Samsung blue lines using Sky RGB

M

madhatter_scfc

Hi I recently bought a new Samsung LE32R51BD and have noticed that when setting the Sky digital picture to RGB, blue vertical lines appear. These are quite subtle and the overall picture is sharper than the 'PAL' setting but i was wondering if there is any solution (Like buying a better quality scart etc?)

Many thanks

This has been mentioned many times with the R41 and R51 Samsung's. As far as i'm aware no one has found a way to get rid of the RGB Sky lines (indeed many people decided they prefered their Sky pictures in PAL anyway). You should do a quick search using the forum's search feature at the top of the page to find the various threads this has been mentioned in just in case there's some more info than what i'm able to give, and to be sure if there's anything you can do about it or not. It's one of those things which there are so many new posts about on such a regular basis that people tend to over-look new threads about it these days.

Sadly, as i say, i've yet to hear of anyone fixing this issue - but good luck. :)

Teppic said:
This has been mentioned many times with the R41 and R51 Samsung's. As far as i'm aware no one has found a way to get rid of the RGB Sky lines (indeed many people decided they prefered their Sky pictures in PAL anyway). You should do a quick search using the forum's search feature at the top of the page to find the various threads this has been mentioned in just in case there's some more info than what i'm able to give, and to be sure if there's anything you can do about it or not. It's one of those things which there are so many new posts about on such a regular basis that people tend to over-look new threads about it these days.

Sadly, as i say, i've yet to hear of anyone fixing this issue - but good luck. :)

Yes, it's been covered before. I've got the same thing with my LE32R41BD and haven't seen a fix. As you say the picture is definitely sharper with RGB and the lines can only occasionaly be seen. However, Tuesday night they were considerably worse and could be seen quite a bit during say Stargate on Sky 1, but last night (Wed) I couldn't see them at all even on the blue screen when switching between channels which is where they're normally easily seen. The picture on all channels was improved as well. Was it my set? Was it Sky? Or was it just my imagination? I'm out tonight so I'll have to wait until Friday night to see if they're permamently gone

I've read a few threads about this problem and get mixed 'solutions'. Some people suggest changing sky box could help, some people say update the firmware on the TV...

My firmware is dated 7th November 2005 and my sky box is by Thompson - installed last week so i believe that firmware is the latest...

Shall i admit defeat and stick with pal or does anyone think i should try a different sky box?!

I also noticed that runing my dvd player through the sky box gives the same banding problem, when directly linking my dvd player to the tv the problem goes.

Any advice greatly received.

It's your sky box. I had problems with faint vertical lines on a Sharp LC26GA3E through the Sky RGB but PAL was fine. OK, I know it's not the same brand, but bear with me. My problem was with the Sky box. After having Sharp round to check over the TV, I had Sky round who swapped the cruddy Amstrad v2 for a Pace v3. The problem has now disappeared!! Magic, the problem should still be there with the DVD player if you've got a dickie TV (my DVD picture through the RGB was spot on - why did I doubt the TV:confused: ). Have a search through the satellite forum for the vertical banding. Vertical bands are a common problem with Sky and even though I didn't notice them on a CRT, the LCD displayed the picture in all its dubious glory.

Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

madhatter_scfc said:
I've read a few threads about this problem and get mixed 'solutions'. Some people suggest changing sky box could help, some people say update the firmware on the TV...

My firmware is dated 7th November 2005 and my sky box is by Thompson - installed last week so i believe that firmware is the latest...

Shall i admit defeat and stick with pal or does anyone think i should try a different sky box?!

I also noticed that runing my dvd player through the sky box gives the same banding problem, when directly linking my dvd player to the tv the problem goes.

Any advice greatly received.

Since you only just had the Sky box installed i'd be tempted to ask for a different brand of Sky box - probably try for a Pace branded box which are often considered among the better Sky boxes (though as to whether it'll fix the RGB lines issue there is conflicting opinions - as ever - with some people saying a Pace box was much better, and some saying it made no difference). Don't let them give you an Amstrad box however, as they're constantly mentioned in threads about this RGB lines problem, as well as being notorious for developing faults. I wouldn't accept a Grundig box either as many people consider them to be little better than the Amstrads.

It definitely sounds like it's more of an issue with the Sky boxes than with the Samsung tv's, although the previous poster is the first person i believe that i've seen complain about this issue with any other brand. The fact that nothing else running directly through your RGB Scart has these lines obviously indicates that your tv's RGB Scart socket is working correctly. :)

Just been on the phone to sky for 30 min..
They wouldn't accept that there is any problem with their sky box! Even had the cheek to tell me to check my internet sources!

They said the only thing they can do is to send an engineer round... but told me the engineer will only be able to swap like for like, so looks like no pace box for me :-(

I'll report back after the engineers been and let you know if there's any special tv/sky box settings that might resolve this problem!

My testing indicates that much of the problem actualy lies with the poor quality RGB decoder that Samsung use. Using a pattern generator the RGB performance was only just higher than that from the composite input!

If you are lucky enough to have an S-Video on the sky box then that is actually a much better performer - at least on my LE23T51. If you don't then the best option is JS Tech RGB to component transcoder but at £145 they are not a cheap option.

Neil

i had this on my sammy.
i found that if i pressed sky on the sky remote..i got the lines..
i pressed tv on the remote..i got rid of them.
i also found that if i put my hand over the top of the remote and pressed sky again, i could change channels on the sky box without the lines.

my tv is a le40r51b

battle.chasers said:
i had this on my sammy.
i found that if i pressed sky on the sky remote..i got the lines..
i pressed tv on the remote..i got rid of them.
i also found that if i put my hand over the top of the remote and pressed sky again, i could change channels on the sky box without the lines.

my tv is a le40r51b

I get this on my 32" Sammy, and the above workaround works...what on earth causes it ? Have a Pace 430N Sky box, have a Phillips HDRW 720 connected, but the lines appear with the DVD player off.:confused:

When you press TV or SKY on the Sky remote it goes into channel change mode but my only connections are to scart 1 RGB enabled, and the coax loop through.
Seems daft that it can show RGB fine and then not.

My only thought is that could it be some form of interference from the coax loop through I use for analogue but also carries the Sky channel. I keep analogue as it means I can record sky and still watch a few channels, BBC 1 and 2 etc, but again, why should it affect the scart ?

Anybody with brains care to try and explain why the same scart connection can show two different qualities, is it in the the sky box outputting a different signal somehow..:lease:

P.S. Don't be put off buying this set anyone, it is great and the above is more of a mystery to me rather than an annoyance.:)

Doing this simply swaps between composite and RGB output from the box over the SCART connection.

In my review of the LE23T51 I suggest that people try swapping between the outputs from the Sky box to see what looks best to their eyes. The RGB decoder is poor on the Samsungs hence minimal improvement over the composite input.

Neil

I have this problem as well with an Amstrad Sky+ box and my LE32R41B, but these lines also existed when I still had my JVC CRT TV, so I just assume it's the sky box.

ceenhad said:
Doing this simply swaps between composite and RGB output from the box over the SCART connection.

In my review of the LE23T51 I suggest that people try swapping between the outputs from the Sky box to see what looks best to their eyes. The RGB decoder is poor on the Samsungs hence minimal improvement over the composite input.

Neil
Just checked, box set on RGB with clear picture, and as soon as I went into the service menu the LCD blanked, and gave a picture with lines. Pressed TV on the Sky remote, blanked, and gave a clear picture without lines.

Both times the EPG in the service menu showed a RGB output...go figure.:confused: :confused: :confused:

It is a great picture on both outputs so it is not a major issue, just a mystery.

I have the same line problems with my LE32R41BD.

I had an old Amstrad box which had no problems on RGB. Sky recently upgraded me to a new Pace box and now I have the Vertical lines. The engineer came back and his only solution was to use PAL.

Can't be bothered to wait another 40 mins to speak to a real person at sky and tell them it's the box (I had no probem with the old one), but would welcome suggestions so I can use RGB again.

Tim

Well...

Engineer came out and was quite baffled to begin with.. suggested just changing the output to pal.
I personally dont think that pal is as good as rgb and my dvd player still has this problem when running though the sky box. The engineer agreed to change the box out of courtesy (thompson for a thompson).. Hey Presto problem solved! The picture was set to RGB, both DVD player and sky channels displaying much better and no lines at all!

Engineer left me alone with new sky box updating the new menu software...
2 minutes after the engineer left.. the software finished updating (green light on box turned off) my tv flickered.. Lines re-appeared!!

SO... Got engineer back and got him to contact a senior sky technical operator and explain to him what happened.. He tried to blame the TV but i had proof that it was the sky box.
Because this is a 'new unheard of problem' the senior technical guy is now looking into compatibility issues with samsung tv's and sky box's. If they find a solution (e.g. better compatibility between different make sky box and my tv) they said they'll send an engineer round to sort it.

Cheers.

Ahoy there!

I've been having problems regarding flickering on some documentary channels (I have a new Samsung LE32R41BD and Sky decoder connected via a new SCART).

After reading comments made by others regarding anomalies with Sky channels on their TV's, I thought I would experiment by pressing the Sky remote TV button whilst viewing the affected channels.

Guess what? It works! When the screen flickers, I am viewing the affected channels via the Sky button. Press the TV button . . no more flicker! OK, you can't scroll through the channels in this mode, so press the Sky button to change channels, but it works.

Why?

Pirate!! said:
Ahoy there!

I've been having problems regarding flickering on some documentary channels (I have a new Samsung LE32R41BD and Sky decoder connected via a new SCART).

After reading comments made by others regarding anomalies with Sky channels on their TV's, I thought I would experiment by pressing the Sky remote TV button whilst viewing the affected channels.

Guess what? It works! When the screen flickers, I am viewing the affected channels via the Sky button. Press the TV button . . no more flicker! OK, you can't scroll through the channels in this mode, so press the Sky button to change channels, but it works.

Why?

Yeah ! we know..read the thread, you can change channels by pressing SKY, but not so the TV sees it, but as soon as you want to look at the Guide you are back again........'tis a bugger. Just out of interest what box ? as mine is a Pace 430N I think it is called, 8 months old.

A Nobel Prize awaits someone with a fix :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom