Samsung Blu-ray Speaker Connectivity Issue

R

Ruffneck

Hi all.
I wonder if anyone could please advise on the following.

My current set-up is as follows
I currently own a Samsung 5.1 DVD Home Cinema system (Apologies, i cant remember the exact spec) and Samsung LCD TV. They are 'Anynet' Enabled.

My xbox 360 is connected to the cinema system via optical cable for auxillary surround sound and the cinema is also connected via optical to the TV for Tuner surround sound.

The speakers are the type which are colour coded square connectors (Not component though), ie red for surround, blue sub, etc,etc.

I want to upgrade my standard DVD to Blu-ray and was hoping to do a straight Samsung swap, basically in order to keep the set-up as it is but subtitute SD for HD.

My problem, is however that i cant seem to find a blu-ray with the same connections for the speakers. They all seem to be component or HDMI. Is there such a thing available on the market or has this type of connection become defunct?

Any advice would be appreciated

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Hi all.
I wonder if anyone could please advise on the following.

My current set-up is as follows
I currently own a Samsung 5.1 DVD Home Cinema system (Apologies, i cant remember the exact spec) and Samsung LCD TV. They are 'Anynet' Enabled.

My xbox 360 is connected to the cinema system via optical cable for auxillary surround sound and the cinema is also connected via optical to the TV for Tuner surround sound.

The speakers are the type which are colour coded square connectors (Not component though), ie red for surround, blue sub, etc,etc.

I want to upgrade my standard DVD to Blu-ray and was hoping to do a straight Samsung swap, basically in order to keep the set-up as it is but subtitute SD for HD.

My problem, is however that i cant seem to find a blu-ray with the same connections for the speakers. They all seem to be component or HDMI. Is there such a thing available on the market or has this type of connection become defunct?

Any advice would be appreciated

Welcome to the forum. :)
What you would need to do is connect the BD player to your cinema system (optical) for surround sound :smashin: i'm guessing there's only one optical Input on your system?
All the best.

R

Ruffneck

Hi Kingfats.
Thanks for the reply.

This option has been considered, although i'd have preferred to just have the 1 unit rather than 2. ie straight swap.

I have looked at blu ray cinema systems but to be honest they cost a fortune and it seems ashame to have to get rid of the current one which runs great.

I may have to bite the bullet and have 2 stacked units rather than just one. Presumably the cinema system running as a amp/hub

And yes, in answer to your other question there is only 1 optical jack in the cinema system but i've got a toslink splitter (1 to xbox and 1 to tv) - off topic, this has a small impact on the output of the sound volume)

R

Ruffneck

Just an update on my earlier query.
I have sorted my surround sound issue and have got used the the fact that there will be more units on my TV stand (incidentally took delivery of Sky HD this week so i automatically ended up with an additional box)

I purchased a 3way toslink switch box for the optical jacks so there is 1 for the sky box, 1 for the xbox and a 3rd for the future Blu-ray unit.

Now to change the focus of my original post, could anyone please advise of the best value for money Samsung Blu-ray so i can link it with Any-net

Or alternatively provide comment on the PS3 blu-ray capability. I am undecided what to go for on that front.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Now to change the focus of my original post, could anyone please advise of the best value for money Samsung Blu-ray so i can link it with Any-net

Or alternatively provide comment on the PS3 blu-ray capability. I am undecided what to go for on that front.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Richer sounds and the 1600?
PS3's great if you want all the extras it can do. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom