Samsung bets big on Bixby for the connected home

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by hodg100, Jan 8, 2018.

1. hodg100

hodg100
      Previously Mark Hodgkinson

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,450
    2. xxGBHxx

xxGBHxx

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +403
      All I hope is that they're making massive improvements to Bixby because right now it's nothing but downright awful and shouldn't be anywhere near the center of any strategy. It's slow, unresponsive, anything but intelligent and just not fit for purpose in most cases.

If I were being cynical (and I'm good at that) I think all these manufacturers are trying to create another Apple where everything is "proprietary" and only works with their own stuff. Bixby is dire with anything that isn't Samsung and worse is it's not good with Samsung stuff either. Other thing is do we really need yet another voice assistant :/

3. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,200
      Strikes me they'd be better off getting their systems to play nice with Google and Amazon's assistants. I haven't tried Bixby myself but my mates installed the Google assistant on his S8 and bought a Google Home as he agrees with your assessment.

To my mind a voice speaker should just be another interface and not necessarily the heart of IoT. I've got similar thoughts about the Echo plus, if you want a hub get a hub, don't rely on a poor implementation built into a speaker or fridge.

Having said that smartthings appeals to me but I'd want to control it with my own choice of voice assistant.