Samsung BDP1000 £599

fatfingers73

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is old news but Richer Sounds are doing the sammy for £599.

The price of this is coming down fast - even Curry's who normally sell everything for RRP is selling this for £850!

I wouldn't be happy if I paid £899 that richer sounds were charging two weeks ago :eek:

Got my Sammy from Richer Sounds last weekend.
Nice price, compared to other retail outlets. Supposed they might have priced matched with Richer Sounds.

What i would like to know is, how do you tell if it has the latest firmware update?
Went through menu set up, but could not find.
PQ seems a bit soft on free disc SWAT, AQ awesome though.
Read on AVS, that PQ was slightly soft up untill latest update.
Don't have the time to scroll through numerous posts regarding updates.

Any replys?

£599, eh?

Hmmm.

That's starting to get into the territory where I'd consider buying it instead of a PS3.

On another note, this looks quite a panic, doesn't it. I can understand a drop from an msrp of £1,000 to £599 after several months, but to drop the price so quickly by so much makes me think Samsung are desperate - especially considering that I think they were selling them at only a very small profit to start with.

Steve W

I'm holding out for the Sammy to hit the sub-£100 mark. Probably some time next week then! :D

Has anyone ever seen price drops like this within weeks of a products release?

According to this thread over on AVS the Samsung is now discontinued, which might explain why the price is tumbling. Apparently can be bought new for as little as $589 now in the US, that's what, £300?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=766628

Allan

Given its history of problems and lack of support for key audio formats, networking, locked noise reduction etc I guess Samsung is almost prepared to give it away to move some boxes. £599 is still too expensive IMO for this unit and I suspect a replacement G2 is in the wings for Q1.;)

AVI

you would be better of importing a ps3 the blu-ray playback is far better than the samsung and panasonic:thumbsup:

Given its history of problems and lack of support for key audio formats, networking, locked noise reduction etc I guess Samsung is almost prepared to give it away to move some boxes. £599 is still too expensive IMO for this unit and I suspect a replacement G2 is in the wings for Q1.;)

AVI

RS is at the end of the audio visual food chain and when hardware appears in there shops the livetime on other retailer shelfs is numbered.

I heard that samsung has become so desprate to shift the last few rejects that as from friday you can get one in the usa with a macdonalds happy meal and they get a 2% cut..!! :D

I heard that samsung has become so desprate to shift the last few rejects that as from friday you can get one in the usa with a macdonalds happy meal and they get a 2% cut..!! :D

i wonder how much money samsung made on the first batch of BD compared to toshiba

Lol funniest thing i've read all day, thanks :)

What i would like to know is, how do you tell if it has the latest firmware update?
The UK model hasn't had any firmware updates yet...ergo it's already at the 'latest' version. That said the problems that effected the US player were 'fixed' before shipping on the UK model - hence the lack of any updates.

i saw the UK model in harrods yesterday...........and all i can say it looked awfull:eek:
if you never knew it was a blu-ray player it would have easy passed as a standard player

i wonder how much money samsung made on the first batch of BD compared to toshiba

yes you have hit the nail on the head i agree as it was £999 i expect they made around 95% profit which is rather greedy :D

But the tosh well who knows that is a quality player , if the company has made cash or lost it,well right now that does not matter as for a first effort of a new format it is a highly rated player even to this very day and thats all that matters the customer is happy , which cant be said for the samsung :thumbsdow .

quote Like Kourosh said " i saw the UK model in harrods yesterday...........and all i can say it looked awfull
if you never knew it was a blu-ray player it would have easy passed as a standard player"

i have seen it aswell many times in action hell my m8 was gulible enough to buy one at launch ,he gave it a chance and waited out the firmware and then gave up on it because he came to his senses and got shot of it.

How can anyone justify spending £999 or even todays price of around £500 is beyond me for such cack,my m8 was actually traumertised when he sat down and done a reality check of his purchase , and to be fair even at its price now i would say if your going to spend that kind of cash your better off getting the ps3 if your desprate to get into BLU-ray as the stndalones are too much money for such little or poor performance, no one is saying the panasonic or sony are crap its just way off target with its pricing as will the pioneer be when it hits these shores for what it actually acheives as a player when at the drop of a hat you could go purchase a gen 2 HD-DVD player.

Hopefully samsung are producing a decent GEN 2 Blu-ray player right now as we speak and price this one sensibly according to its spec and performance because thats all anybody wants at the end of the day it was the first one on the market and took hell of a bashing ,which it deserved cuz of price and performance and they can take this away and learn by there mistakes which is the main thing.

Alot of people get confused and think its all fanboyism in regards to the format wars but with me and i expect many others its just common sense of where to put your money right now if you really must buy into one of these two formats from a finacial point of view HD caters and delivers for everyone where as BD unfortunatley is very expensive and way out of most peoples budget when its not doing anything better than HD-DVD is let alone match it half the time.It just comes down to the Blu ray pricing of its players are all wrong, ok so it costs alot to produce them and what not but its not the publics fault they did not ask for expensive players that are not living up to the hype we have been hearing for the last two years where as HD-DVD has been a very quiet on its advertising front and has proggressed nicely from a price and performance point of view with little or no issues with most things along the way and thats just froma couple of companys..

Give me a a top end sony or pioneer BLU-RAY player that is 100% flawless with HD - DVD performance and pricing and i too will join the dark side but untill that day happends i simply cant afford it and have to stick with what is giving best bang for bucks.

Would anyone who has experience with the Samsung recomend the player, especially for £400, and without any requirement for next gen audio?

Rascazk.

Thanks for the info. Wasn't aware that the UK model had latest updates.
Emailed Samsung to register purchase & any updates available, no reply so far.

Just waiting for Movietyme & Amazon to get there "finger out" in sending me some more Region 0 discs. Been on order for over three weeks.

Between the Sammy & my Tosh import, i much prefer the Tosh PQ to the Sammy, on the few discs i have played, but Blu-ray sounds a bit more direct.

I know that it isn't True HD sound compatible, but PCM 5.1 sounds better i think than the Tosh True HD soundtrack.

£599, eh?

Hmmm.

That's starting to get into the territory where I'd consider buying it instead of a PS3.

Steve W

yeh, good point, me to!

you would be better of importing a ps3 the blu-ray playback is far better than the samsung and panasonic:thumbsup:

hi, how do you know the ps3 is better?
thanks

There doesn't seem to be much in the PQ for all Blu-Ray players, some just have better features and audio.

The two top performance models to buy today are either:

Panasonic or the Sony.

Panasonic is better with SDDVD upscaled, however they are both highend units and would satisfy anyone.

The two top performance models to buy today are either:

Panasonic or the Sony.
The Samsung actually performs equally on PQ and better on LPCM audio IMHO than the Panasonic. Naturally it lacks Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio support - but then so does most of the software at present.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom