• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung BDP-*600 in combination with AV32R

WillyP

Standard Member
Hi all,

This is a quote from another thread.
The best compromise seems to be the Bluray players that re-encode all soundtracks to full bitrate DTS and output over SPDIF, such as the Samsung BDP-1600. You can then feed your TAG the best quality sound over SPDIF and have TMREQ.

My AV32R doesn't have the bypass option so I have no access to the new HD Audio formats. Who has tried a Samsung Bluray player (I am thinking about the BDP-3600) in combination with an AV32R? Does the AV32R accept the high DTS bit rates? Is the audio quality a step up from normal DTS?

Thanks in advance,

Willy

orange55

Prominent Member
Hi all,

This is a quote from another thread.

My AV32R doesn't have the bypass option so I have no access to the new HD Audio formats. Who has tried a Samsung Bluray player (I am thinking about the BDP-3600) in combination with an AV32R? Does the AV32R accept the high DTS bit rates? Is the audio quality a step up from normal DTS?

Thanks in advance,

Willy
I have tried the Pioneer with the Optical output, you don't get the HD sound, but it is good, better than the DVD equivalent DD/DTS sound track.

WillyP

Standard Member
@pixphipau

I have read the same stories about the older models of Samsung but I was hoping that the new models didn't have these flaws anymore. Which model did you have?

@orange55
A Pioneer Bluray player would be a good option for me because I have also a Pioneer LCD Television. I don't doubt what you have heard but I can't see a particular reason why the Pioneer sounds better than a DVD32R for DD/DTS.

In another thread you wrote that as a DVD player you liked the DVD32R better than the Pioneer BDP-LX08, but does that have something to do with the PSM192? I am asking this because I have a plain vanilla DVD32R and I don't know if it will be a better DVD player also than the Pioneer.

Of course I would prefer good sound all of the time to very good sound some of the time.

Regards,

Willy

WillyP

Standard Member
OK. So no Samsung for me.

Regards,

Willy

Mr_Orange

Prominent Member
There is also the Samsung BDP-2600. No idea if that is any better though. Try asking up in the Bluray section - Kingfats will be the man to know if anybody does :).

thorsten

Standard Member
Hi,
I just got a Samsung 3600 and connected it digitally (AV32R dp). I works without problems with the DTS-Stream. Is ist better? I don't know, because switching isn't possible in seconds. But I love the sound :D

I want to compare the 5.1-analog-in Dolby TrueHD to digital-DTS plus TMREQ but it will take some more time because the measurements don't work (use REW and an new Laptop, but something with the full-duplex-mode of the sundcard doesn't work...)

Regards,
Thorsten

WillyP

Standard Member
Hi,

Thanks for all the answers!

@Thorsten: have you tried the re-encode option already? I would like to know if it sounds better than normal DD or DTS.

Cheers,

Willy

Mr_Orange

Prominent Member
The theory is, it will, because it is full bit-rate (1.5mbps) DTS as opposed to the max rate of 768kbps on DVD.

msrhedges

Standard Member
There are many very knowledgeable people who post to this forum, I very much enjoy reading it. I have obtained some of the best advice that I have ever had from some members.

Here is my experience and to be quite honest I am not going to be replacing my TAG kit anytime soon.

Full HD sound maybe better but I wonder whether the investment needed to properly realise it is justifed, for myself anyway.

I use a Samsung BDP 1500 which re-encodes all soundtracks to full rate DTS over SPDIF. Full rate DTS at 1.5 Mbit/sec really does make a difference to the sound quality as it has twice the bit rate of DVD, the rear channels come alive and my sub a Monitor Audio Platinum PL15 just slams the action. I am convinced that the electronics in the Tag really is first rate and capable of doing a very good job. The first time I heard full rate DTS was from an HDDVD disk and remember picking up the disk cover and wondering why the sound was so good. I was not expecting it and did not know at the time that the Tag could do Full rate DTS.

I have used the bypass option on my AV32r BP192 with my Toshiba HD-EP35 HDDVD player but was disappointed with the result.

I have played many Blueray disks on the BDP 1500 without problems. It also provides a very good display on my Pioneer LX5090 plasma.

However the DVD playback is not as good as on my DVD32FR player so I use a combination of both.

orange55

Prominent Member
@orange55
In another thread you wrote that as a DVD player you liked the DVD32R better than the Pioneer BDP-LX08, but does that have something to do with the PSM192? I am asking this because I have a plain vanilla DVD32R and I don't know if it will be a better DVD player also than the Pioneer.

Of course I would prefer good sound all of the time to very good sound some of the time.

Regards,

Willy
Hi Willy

I have tested the DVD32R with component without PSM with a QED reference cable and the DVD quality is still better than the Pioneer DVD.

The non-PSM is very good, the PSM covers up a few digital compression artcifacts on the DVD but with a good TV it looks very good indeed. I think the difference is slightly smaller these days as the TV's are much better at taking the 560i or 560p signal and upscaling it to the resolution of the TV?

Finally, have you thought about getting a DP processor with 5.1 input? There is one for sale on this site, I upgraded recently to a DP and the TMEQ makes a massive difference, but I still use the blue ray player with the 5.1 bypass as I prefer it personally.

Hope that helps?

WillyP

Standard Member
Hi Orange55,

Thanks for the answer. At the moment I am really enjoying my DVD32R so I haven't bought a Blu Ray player yet. I read both positive and negative tests about the Samsung. Also the new Pioneer BD-320 is not without flaws: it has no coaxial digital output anymore and there seems to be a problem when you are using the optical output.

Of course I have been thinking about a DP, but it is a bit complicated to buy a DP from abroad. In the first place, I would like to have a real DP, not an upgraded SP because of problems with the power supply and in the second place, how can I know without testing if the unit is in a good condition? I may have a humble SP without by-pass but it is still functioning impeccably.

Regards,

Willy

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom