Samsung BDP-1600 issues or not?

Simon-2k

Novice Member
Im thinking of one of these players but I just read this by chance on some amazon review (i know its not ideal place to look - but i just noticed when looking at prices)

I bought one of these machines just a few days ago and frankly, I am disappointed. It cannot play back Quantum of Solace or The Dark Knight without audio problems. There are no firmware updates available as the machine is so new. Here we are once more harking back to the bad old days of DVD when you'd buy a player and hope it would play the latest release. The BD-P1600 plays back DVDs just fine and it managed the Blu-ray version of The Thing without incident. Here's hoping for a firmware update soon.
Is this a real issue with these players? I was thinking of popping to RS later where they have them for only £135.

Thanks

Simon

Last edited:

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Just read this:

I bought one of these machines just a few days ago and frankly, I am disappointed. It cannot play back Quantum of Solace or The Dark Knight without audio problems. There are no firmware updates available as the machine is so new. Here we are once more harking back to the bad old days of DVD when you'd buy a player and hope it would play the latest release. The BD-P1600 plays back DVDs just fine and it managed the Blu-ray version of The Thing without incident. Here's hoping for a firmware update soon.

Is this a real issue with these players? I was thinking of popping to RS later where they have them for only £135.

Thanks

Simon
Have you reported the issues to Samsung?

Simon-2k

Novice Member
Have you reported the issues to Samsung?
Sorry Ive edited the original post to make it clearer - its not actually mine yet, so I have no experiences of the 1600.

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
My mate bought this player and has had numerous issues:

Disc not playing
No main menu on disc playback
Some sort of drive noise

Since playing a BD title, can't recal what it was, these problems have gone.

However, it doesn't seem to syn with his Samsung tv taking ages to handshake although he hasn't tried it yet direct to TV, it could be his audiolab processor.

So not really looking to good at the moment, too many issues although I have to say, my player worked perfectly from day one.

Weird.

rich78

Got the above player linked to my Samsung 40B650, haven't had any issues with it, played my Dark Knight blu-ray just fine, it does take a while for (not so)-Wise-Link to pick it up, but what is 3-5 seconds out of your life? The sharpish load time of the discs more than makes up for it.

Remember you get a feature packed BD player for £140 approx, its not going to be 100% perfect compared to more expensive models. If thats your budget then I'd say go for it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom