• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung BD-P1620

DaveX09

Standard Member
Hello all, noob poster here so be gentle! :hiya:

A friend of mine uses this site so I thought I'd join in and share a few of my experiences with the above blu-ray player.

I bought the player from Currys Digital on August 14th, didn't want to spend the earth on a player and as I already had a good Samsung TV and PVR I thought it a good bet at £179.99.

I've only bought three movies so far, two of which have given me a lot of problems, Angels and Demons green-screens after twenty minutes and Crank 2 is flaky to say the least, though I have managed to watch it through all the way once. During the month or so I've had it, the player has had two firmware updates, which have applied successfully, I hoped these would address the issues but sadly not. My third film, V for Vendetta, has given me no problems.

Now to the crux of the matter, I turned the machine on this past friday to watch a normal DVD with the missis, and now it won't even come on at all! ...no display. The LCD stays on "loading" and doesn't even say "No Disc" when neither a DVD or blu-ray disc is inserted. I've tried holding down the next chapter key for five seconds (as detailed in the manual) to restore factory defaults but this has no effect.

After an hour of fiddling with the TV and changing HDMI leads/ports I resigned myself to taking it back to the shop...but upon doing so I found that Currys Digital give you a mere 28 days guarantee. 28 DAYS! Either I'm becoming an old fuddy-duddy ahead of my time but I'd expect a little more than this! Essentially the player is dead in the water less that two months after purchase. They may well say "ah but you didn't buy extended warranty/cover" but this is what I'd expect to be considering after 12 months of use not 1 and a half months! I wanted my money back but instead saw my player winging its way for repair, perhaps never to be seen again!

Oh well, there we are anyway. Considering a complaint to Currys but not sure it will get me anywhere.

Thanks for listening, it's good to share! :D

toodeep

The retailer (not the manufacturer) has obligations to you lasting many years (and not just one, or a fraction thereof) under the Sales of Goods Act. Assuming that it isn't your finger prints on the discs that is the problem the retailer should repair/replace the player.

DaveX09

Standard Member
The retailer (not the manufacturer) has obligations to you lasting many years (and not just one, or a fraction thereof) under the Sales of Goods Act. Assuming that it isn't your finger prints on the discs that is the problem the retailer should repair/replace the player.

Well in their favour they have sent the player away for repair at (allegidly) no cost to myself. But even so, this means I am without my goods for up to 28 days. I feel agrieved by the fact that under two months I have no option for a refund. I could understand if the same had happened under 12 months, but under 2 is a little off in my opinion. :thumbsdow

awink1

Distinguished Member
Well in their favour they have sent the player away for repair at (allegidly) no cost to myself. But even so, this means I am without my goods for up to 28 days. I feel agrieved by the fact that under two months I have no option for a refund. I could understand if the same had happened under 12 months, but under 2 is a little off in my opinion. :thumbsdow

That's standard though. The units that fail within the first 28 days are considered DOA (Dead on Arrival) and they dealt with by sales (internally) everything older than that becomes a service issue. Service Departments tend to have much lower budgets and the best you can hope for is a refurbished unit. That's with the vast majority of retailers.

I'm not trying to defend them, it's just the way it is unfortunately and we have to suffer the consequences.

DaveX09

Standard Member
That's standard though. The units that fail within the first 28 days are considered DOA (Dead on Arrival) and they dealt with by sales (internally) everything older than that becomes a service issue. Service Departments tend to have much lower budgets and the best you can hope for is a refurbished unit. That's with the vast majority of retailers.

I'm not trying to defend them, it's just the way it is unfortunately and we have to suffer the consequences.

Indeed we do, just felt like a bit of a rant to make me feel better to be honest! There's always my PS3 for blu-ray, which incedentally plays all three of my movies without any problem! Just a bit of a bind to have wasted nearly £200 on a seperate player.

Vitani

Standard Member
This is a brilliant article, well worth reading about consumer laws - BBC NEWS | Magazine | Five consumer laws you really ought to know

In your particular case the Sale of Good act applies. From the article:

The Sale of Goods Act says that your [BluRay] player must be fit for purpose
"It must be as described. It must be of satisfactory quality, sufficiently durable, free from any defects," says Dr Christian Twigg-Flesner, a consumer law expert at the University of Hull.

[Provided] the player has been lovingly treated and has still conked out that suggests something may have been wrong with it at the very beginning.

It works like this. For the first four-five weeks you have a "right of rejection" - if the item you've bought breaks down, you can demand a refund.

For the next six months, you are entitled to replacement or repair of the goods. It is up to the retailer to prove there was nothing wrong with it if they wish to get out of having to do the work. And then after six months, there is still a duty to replace or repair faulty goods, but the onus is on you, the consumer, to prove that there was something wrong

Sale of Good Act Fact Sheet - Sale of Goods Act Fact Sheet - BIS

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom