Samsung BD-P1600A Defective!

cicimici44

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I bought this blu-ray player a year ago and it played great, I mean everything. After a few months later I plugged in my ethernet cable, and taraam, an update showed up. I noticed that my blu-ray started to act weird: jamming, freezeing, stuck on load, etc.. After that it updated to 4-5 more firmwares. And, it stucks, freezes, etc. I can't revert back to factory settings. I've tried everything. I called Samsung support, local support, e-mail, and no one seems to help. The only answer is that: " Send your unit for service, and blah, blah blah!". The unit wasn't defective until their firware updates screwed it. And, not to mention how much expensive is for me to be doing these service calls. Two days ago, I noticed that there is another firware update 2.13. After two days of torturing myself to get this unit not freezing on me, I updated it successfully, and now it is stuck on Load.

My guess would be that the loader is broken, or something similar these "viral" updates had done.

If anyone has any ideas or advices, please help, because I am at the point of smashing this black good-for-nothing brick.

Thanks in advance,

Not to be a smart arse but other than replacing it (with a non Samsung) or sending it in for repair I don't see what you can do. It's well known that Samsung Blu Rays are erratic and that firmware updates are released without fully testing them. If the machine is bricked it's proabbly going to need an expert to look at it. I'm lucky that my Samsung seems to be on a fairly stable firmware and I live in fear of finding a disc that won't play and having to update it.

It's well known that Samsung Blu Rays are erratic and that firmware updates are released without fully testing them..

:confused: Is it??

I doubt there is any evidence to prove they are any more erratic or 'un-tested' than any other manufacturer. If you have this proof please let us know.

Unfortunately BR players are far more complex than DVD players and these types of issues do arise with most players and manufacturers. I do however agree with agent999, that now you seem to have a limited choice, either send away for repair or replace?

If you are unhappy with the service you recieve from Samsung or your supplier, then I suggest you complain to them if you haven't already.

It's well known that Samsung Blu Rays are erratic and that firmware updates are released without fully testing them. If the machine is bricked it's proabbly going to need an expert to look at it. I'm lucky that my Samsung seems to be on a fairly stable firmware and I live in fear of finding a disc that won't play and having to update it.

I've had a Samsung BDP1580 since last Christmas when it arrived with firmware V2.05. Several updates later and I'm at V2.12 and all is well so I can't agree with the comment about firmware releases.

Secondly I would add that I've used USB memory sticks as the upgrade route rather than ethernet and found it problem free. Perhaps trying that route might help.The 1580 was bought as a present for me and would not have been my first choice but I've been well pleased over the last twelve months.

:confused: Is it??QUOTE]

Well there aren't too many happy punters or the CNet forum. True it's all anecdotal, but any manufacturer that puts out a firmware patch which prevents the player from loading Warner and Fox Blu Ray discs and then has to rapidly withdraw it two days later clearly isn't putting the proper effort into testing!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a Samsung BDP1580 since last Christmas when it arrived with firmware V2.05. Several updates later and I'm at V2.12 and all is well so I can't agree with the comment about firmware releases.

Secondly I would add that I've used USB memory sticks as the upgrade route rather than ethernet and found it problem free. Perhaps trying that route might help.The 1580 was bought as a present for me and would not have been my first choice but I've been well pleased over the last twelve months.

Hi dave, i have this player but hav'nt updated it yet, is yours still ok with the updates & if the firmware does mess up the player wouldnt Samsung be responsible for it?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom