Samsung BD-H5500 external hard drive compatibility issues

Jodc

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new on here and have a slight understanding of tech but not great. Any help is appreciated but please dumb it down so I can follow.

To start I'll layout my home setup that has been running fine for a few years now. I have a samsung 7 series 40" LED tv (circa 2009), connected to that was a PS3 and SKY HD box. I have a Western Digital Mybook live 2TB (NAS) linked in to my home network. I have backed up some of my DVD collection (approx 420) as digital files (m4v & MP4) on the NAS, this has a built in Twonky Media player that allowed me to stream my movies to the PS3 and watch it on the TV.

I decided to sell my PS3 towards funding the purchase of a PS4, I tried the DLNA function on the TV to see if this would stream from my NAS, it recognised the files but gave the message "file not supported". This then brought me round to buying a replacement BluRay player in the mean time. Due to only being a temporary measure till I get the PS4 and then it will be going in my sons room we opted for the player listed.

When I got it home and installed it, I checked the DLNA straight away and the same issue as the TV. IT doesn't seem to be able to stream the MP4 or m4v files via DLNA. I tried copying one of each type on to a USB flash drive and the player read them ok and I was able to watch them on the TV. I then tried plugging my back up 2tb hard drive (formatted FAT 32) in to the USB port, again it recognised the drive and the list of movies but would not play them with the message "unsupported format".

When I copy an AVI file to each the NAS and external hard drive it reads both and plays them on the TV.

Why would it play the usb flash drive and not the HDD when it's the exact same file that is being accessed ?

The only other thing I can see is converting all of the movies on the HDD to AVI and leaving that plugged in. I don't want to change the file types on the NAS, we use this when we are away in holiday and can stream the movies to our iPad and iPhones and this won't work on the devices if they are changed to AVI.

Sorry for boring everyone but I tried to put everything I can think of in the initial post. Please help as my head is fried with this.

Thanks Jod

There is a problem with samsung players and twonky, you could get a wdtv and use window file share instead of dlna this would work. Is the usb drive portable or does it have its own power supply? If its portable it may not have enough oomph to power it, again wdtv would probably be ok with the drive, or you could try a powered usb hub. It could also be your tv doesnt support 2tb drives.

Thanks for the reply, the 2tb hard drive has its own power supply and I know it works fine as when I copy an AVI file to it, it plays fine on the tv. What I'm really struggling to understand is when I put an MP4 and m4v file on to an 8gb memory stick and plug it in to the bluray player it works fine. When I copy the exact same file on to my external hard drive and plug it in to the player (works fine with AVI file) shows unsupported format ?

Thanks for such a quick response

When I copy the exact same file on to my external hard drive and plug it in to the player (works fine with AVI file) shows unsupported format
Copy the MP4 file to several different folders on your external drive and try playing all of them.

I have a 3 TB external drive plugged into my Samsung BD-F6500 and it gives an "unsupported file" message with about 30% of .MKV and MP4 files I transfer from my computer.

It's got so that I copy every new file to a couple of folders and one of them will usually play.

Sometimes though, none will play and I have to delete them all and transfer again from the computer.

Every file has played eventually so this is obviously not a problem of "incompatibility", whatever the Samsung may say.

I think it would help if there was some way of refreshing the external drive.

I've noticed that when I plug the drive into the computer and rename files, sometimes the Samsung still shows their old names when I reconnect - although it plays them without any problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom