Samsung BD-F6500 Smart 3D Blu-Ray Player

Paddy Shed 13C

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I hope someone can help me. We recently purchased a new Samsung TV and Blu-Ray player - BD-F6500. Both have been excellent and we have no complaints for far. Mind you our previous TV combo was over 11 years old!

We have a few USA DVDs that we bought before similar versions became available in the UK (this was a few years back). As you probably know, by default the Samsung BD-F6500 cannot play these DVDs as they are not region 2 compatible.

Could someone please tell me if it is possible to make this player multi-region for the playing of DVDs?

Many thanks

Paddy

Hi Paddy.

I've used the instructions for the earlier samsung models and it seems to work with my box here in Oz (purchased yesterday, I have some UK dvd's I need to play).

To recap:

Turn off/on.
Wait for system to load (boy it's quick).
Open/close disc tray (I didn't do this)
Press Repeat (try Stop if you don't have repeat on the remote).
Type in your region code (Oz was 76884, same as earlier models)
Current region number appears in top right corner.
Quickly press 9 to go multi-region free.
9 appears and seems to be set.

Region codes
1 - 2 9 3 3 4
2 - 5 7 5 3 8
3 - 5 6 7 3 2
4 - 7 6 8 8 4
5 - 5 3 8 1 4

I thought I had taken too long to make the change and started with Repeat, 76884 again but I actually just changed the region to 7.

So I hit Repeat, 76884 and 7 came up, pressed 9 and all good.

Seems we have a bit more time to type in the code for the change.

Now when I hit the Repeat 76884, the region is shown as 9.

And just tested and both region 2 (Crouching Tiger,..) and 4 (Oz version of Call the Midwife) are playing without issue.

Hope this helps people in 2013.

Thank you for the reply. Alas, I have tried this numerous times using both the REPEAT and STOP keys without success. The player reports it is running software version 1008.

Any more ideas?

Paddy

Just checked and found my FW is 1006.

Not sure if you know but if you've already changed the region 5 times you won't be able to do it any longer, could this be the problem? (This will happen if you put different region discs in although you should get a warning).

I also recommend you try the other region codes. It looks like the system always uses the original region code. Once I changed mine to 7 I still used region 4 code to bring up the change

Perhaps yours has been set to region 2 but was made for region 5 so they changed it to 2.

Not sure there's anything else to try.

Good luck

Not sure if you know but if you've already changed the region 5 times you won't be able to do it any longer, could this be the problem? (This will happen if you put different region discs in although you should get a warning).

Are you sure about this? I have never experienced that on a blu-ray or DVD player before. Only on DVD-ROMS in a computer.

All the players I have made regionfree you can change the region unlimited.

Are you sure about this? I have never experienced that on a blu-ray or DVD player before. Only on DVD-ROMS in a computer.

All the players I have made regionfree you can change the region unlimited.

Nope, not sure at all so I will bow to your greater wisdom and kick that idea out the door.

I've known about it on the roms and made an ass-umption :facepalm:. First player I've had in 10 years (have an aging HTPC with limited WAF).

As a pc repairer I've come up against the problem a few times but of course they are not players.

Well that just leaves Paddy trying out different region codes. I've now updated to 1008 and it still shows the region (9) when I hit repeat 76884.

Thanks for catching that one Viking :thumbsup:

I'm having no luck. Can someone tell me what screen you are supposed to enter Repeat and so on? AM I correct to think that it's at the screen showing all the iPlayers movies YouTube etc.

I have tried every code and still haven't had any luck.

Hi Kraken.

I've attached a blurry image of the screen I get when I turn the box on complete with the (distorted) 9 in the top right corner. Apologies for the image, wife was using my phone.

So, turn on the box and get first screen, wait for a minute then do the code. Don't do anything else after turning on.

ie
Repeat 76884 9

The time between the repeat and each of the region code digits should be quite fast but once there it seems to last a minute or two and will take multiple changes to the region after that.

HTH

Attachments

• 20130607_062648.jpg
    20130607_062648.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 3,577
Hi guys,
I have the HT-F6500, which I assume comes with the same numbered blue ray player. On the back it just says ht-f6500. I bought it in Germany, which world be region 2. I followed the instructions above as well as various variations I found around the web, but to no avail. Either I'm too slow, which I doubt since I've got that code sequence pretty practiced, or it doesn't work for my new player. I never see the current region code displayed and therefore can't change it.

Firmware it says is version 1007.

Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated!

Yep I am the same - still no luck with this. I have tried fast, slow etc. but never see the current region code displayed.

Argh!!

Paddy

Well at least I'm not alone. Do you think is the new firmware? I was thinking it might be different remotes. What model so you have?

I don't think it's a firmware issue, mine still works after upgrading to 1008.

Probably the remote codes, I'll see if my harmony remote can help but give me a day or two to have a look.

Hi Folks,

Still no joy on this for me. Anyone managed to get this to work?

Best regards

Paddy

I do not need this to work but I tried it anyway, several times, and it does not work for me either.
UK version with latest firmware.

Hi Paddy.

I've used the instructions for the earlier samsung models and it seems to work with my box here in Oz (purchased yesterday, I have some UK dvd's I need to play).

To recap:

Turn off/on.
Wait for system to load (boy it's quick).
Open/close disc tray (I didn't do this)
Press Repeat (try Stop if you don't have repeat on the remote).
Type in your region code (Oz was 76884, same as earlier models)
Current region number appears in top right corner.
Quickly press 9 to go multi-region free.
9 appears and seems to be set.

Region codes
1 - 2 9 3 3 4
2 - 5 7 5 3 8
3 - 5 6 7 3 2
4 - 7 6 8 8 4
5 - 5 3 8 1 4

I thought I had taken too long to make the change and started with Repeat, 76884 again but I actually just changed the region to 7.

So I hit Repeat, 76884 and 7 came up, pressed 9 and all good.

Seems we have a bit more time to type in the code for the change.

Now when I hit the Repeat 76884, the region is shown as 9.

And just tested and both region 2 (Crouching Tiger,..) and 4 (Oz version of Call the Midwife) are playing without issue.

Hope this helps people in 2013.

It took a couple of tries but it certainly worked for me!! thanks heaps!!

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these but need to know if the region change process works, I'm based in Oz as well.

I'm in Perth and can confirm the change worked fine with the one I got (i have uk region dvd's to test plus it shows up).

Model no. on sticker is BD-F6500/XY made in Indonesia, purchased at HN in June.

I mentioned earlier that I was going to try my harmony but when I went to do it, it had finally died. Years of the light staying on finally took out the battery I think.

I'm in Perth and can confirm the change worked fine with the one I got (i have uk region dvd's to test plus it shows up).

Model no. on sticker is BD-F6500/XY made in Indonesia, purchased at HN in June.

I mentioned earlier that I was going to try my harmony but when I went to do it, it had finally died. Years of the light staying on finally took out the battery I think.

Thank you for the confirmation, How do you find Harvey Norman custiomer service???

Hi Guys, I've got software 1014 and can't get the region number to appear, never mind change it! Any ideas? I DO have a 'repeat' button BUT it doesn't seem to do anything! Please help!!

I'm interested to see how to get this to work for BD-F6500 in UK also.

Another one here with v1014 firmware and I can confirm what Masterjee says about the region number never appearing. It looks like Samsung have 'fixed' this hack. Has anyone found an alternative way to make it region free?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom