Samsung BD-F6500/BD-F7500 Owners' Thread

okdokey

Standard Member
Reaction score
Previously been using the 'Samsung BD-F6500 Blu Ray Player Review' thread for all my queries and useful info but thought maybe a owners' thread would be more appropriate.
I am copying my last post on the above thread to this one to start the thread going.

'I am having problems with 4oD and want to confirm if anyone else has any issues esp. since updating to latest firmware version 1014.1.
Can someone please check to see if they can play todays (Wed 8 Jan 2014) or yesterdays episode of Deal or No Deal using the 4oD app. I can't (just spinning circle after adverts). Also Deal or No Deal Episode 3 (Wed 1 Jan 2014) hangs during playback after 38mins in everytime!
Thanks
P.S. My ISP is EE just incase it is relevant.'

'I emailed 4oD and received this reply "We were recently made aware of a technical issue with 4oD for users of the Samsung Smart TV. This is something our Tech Team are looking into as a matter of urgency, and hope to have the issue resolved soon".'

Received my Samsung blu ray player today and had a play.
The damn thing doesn't support HD audio codecs from any source other than a Blu-ray Disc!!
I tried to play some mkv and Mts files from an external USB HDD that play fine on my Popcorn hour and discovered the Samsung can only play the core DTS element of DTS Master and doesn't even recognise Dolby True HD!
I bought this player with the intention of streaming my movies from a NAS (not yet purchased) but having called Samsung, they advised the player doesn't support HD codecs from external sources and suspect this would apply to streaming too.
Has anyone managed to stream files with HD audio codecs to the Samsung?

Cheers
Steve

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Received my Samsung blu ray player today and had a play.
The damn thing doesn't support HD audio codecs from any source other than a Blu-ray Disc!!
I tried to play some mkv and Mts files from an external USB HDD that play fine on my Popcorn hour and discovered the Samsung can only play the core DTS element of DTS Master and doesn't even recognise Dolby True HD!
I bought this player with the intention of streaming my movies from a NAS (not yet purchased) but having called Samsung, they advised the player doesn't support HD codecs from external sources and suspect this would apply to streaming too.
Has anyone managed to stream files with HD audio codecs to the Samsung?

Cheers
Steve

there is a app available called "Plex" - i would try that on your pc and see of the file you want to use plays fine , if it does it will also stream fine to the samsung blu ray too .

using this app it hasn't missed a beat and streams everything i throw at it .

its available in the "Samsung apps" section of apps on the bluray player .

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
there is a app available called "Plex" - i would try that on your pc and see of the file you want to use plays fine , if it does it will also stream fine to the samsung blu ray too .

using this app it hasn't missed a beat and streams everything i throw at it .

its available in the "Samsung apps" section of apps on the bluray player .

Yep, I've seen and indeed downloaded the Plex app on the blu ray player.
However, I haven't bothered with it as Samsung told me the issue would be with the bluray player in this scenario as it doesn't support HD audio codecs from an external source, only from a Blu-ray Disc.

Have you tried running plex through this model of Samsung player and if so, can you please confirm if it does support playback of HD audio codecs?

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
as stated i have played Hd content through the app and it worked perfectly . i would suggest posting on the plex website (forums) as there are lots of people using plex and this player and it works just fine. all the processing is done via plex before it even gets to the player so i dont see the issue.
is there a free file you could link me to and i will download and try it for you using my player and plex

as stated i have played Hd content through the app and it worked perfectly . i would suggest posting on the plex website (forums) as there are lots of people using plex and this player and it works just fine. all the processing is done via plex before it even gets to the player so i dont see the issue.
is there a free file you could link me to and i will download and try it for you using my player and plex
I'll have to have a read up on the Plex forum. Although I don't have a NAS yet, I guess I could trial it with my laptop to see if it works.
All my files are either MKV (all DVDs and BDs with Dolby True HD) or m2ts (BDs with a DTS HD Master).
When you refer to HD above, you are talking audio codecs right. Does Plex offer the option to feed bitstream and/or convert to PCM without loss? I assume the Samsung can accept a PCM from an external source so that could work.
The audio is as important if not more so than video quality to me and is an absolute deal breaker.
Cheers
Steve

Samsung blu-ray capable of bitstreaming hd audio from Plex? - Samsung Smart Hub - Plex Forums
Just had a quick look at the Plex forums and the above link fuels my suspicion that streamed HD audio, bitstreamed at least, is an issue with the Samsung BD player even via Plex.
I'd appreciate any confirmation to prove otherwise or that HD audio can be converted to 5.1 LPCM in Plex to retain a lossless audio feed.
I know it will work with my Popcorn Hr, so I might just ditch the Samsung BD if it's not possible.
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
yes good idea , i would post over there exactlly what you need it to do and see what the experts say .
good luck with it all .

dan

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom