Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Samsung BD-E8300, BD-E8500, BD-E8900 Master Thread

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by sts1976, Mar 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. sts1976

sts1976
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm on the lookout for a new PVR to replace my ill-fated Philips HDT8520. Love the picture quality of the Philips but it's flawed in so many ways :(

Anyway I recently spotted this preview of the new Samsung BD-E8500 PVR on the trusted reviews website… http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-bd-e8500_TV-recorder---set-top-box_review

This may be the all-in-one PVR player I'm looking for…. What do you guys think?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. Sam654

Sam654
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, well I've not had a pvr before and am looking across the field at what is out there. I was originally looking for blu-ray player that could play a range or formats from attached hdds, which looks like the Cambridge audio azur 751bd is pretty good although very expensive, but then the panasonic dmr-pwt500 caught my eye with all the features I thought I wanted from a blu ray player and with the added pvr features. Reading through several reviews lead me to this samsung Bd e8500, it's referenced as being better in a few areas.

The samsung seems to do the job, but also seems very new so not many reviews out there for it. Trusted reviews seem good, but would have liked to have found a review on reghardware or cnet or something. So think I'm in the same boat as you... Will start looking at prices though...

Am interested to learn more.

3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,678
    FWIW, Samsung PVR's and DVDR's have a poor user reputation here with a great deal of discontent amongst purchasers.

4. Sam654

Sam654
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. HummerUK

HummerUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    Indeed the Samsung Freesat box and their first Freeview box were very buggy.

I would wait a while to see more reviews.

HummerUK

6. Geoffj7

Geoffj7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Samsung TV so when I wanted to get a PVR it seemed logical to look at the Samsung range first.
    I looked at the 7800 but found that this was panned by the community. I also spoke to the sales people in John Lewis and they agreed that this was not the best device they sold (however, they thought that their TVs were top class).
    On further investigation I saw the review on the BD-E8500 from trusted reviews where it got 9/10 (but they also gave the 7800 9/10 so a bit dubious there). However, when I came to try to find a supplier in the UK, I could not find anywhere that sold the BD-E8500. Indeed I can't even find the model on the Samsung website (UK version I guess).
    Does anyone out there have any idea who sells this model?
    Alternatively can anyone suggest an alternative with similar features (don't particularly need the blueray player) that has good reviews by people who actually know about these things from personal experience.
    Thanks

7. petrev

petrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    Pre-release hype

!!!!!!

8. iaint

iaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi.
    Until a positive thread turns up, positively addressing the shortcomings of the predecessor, the E8500 will remain difficult to recommend.
    More generally, until these multifunction PVRs can cope with multitasking properly (the LG ones aren't great either), it's a really good case for separates.
    --
    Regards, Iain.

9. Geoffj7

Geoffj7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I contacted Trusted Reviews about this and they came back to me with this response:

"Hi Geoff,

Thanks for reading and for your mail.
    We received a very early sample of that model to play with, and it's not available at retail yet. Our "Price as Reviewed" is based on the MSRP.
    This should change within the next few weeks, though I can't provide an exact UK date.

Kind regards,"

If anyone hears anything about this or have any suggestions for an alternative then I would be interested to hear from you.
    Thanks
    Geoff

10. sts1976

sts1976
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Edinshef

Edinshef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    After all the waiting I picked up one of these today from Richer Sounds and can confirm that record 2 and watch a 3rd works fine. I've only had one freeze up so far when trying to nevigate the browser which very annoyingly comes up with a text screen that obscures the page I'm trying to input via a connected mouse and keyboard.
    My first thoughts are it's a major improvement on the 2011 models in terms of a pvr but a step back for all the rest. For some reason Smart hub only has a very limited selection of apps compared to last years and I was unable to find iplayer or lovefilm. I'm hoping that it's because of compatibility issues with the new firmware and that we'll get everything eventually rather than a decision to scale back Smart Hub.
    The feature I was most looking forward to was dual view on my galaxy tab but has turned out to be a major disappointment. the E8500 finds my tab no problem but playback only lasts for about 20 seconds before it starts pausing a restarting and worst of all the audio turns to gruesome ear-piercing white noise. It's probably the android app at fault here though but again I'm hoping that it's just because this is new and will be addressed in some not so far away firmware update.
    It's definitely an improvement on the piece of junk 7800 pvr I bought last year and had to return but doesn't seem as slick as the bd d6900 I replaced it with as far as all the smart hub connected features go but...ever the optimist I hope Samsung get this one right sooner rather than later. I think this one will be a keeper.

12. cbkeef

cbkeef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been waiting for this to come out, and am quite impressed with the price. Great to hear the PVR issues seem to be gone. Would love to hear more from any one who gets one. Can you also please update us with how yours is going Edinshef? Thanks.

13. Edinshef

Edinshef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi - a correction to my original post is that while record 2 watch a 3rd channel is possible it has to be on the same mux as either of the 2 being recorded. I think this is fairly standard though as it would take 3 tuners to be able to play any channel while recording 2.
    I've noticed another feature missing and that's the thumbnails generated by recordings (on 2011 models) where you could press arrow down to quickly access any point in a recording.
    As with 2011 models trying to delete something is a long convoluted affair involving about 7 or 8 buttons presses - I was stumped last night as I couldn't work out how to delete a recording at all but that's because I was recording something else at the same time and delete isn't possible during recording.
    As I said earlier the browser is still a waste of time - far too slow to load and respond to commands.
    The dual view app for Android has had an update but no improvements there - picture still stop-starting despite being connected directly to the 8500 through the new Soft Access Point function. Audio on the app never lasts longer that a few seconds before it turns to horrible white noise. Not had any more freeze ups.
    If anyone's thinking of getting one to use with the plex media client - it's not compatible yet but the developer has said that samsung plan to put plex in the official app store in about a month and it should be compatible with E series machines.
    That's all I can think of at the moment but if anyone has any specific questions I'll answer here as soon as I get a chance.

14. crockett

crockett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    I just read a very positive review of this box in HCC magazine. They were very positive about it. The biggest fault they found was that you could not access the EPG whilst 2 recordings were being made... Looks like it will give the Panasonic DMR-PWT500 some serious competition.

15. hotjamesall

hotjamesall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Edinshef,

Did you manage to find the iplayer app yet? You mentioned in your post on the 29th that you hadn't found it.

thanks

16. Edinshef

Edinshef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    New firmware today 1005 but still hasn't added all the missing apps to the smart hub including iplayer.
    Also noticed that there's no mention of iplayer on the box it came in either so don't know if it will ever get all the apps available on 2011 models. I don't see why there should be such a big differrence in the smart hub between different models?

17. hotjamesall

hotjamesall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting. I think I'll hold off for a bit longer then. Both RicherSounds and Currys both state iPlayer support but I won't take these sources as fact. I guess it indicates the apps may be coming.

18. sts1976

sts1976
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally got a samsung bd-e8500 today from Richer Sounds. Paired it up with my Samsung 46D7000 and first impressions are good. Picture out of the box looks equal to my old philips HDT-8520 which is promising.

There is no iPlayer app which is worrying but i expect that to by sent via update soon. As a side note the bbc iPlayer icon is displayed on the retail box.

Ill update soon once i get to grips with the device... :cool:

19. sextant

sextant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  20. Edinshef

Edinshef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Another owner at last - weird that your box mentions iplayer and mine doesn't. Maybe some boxes were made for the generic european market and don't specify apps for any particular country. If you're planning to use the dual-view app for android let me know how it's working for you - as I said in my first post it's a big disappointment here as it was a deal clincher to forking out for this player and so far it's not working very well despite 2 updates in the google play store since I bought it.

21. robjw68

robjw68
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought one of these boxes earlier this week. Overall it is pretty good but I have come across a couple of problems:

1. BBC i-Player is now available (I have asked Samsung but have not had a sensible reply yet).
    2. Since I upgraded to the latest firmware and retuned for the April 4th London freeview changes, I cannot record anything via the schedule. It gives a message saying that the scheduled time differs from the broadcast time and fails to record. Anyone else seen this? Again, I have asked Samsung but no response yet.

22. sts1976

sts1976
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rob,

I have yet to receive the iPlayer update. Just checked software upgrade and it says I'm upto date. What software version are you on I'm on 001004.

Also I'm getting the message saying scheduled time differs from the broadcast time it still records (i think) but the message is annoying when you watching something else as it needs actioning.

23. Edinshef

Edinshef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    1005.1 is available from the samsung support website for usb upgrade but not online yet. Rob did your post mean to say iplayer is NOT available yet instead of NOW available? It makes more sense with what you say after about contacting Samsung.

24. robjw68

robjw68
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, yes - I meant NOT available. I have received this info from Samsung:

The BBC are currently working on an iPlayer app for this TV and should
    release it within the coming months as they have not finished developing
    past beta stage for our 2012 products. We appreciate your patience on
    this matter.

I am on version 1005.1 and Samsung suggested doing a system reset (hold down the STOP button on the system itself whilst on the 'Home' screen) to try and fix my 'scheduled time differs from broadcast time' issue. This didn't help and I have asked Samsung to investigate further.

25. fatbutcher

fatbutcher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Let us know how you get on with Samsung, I've just got a BD-E8500 myself and have the same messages coming up. Only just plugged it in, so will see if it actually records.

I also tried the firmware upgrade from the samsung site, but it does not seem to recognise anything on the usb drive. I did upgrade online to 1005, but not sure if that is 1005.1 and therefor doesn't see an upgrade on the stick.

26. fatbutcher

fatbutcher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Quite disapointed so far, I was hoping this unit would be good enough to replace my Windows Media Centre, but so far it falls quite short.

I spent most of last night trying to get scheduled recordings working, and had no success whatsoever. I've called Samsung this morning, they talked me through the same reset procedure (while on the home screen, hold down the stop button on the front of the unit for 10s plus), but this failed to resolve the error. I've called them back to let them know it didn't fix it and I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

The specific issue I have is as follows:-

• Setup scheduled recording on any channel.
    • About 5 mins before the recording is due to start, I get a popup saying "Scheduled Recorder Reminder" " Change to scheduled channel to check if scheduled time has changed?" options are Yes, No and Cancel Schedule. Doesn't matter what I select, recording fails to start.
    • 5 mins after the recording should have started, I get a message "Unable to record because the scheduled time and programme time do not match".

I'd be curious to know if anyone else is getting the same, or if anyone else is successfully getting scheduled recording, particularly on UK EPG.

27. jonathan doe

jonathan doe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Slightly off topic after reading recent threads but I'm researching a replacement for a Sony HDD/DVD recorder that looks like it may need a new HDD. I live outside of the Uk and due to poor internet speeds here rely on dubbed DVDs as Iplayer is not workable. The reviews for this model mention the possibility of export of files to an external HDD for playing through a WD media player which would be much better

1. Is it possible or just Samsung hype?
    2. if yes above has anyone tried it?
    3. if yes above what is the file format?

Any assistance would be great

28. robjw68

robjw68
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi fatbutcher, I have exactly the same problem. Please let me know of any progress.

29. fatbutcher

fatbutcher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I called Samsung back again (after they failed to get back to me following a second call. After explaining that I've already been through the reset process and confirming that my unit was on 1005.1 (via the support menu, contact Samsung) they wanted to call me back again after consulting another dept. I opted to stay on the line.

They advised that I should send the unit back in for repair! As I only purchased the unit the previous day, I explained this was unacceptable and I've since returned the unit for a refund.

Although disappointing and frustrating, it turned out a useful experience for me as I was looking to replace my Windows Media Centre with this unit. The fact is, that after playing with it, they are still fairly clunky and clumbsy compared to WMC7, which in my opinion offer far superior features and experience. The level of control over scheduled recordings (if it were to work) is so basic compared to what WMC7 has to offer.

30. robjw68

robjw68
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Samsung have also advised me to return the unit. This is unbelievable - is that really the best they can come up with?