Samsung BD-DT7800 PVR - Signal/Bit Error Level Issues

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by jamesss, Jan 16, 2013.

1. jamesss

jamesss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I have a Samsung BD-DT7800 PVR and seem to be having issues with what I believe is the bit error level causing the picture/sound to break up on some channels, eventually leading to a 'Weak/No Signal' message being displayed. This does not happen on all channels though. It only seems to happen mainly on the HD channels, channel 303 and The Space (all under frequency 738000KHz and the same multiplex). When looking at the 'Signal Information' pop-up, the signal strength is always 100; however, the bit error level fluctuates between around 1000 and 2000 (maximum) - it seems that when the bit error level stays at 2000 for more than a few seconds, the signal cuts out. The other thing to note would be this isn't always a problem. Sometimes the bit error level can hover around 1000 for a few hours and show no visible interference; yet other times I can barely watch anything on those channels.

I've read through a lot of posts on various forums and blogs and have tried removing items that could be causing interference, relocating the TV, using the PVR on a different TV, using a different coax cable, not crossing over the coax cable with the HDMI cable, re-tuning (both manual and auto) and factory restoring the PVR but have had no joy whatsoever. I live in apartments so haven't been able to investigate anything to do with the ariel at present. I've also checked the Freeview websites and I should have perfectly fine coverage for the area I live in.

Does anybody have any ideas what else I can do?

Thank you!

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,001
    Welcome to the forum.

You could try a variable attenuator which can be had for a few pounds.

The symptoms are typical of overloading - which given your signal strength is always 100%, seems likely.

Strength of 70 to 80 % would be more ideal.

3. jamesss

jamesss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I shall pick one of these up tomorrow and give it a go. After a quick search as to what these are, it makes sense.

Thanks for the welcome/advice! I'll let you know how it goes.

4. jamesss

jamesss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No joy unfortunately. I picked one up today and lowered the signal strength to around 75% and the bit error level still fluctuated between 1000 and 2000, causing interference and the picture to cut out. Again, only on the channels mentioned above. I really am clueless as to what else this could be?

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,001
    Pity.

The next issue to look at is HDMI interference.

I don't know this PVR unit in any detail, but I presume it has an option to connect via scart.

HDMI interference is caused by radiation from the HDMI lead being picked up by the UHF leads and depending on its severity can cause interference with certain muxes, and in worst cases can completely knock out single multiplexes or even all reception.
    The interference is dependent on what content and what resolution is going across the HDMI interface.

The way to prove whether this is the cause of the problem or not is to completely disconnect the HDMI lead and connect temporarily by scart only.

If reception is normal under such conditions, you have determined the cause.

The usual remedy is a replacement HDMI cable. (The cheapest you can find)... Sometimes in bad cases in it necessary to beef up the UHF cables so the better screening is more resistant to interference.
    Generally - Keep HDMI and UHF leads as far apart as is possible.

6. jamesss

jamesss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've removed all HDMI cables from around the area of the TV/PVR so there is literally now just the TV, PVR and coax but again the issue still persists. Could this be a fault with the PVR? I may take it to a friend's house in a different city and see if the same issues arise there.

7. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,001
    That is a good idea.

If you have problems elsewhere too, then the unit is probably faulty.

Otherwise it would appear you have some local form of interference and they can be the devil to determine.

Do you have any other possible forms of interference nearby. Dect phones... Wireless hub ? etc

8. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +909
    So with the PVR connected - no hdmi leads at all in TV or PVR - you can view the HD mux (in SD) and still have the issue?

What sort of fly-leads are in use between wall plate and PVR and then between PVR and TV? If the thin while moulded variety change both for double screened ones - ideally hand made from satellite grade cable. {At the minimum check any hand-made types for correct assembly. Swap out leads with others if you have them - even the moulded types}.

What attenuator did you try? Appartment blocks' distribution systems can push out extremely high level signal levels so maybe you needed even more? (Although unlikely if you added 20dB of attenuation).

Where are you approx (so we can work out which transmitter).

9. jamesss

jamesss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try using the PVR elsewhere tomorrow and see what happens. As for other forms of interference, there is usually a phone, sound bar/sub-woofer and router - all of which I've removed to another room whilst trying to sort this out.

Yes, this is correct.

I'm unsure as to the technical terms, but I've tried two different leads that I had already. One looks very similar to this (http://www.cable-trader.co.uk/images/items/CX-SB_Aerial_fly_lead.JPG) and the other looks very similar to this (http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/images/coaxial_cable_join.jpg). The second isn't wired like that - just the closest picture I could find. It had to be cut manually.

I purchased this attenuator which apparently goes up to 20dB - Variable Aerial Attenuator : Aerial Connectors : Maplin Electronics

I'm in Liverpool - post code of place nearby is L3 9BD.

Thanks again for the help so far.

10. Infineon

Infineon
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All, I have read many un happy reports about the Samsung BD-DT7800 on here and like many of you I have had over 12 months of grief with it.. apologies if this post has already been made but, My main issue is when we have recorded something in HD, we get intermittent loss of picture and or Audio on playback, this does not appear to be happening when playing a recording back in normal recording, I reported this to Samsung back in 2012 and they got it sent away to a repair under warranty to be told nothing wrong with it, my TV then also a Samsung developed a fault, still not happy with what the repairer said I took TV and recorder to a repairer so he could see my issues to be told the HD board on my tv had gone and would cost a fortune to replace, yet still nothing wrong with the recorder. I now have a Samsung LED smart Tv for compatability and yet the recorder with nothing wrong, now out of warranty STILL will not play back in HD properly, any ideas, current firmware is 001012

11. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,001
    Welcome to the forum.

Have a look at Post number 194 in this thread.
    That is a different machine , but the (likely) cause of this problem applies to all machines.