• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung BD-D8500 - how many tuners?

NineToTheSky

Standard Member
I thought this would be easy to find out - but it doesn't seem to be. How many tuners does the BD-D8500 have, and if it is two, does this mean that I can record two channels and watch live TV at the same time?

Last edited:

justpassin

Standard Member
I've just bought one of these. The BD-D8500 has two tuners but you can only record from one channel at a time. An "interesting concept" from Samsung. :confused:

The only use I can think of for the second tuner is for timeshift viewing one channel while recording another, but I'm not yet sure whether even that is possible as I've seen one reviewer state that "only one tuner is attached to the hard drive".

I knew about this rather bizarre limitation before buying, and everybody else needs to know too.

There is a DigitalStream product on the market that allows you to record two channels and usually watch another, all simultaneously. I tried one of these. Functionally it was excellent, but the picture quality was not as good as the Samsung BD-D8500, and it was a bit of a pig to use. Plus, I wanted a Blu ray player all in one box, so the Samsung fitted the bill for me.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom