Samsung BD-C5900 3D Blu-ray Player Speakers

Mike Corbett

Standard Member
Since the unpredicted demise of my DLP Samsung TV (me too), I "obviuosly" went out and bought some replacements. Samsung PS51D550 51-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D Plasma TV with Freeview and HD Samsung BD-C5900 3D Blu-ray Player and would like to add on to this. Can I just buy the speakers that add on to this because I can't see how it works.

I do have a Sony analogue DAV-DZ410 Surround Sound System that doesn't have a digital interface or speaker connectors that connect to a standard audio connector so that doesn't work.

Any ideas? :facepalm:

dogfonos

I'm not quite sure what you're asking and I'm a bit confused by the wording of your question.

It seems you're unsure about setting up the audio side of the new system. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I respectfully suggest that you read up on the subject (and on the equipment you've got) before you make another purchase so that you better understand where you're heading with all this - otherwise you could be in for some expensive mistakes.

I'll try to give some sort of answer...

You probably know this anyway, but you can't connect passive (i.e. normal) speakers directly to either your TV or disc player without some form of amplification (and probably processing) in-between.

I'm not into multi-channel surround sound but I would have thought it possible to purchase a 5.1/7.1/9.1 (or whatever number we're up to these days!) audio digital-to-analogue converter to connect your TV into your Sony surround sound system (I'm guessing your TV doesn't have analogue audio outputs?). Do you have speakers with the Sony?

Maybe someone out there who knows more about this stuff can help?

Mike Corbett

Standard Member
Thanks for that and anyone else who's reading this should take dogfonos advice regarding reading up on the subject, I did try this but obviously not well enough. I'm not a complete numpty when it comes to technical matters but you do tend to lose track of the basics, especially if you don't look properly. I think what I should have done is to buy a 3D surround sound system instead of buying a 3D player and then trying to connect to an analogue surround sound system or some other audio system.

I'm used to all this stuff with backwards/forwards/compatibility issues from my time "playing" with building PC's over the years, sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and replace the lot.

dogfonos

I'm not familiar with surround sound systems, such as your Sony, so I had a look at the Sony website to get a bit more info and found this:
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hcs-surround-kit---dvd-player/dav-dz410#pageType=TechnicalSpecs

Appears that the Sony only has a two channel (stereo) analogue input so my suggestion of getting a 5.1/7.1/9.1 etc DAC is wide of the mark - it won't work with the Sony. Strange to design a 5.1 audio "all-in-one-theatre system" yet have no digital audio inputs or analogue 5.1 inputs - just a two channel analogue input?!? It's not that old either.

Mike Corbett

Standard Member
I'm going to move the Sony system into another room or do something else with it. Thanks for your help and support on this. Thanks friend!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom