Samsung, BBC Freeview - Unreliable Recording missing end of programs

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by adspence, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. adspence

adspence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    We have a Samsung BD-H8500 and it continually manages to miss the last minute of recordings on Freeview when selecting scheduled recordings from the EPG. While padding manually is an option it means series links don't work and have to be individually programmed (and if programmes move a long way then they are missed entirely). I have seen other posts about problems with Five but that BBC is normally fine with sending "Accurate Recording" signals...but that has not been my experience over Xmas. We have just had the last 1 minute of When We Sang on BBC2HD truncated. It should have run from 2100-22 stopped at 2229. Nothing else was set to record, so no clashes.

This is the third programming in 3 days to screw up. I would have thought that if this was a general problem with Samsung recorders or BBC then the clamour on the interweb would have been vociferous, but it doesn't seem to be a problem anyone is commenting on.

Are we doing something wrong? Does everyone simply pad manually as it is common knowledge that Accurate Recording start/stop signals are useless and unreliable?

At the moment it isn't worth recording anything on BBC as it is a lottery whether we'll get it all. May as we'll wait and pick up the programme on iPlayer.

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,108
    This is commonly caused by auto tuning selecting channels from different transmitters. If you have channels over 800 on a auto tune you have the issue. You can't just delete the channel numbers over 800 because you may still leave channels lower down from different transmitters.

I don't have a Samsung so can only give generic instructions.

Firstly identify which is your best transmitter - Use the DTG reception predictor detailed info option for your postcode. Make a note of the channel numbers which are used by your transmitter. separately list the HD mux.

Now find out how to delete all your existing channels (Radio and TV). Select manual tune and enter each mux channel in turn scan and save - If you have an option choose DVB-T for SD and DVB-T2 for HD Mux.

The BBc is very reliable on both Freesat and Freeview at getting the timing correct.

3. adspence

adspence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the suggestion. However, the channels do not seem to be from >800, if I am reading the Samsung correctly. BBC1HD and 2HD are both from 564000, Multiplex TSID 4084, ONID 233a, Network London ID 3033, Service ID 4440. While I don't understand all those numbers I believe the signal is coming from Crystal Palace, as it should for us in Greenwich. The other main channels are on the following muxes

ITV1HD, C4HD, BBC3HD are on same MUX as above
    BBC4HD, BBC News HD are on 570000
    ITV2, C5, E4 are on 514000
    ITV3, More4, Film4 are on 506000
    ITV4 is on 530000
    Sky News on 482000

All on the same 3033 London network. It seems none of them are coming from somewhere else.

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,108
    The over 800 refers to the logical channel numbers (lcn's) you have in the epg. If an autotune doesn't produce channels at 800 and over there isn't an issue.

The UHF channels used by Crystal Palace and the frequencies (some are offset indicated by - or + after the channel number) are here.

Crystal Palace (Greater London, England) Full Freeview transmitter

Most kit will indicate the UHF channel being used.

None of the programmes I have recorded over Christmas mostly from BBC1 HD, BBC2 HD ITV HD and CH4 HD have timing issues.

5. adspence

adspence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ah, okay. there are no channels over 800 in the EPG.

6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,108
    Youview boxes have no way of adjusting timings set from the epg. So are forced to follow AR on channels with it and follow the scheduled times where AR isn't implemented. Pretty sure the Youview threads on here would be full of complaints if the main channels were not up to scratch.

7. adspence

adspence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That's exactly what I thought too. But the recordings are definitely not working properly, and I can't see why the Samsung would stop early unless the box itself is faulty of course...

8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,108
    Could be a firmware issue. Really need to find a programme with an issue and get it recorded on multiple sources and kit. If it helps I can test using Freeview+ (Lark Stoke) and Freesat+. Need other volunteers. :)

9. Futaura

Futaura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Another way to troubleshoot this is to watch a recording programme live and monitor the now/next programme information on screen. The now/next information is the accurate recording signal. So, assuming the Samsung updates thus live on screen and you can leave the banner open, you can visually seen when the start/end signal comes. If it stops recording before the next programme becomes the "now" programme, then it is clearly a software bug. Likewise, if the now/next information on the Samsung is not exactly matching that if another device, like your TV, then that is also a bug.

On the programmes with the ending missing, do they start recording early? For example, the end of the previous recording is at the start if the recording before the actual recorded programme starts. It may be that it fails to see the start signal and uses a fallback mode, but there are many things that could go wrong due to a software bug.

If the now/next information is changing early on all devices, causing recording to stop early, it could be a local transmitter issue.

10. adspence

adspence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'm not able to test these at the moment, but will have a go.

11. theonlyfoz

theonlyfoz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FYI I have a new SAMSUNG BD-H8900 which also messed up a few recordings. The recordings started early and ended early. Or rather I think the program started late and ended late. In the case of the first broadcast of The Wrong Mans - Episode 1 it was a good few minutes and we had to go to iPlayer and watch the ending there. I read around a fair bit and opinions varied but generally agreed the Beeb was one of the better ones for AR markers. After the The Wrong Mans incident I followed a suggestion in a forum and retuned to resynch the clock, which seemed to improve things if not fixing entirely. What I don't get (well among many things) is the box that pops up when we're watching another program asking if we want to switch to the channel we are scheduled to record to see if the timings have changed, which implies it's looking for AR markers. What happens for unattended recordings, does it tune and check automatically if it has one of the tuners available ? If the Beeb sends out AR markers for say BBC 1, are those only readable from BBC 1 or from all channels in the MUX containing BBC 1 ? Again if we're watching something else and it has a tuner free why doesn't it just check on the other tuner. I came from an old Humax PVR-9200T which was getting erratic if not to say eccentric, but one thing I was looking forward to was accurate recording.

12. js66

js66
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got a Samsung BD-H8500, which I've noticed has the same problem with the pop-up to switch channel when a recording is due. I've never seen this on previous PVRs I've had (a Humax/Youview, which just died completely on me, and a Topfield)! Did you work out what happens on unattended recordings, or if you ignore the pop-up?

13. js66

js66
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting used to ignoring or pressing return on the schedule reminder now - the start and end of programmes was terrible on recordings , but I get a signal from two transmitters, and although I had deleted all the channels above 800, was still having problems with recordings cutting off before then end of a programme. I read above that this could be fixed by deleting all the stored channels (I did a rescan with the aerial cable unplugged!) and then just manually adding just the individual mux channels for the one transmitter, which seems to have solved the problem too - recordings are starting and ending exactly on time now

14. lostboy22

lostboy22
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dummys solution ,
    Go to internal tv clock in settings set it from auto time to manual and set Clock to 1 to 2min SLOW
    try this it works for me just keep an eye on the tv clock time by pressing "info " button from time to time when news is on with their clock on screen should see your set time slow in comparrison.
    don't forget to change time when British summer time starts/ends otherwise you'll be an hour and a bit out !