Samsung B650 Input Lag - Games Unplayable

PuzZah

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've just purchased a Samsung LE40B650 and was very happy with it but now, not so much. The TV looks absolutely fantastic on SD, DVD, Blu Ray, and even my PC but gaming is impossible on it. I'd read loads of threads on here and reviews all over the internet about gaming on the B650 and the only game I expected to not really be able to play was Guitar Hero/Rock Band.

I've since tried both my Wii (Component and Composite) and my Xbox 360 but both have terrible input lag on almost every game I play. I've read many posts on here that say "You won't notice the input lag/the input lag won't bother you unless you're a complete videophile" - but I'm not and it's unplayable. My girlfriend tried to play Mariokart and gave up saying that it wasn't turning properly and not responding to wiimote shakes/gestures. (While writing this she's also tried Mario and Sonic at the olympic games which you can't play because you can't get off the start line properly, jump at the right time or release in time on throwing games). Fifa is also severely delayed on the 360 to the point where if you press to kick the ball it does it too late to make the pass/shot worthwhile. Guitar hero (as expected) is completely unplayable. Even with the in-game input lag compensation it seems to vary as to whether or not a note can be hit.

With game mode enabled it's slightly better but still realistically unplayable. It's just too slow.

I still have about 15 days to return the TV and I'm in two minds about doing so. I've been looking around the internet for TVs in my price range (approx £700-750) but all of the TVs I've found seem to have lots of input lag and the same sort of problems. HDTV test's website has a HDTV selector which suggests the KDL40W4500 or the KDL40W5500. The site also suggests that the 5500 and the B650 have basically the same input lag so it's a bit pointless swapping for that. The 4500 looks good but it's an older TV.

I'm not really sure where I stand at the moment with it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Ben

Last edited:
LGs tend to have less input lag but handle other material less well than the 650 or W5500. You could look at a full HD plasma like the Panasonic G10, little or no lag

Toshiba models have low input lag have a look at the Toshiba 42XV635DB.

Hi vickster,

Thanks for your reply. I'd looked at Plasmas but as it'll be used as a PC monitor for general use, movies and gaming as well as all of the other TV functions I'd swayed more towards LCD to try to prevent image burn. I know it's not too much of a problem with newer plasmas but it'd still worried me a little. You're one of many I've noticed mention/recommend the G10 though so I might have a look into it.

Thanks

Ben

I'd also look at the Toshiba particularly with the £100 cashback offer from places like Amazon

make sure 100hz + is not on when playing games.
im sure games like guitar hero and rock band can be calabrated with your set.

if games lag with game mode on then get a different set.
Panasonic G10 is a good set for games, my pc runs so smooth on the G10

Last edited:
make sure 100hz + is not on when playing games.
im sure games like guitar hero and rock band can be celebrated with your set.

if games lag with game mode on then get a different set.
Panasonic G10 is a good set for games, my pc runs so smooth on the G10
:confused:How do you know - is there any way to tell i.e. on cod mw2 for instance...does it show up the same as internet connection lag?

internet lag is when you or the players around you freeze, jump around etc.

lag from the set would be when you move the camera around the picture lags or gets visible refresh lines.

Last edited:
The input lag that I see is that when something appears on the set which needs an instant response from a remote (beit Wii or Xbox for example), the response is given, but the game has already moved on from that point and the move isn't registered. No visible refresh lines or anything.

Also, I've tried calibrating both the game and the set. Neither of which helps. I've tried 100hz off and game mode and the problem described above still occurs. Calibrating for input lag on guitar hero works (to a degree) for the guitar, but the drums still don't work sadly.

I am now looking at the G10, but having read a few reviews and comments I've come across people suggesting that the V10 is worth the extra £200 for the additional features.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p42v10-tx-p50v10-20090602153.htm said:
Is the Panasonic TX-P42V10 worth paying £300 [Now £200] extra over the G10? When you take into account the [THX] mode's accurate primary colours and 2.2 gamma out of the box, not to mention other perks like [Viera Cast], DLNA compatibility, additional HDMI port and PiP/PaP functionalities, for us the answer is a resounding yes.

Functions in bold don't really affect/bother me too much.

I quite like the Toshiba but I've heard so much praise about the Panasonic plasmas. I'm really not sure which I'd buy, however I'm almost certainly going to be returning the Samsung tomorrow.

@duncfunk, where've you found this £100 cashback offer from Amazon?

Thanks for your help

Ben

get the G10

thx mode is slightly different colour its not wow it looks great!

viera cast (internet) is a gimmick, I swear you wont use it if you have pc.

get the G10 plasma the V10 is not worth it.

G10 is great for games end of!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom