SAMSUNG B550 - Enabling MKV & DIVX/XVID playback - part 1

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by marvmikey, Apr 23, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hamed22

hamed22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can?

2. pixel8

pixel8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamed22 View Post
    in b570 can enable divx mkv/how?tanks
    :confused:Are you asking how to enable movies in B570? You need to read some of this thread...its all about the firmware type and most of the thread relates to B550's anyway...
    Do a search for your tv in the thread and see what you come up with...Hope that helps.;)

Edit: I had a quick look in this thread and found little of value, however, there was at least one member who had his b550 set to b570 and it still played movies so it may just depend on your firmware type. Have a read of my post here http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...550-how-enable-mkv-divx-xvid-playback-27.html

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  3. angrybird

angrybird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    sorry if this sounds stupid. I just bought B530

is there any point to install newer firmware, will it improve pictures quality or add options to the menu?

or is it just for DNIE, and usb media player stuff?

regards

4. arcok6

arcok6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just brought a brand new LE 40 B554 TV set.
    The tips for activate the divX & mkv support work seamless from the service menu – sub option submenu.
    When I was doing the “changes” I discovered 2 new option:
    First DLNA Support : options -> ON and OFF
    Second Network Support: option -> “without support”, “Cable network” and “Wireless network”.
    Is it possible for my TV to unofficially support the Wireless Network Adapter (dongle) from Samsung to connect to my wireless router for intranet/internet support?
    Thank you

5. pixel8

pixel8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I actually tried that with my previous model 40B550 and nothing happened....

6. adedawson

adedawson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well Thought I'd report back let everyone know how the screen was getting on.

Well I got the Samsung B550 9 months or so ago now and have had all but one problem with it. 1 tiny stuck pixel, which is now running fine. A common problem which can potentially happen with LCD's.

Apparently I may even get a dead pixel in the future. Which means one pixel may not longer work. My stuck one was green. After a little reading around I found if I got a pen then covered it with a cloth or some protective material then applied some pressure to the dead pixel directly (massaged it) the pixel started working again.

I play xbox, playstation 3 and Wii on this screen. I've had no problems with the 50hz that I wasted so much time and research on. What a load of rubbish that was. No problems at all.

Games run real smooth no trails or related problems. In fact I have a high performance screen for my PC due to the nature of my work its important. No £'s skimped there. My point? I play a lot of games on my PC too, some of which I have on the Console. You would think I'd notice something different fps and Hz wise but no. I can only conclude Samsung makes up for it with some clever software or it was some nerd rage going around at the time, stating that bigger number must make it 10 times better. :rolleyes:

I've continued to use the Unlocked USB feature with no problems at all there. Big HD collection now. I also watch a lot of HD TV especially the football. Champions league on Wednesday is always in HD and boy can you tell the difference from SD. So much clearer. Again no problem with motion or anything.

Still watching some content in SD, which is more then fine. Will never be HD, but it renders it quite well. My mother has a Samsung plasma 720p. Watching SD content I can see no difference really. And that's on a screen that should have better FPS for sports etc and a better SD picture. As for the difference of 1080p over 720. You can see a noticeable difference if your looking out for it.

I have friends over quite a bit and some of the films I acquire are 720 and others 1080. I've never had anyone comment on a difference of quality. I even did a test a few times. In almost all cases they have selected the correct one, but I had one mate who though the 720 was the higher quality film. Not sure what to make of that. 1080 is becoming the standard anyway, but if you find a bargain 720 I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up.

The number one thing, 9 or so months on I have had no repercussion of using the unlocked features. Screen running fine. I watch a lot of divx and x264/HD content.

7. red0151

red0151
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Samsung LE37B554 yesterday and installed the new firmware from the website: Firmware 2010/01/26_002009

I thought the new firmware would give me divx/mkv support automatically , but after reading this long thread for the majority of the day, i think i probably made a mistake, doh!.:facepalm:

• I have tried installing an old firmare: SAMB5502003v2 but this was not detected.

• I then tried changing the model code to 570 from the service options, this also did not work.

• There also does not seem to be no option to revert back to the old firmware too.

The Movie option is greyed out in the service menu, any suggestions that are relatively safe to try to get divx/mkv?

8. Julie

Julie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +706
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.