Samsung AVR720

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by KobeoneHD, Jan 24, 2008.

1. KobeoneHD

KobeoneHD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    hi all

just been looking at the Samsung avr720 reciever on Richer sounds website, and it seems a very good unit but after doing a bit of research i cant find much info on it. Does anybody have or know about this machine and if so do they recommend it as my wife is actually intersted in buying it for me. :clap:

I want to run my Toshiba HD EP30 and sky HD through it while connected to a Samsung LE32 R87 through HDMI.

Any info would be great

Thanks
    Rich :thumbsup:

2. sp_harris

sp_harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    The Richer sounds web page says this amp doesn't do HD Sound (http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SAMS-AVR720) If I was spending £350 on an amp I would choose the Onkyo 605 (£350 ish) or the Sony 910 (£260 ish) so that I could get HD sound from the HD DVD player and upconversion (all video inputs output via 1 HDMI cable). Perhaps you can get Richer Sounds to give you a demo so you can see which sounds better with your speakers?

3. KobeoneHD

KobeoneHD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    yeah thanks for that! Im struggling for a decision between 3 different amps, but i am slowly going towards the onkyo 605. I have been reading all the threads to do with each of the amps and they really do help!

I want HD sound on a 7.1 system so i think i will take your advice and try richer sounds for a demo.

Rich

4. NiallWaller

NiallWaller
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, i'm considering the AVR720 as well. I have a Samsung LCD so the AnyNet+ HDMI CEC interface is appealing.

Can you explain what you mean by HD sound?
    I've just compared the AVR720 page on richer sounds with the STRDG910 page and cant see it.
    http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SAMS-AVR720
    http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SONY-STRDG910-BLK

5. sp_harris

sp_harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I was refering to the new sound formats available on Blu-ray and HD-DVD's. Normal DVD's allow DTS and Dolby digital sound tracks. The HD Disks have other formats available, which are supposed to give a better sound. Quote from here:http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533629
    Dolby and DTS have both each recently announced two new HD audio formats Dolby's are Dolby Digital Plus (a lossy format) and Dolby True HD (a lossless format) DTS have released DTS HD (lossy) and DTS HD Master Audio (lossless). These formats are stored on the discs (either HD DVD or Bluray, but NOT standard DVD’s) in a compressed format. The name of the format is the compression system that is used in each case (ie, Dolby True HD uses Dolby True HD compression).

If you following the link for the Sony, the important bit of text is: '8-channel Linear PCM gives High Definition sound from Blu-ray'. This means the Sony 910 amp will take the HD sound (that has been decoded by the player e.g. PS3) over the HDMI cable as a PCM signal.​

6. !TV!

!TV!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    "If you following the link for the Sony, the important bit of text is: '8-channel Linear PCM gives High Definition sound from Blu-ray'. This means the Sony 910 amp will take the HD sound (that has been decoded by the player e.g. PS3) over the HDMI cable as a PCM signal."

You confuse me can you explain this in more detail and by high definition sound you do mean dolby True HD?And blu-ray disc have the advantage that hd sound isnt on most hd discs but it is on many blu ray discs

7. !TV!

!TV!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  8. jeffputty

jeffputty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am interested in this product. A couple of things I have noticed in response to this thread:
    - The Samsung (uk) website (poor that it is) does say that it "next gen HD sound decoder ready
    Future format Dolby Digital +, True HD, DTS- HD can be played through HDMI when BDP send uncompressed PCM signal.".
    It and a few other web sites suggest it comes with speakers and sub woofer. One of those is Pixmania where the price went down from £298 to £259 yesterday. http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/742906/art/samsung/av-r720-audio-video-ampli.html
    It is obviously new to the market but I will keep my eye on this one until there is more clarity over what you get.

9. thebeacon

thebeacon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Further information to previous posts, the avr720 is now £221 +delivery at pixmania... I bought mine from richer sounds & got them to beat that price after they checked it was all above board..!
    http://***********/29bwuj Hope this helps.

10. EVOLUTION001

EVOLUTION001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi thebeacon,

I would be interested in your opinion on how the AVR 720 performs, once you have had the chance to set it up of course.

Pricewise it makes for an interesting option to the the other sub £250 amps on the market. I've been considering the Cambridge 540R as it provides a good 2 channel experience which is useful as i tend to listen to a lot of music.

Hope you don't mind giving us a rundown on your experiences as how the amp performs with both movies and music.

Cheers.

11. Nokmondoo

Nokmondoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Can anyone tell me if this has component inputs/outputs? I can't see them anywhere? :lease:

12. thebeacon

thebeacon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    @nokmond... unfortunately you're out of luck if you want component in or out on this unit. It's good for the digital connections like hdmi & optical which was my main requirement. Try http://***********/2guclm (acrobat reader required) page 12/13 for a view of connection options.

@evolution... I'm in the middle of setting it up today with a few of my favourite films & cds. Will let you know asap!

13. KobeoneHD

KobeoneHD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    i went to Richer Sounds yesterday to enquire about a range of receivers including the 720 and the advice i was given is that it is a big box full of nothing so now have opted for a black Sony STR DG910 which they kindly tracked down for me. :thumbsup:

14. jeffputty

jeffputty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you confirm it is the amp only or does it come with the speakers and woofer as pixmania suggests?

15. thebeacon

thebeacon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just rang up pixmania to confirm about the speakers... The price is for the amp only.

16. jeffputty

jeffputty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - you got more out of them than I did, I called and they could only tell me what was on the site and to contact samsung for more info.

Interested to hear how it performs?

17. demsav

demsav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    i am also thinking of buying this from richer sounds. does it come with speakers? how much is it.. thanks

18. jeffputty

jeffputty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is the amp only. you can get them to price match pixmania who currently have it at £235.

In the US you can get the amp and speakers in a package called HT-AS720 but there is still no sign of it for european/uk release. Anybody have any info on this?

19. limpsharp

limpsharp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Guys,

Those of you that have this, after reading conflicting info in the thread and on the richer sounds website, it says it doesn't do sound over hdmi, but has hdmi 1.3. I assume thats a mistake.

In that case does it also have "Dolby Digital +, True HD, DTS- HD can be played through HDMI when BDP send uncompressed PCM signal" like the website says or not?

I assume that this means the PS3 exports sound us PCM over HDMI I should have no problem with these HD sounds?!

20. littlesky

littlesky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Samsung AVR 720 and it has recently started spontaneously reducing the volume, at times, all the way to zero. I also have a Harmony 880 remote so I am not sure if it is the remote or the receiver. Anyone have thoughts? Thanks!

21. limpsharp

limpsharp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    No, ours did this the other day. Its done it twice since we received the unit about 5 months ago.

Other than that is a great unit. Doesn't do true HD etc, but we have a PS3 which decodes and sends all the HD codecs as LPCM to the amp. Lovely.

We have a Samsung 1080p LCD and one other niggle is the anynet thing just refused to work properly at all. Not very "connected" the tv would often lose the link, the sound would come up on both etc. The easiest thing to do was mute the tv by turning sound of completely in the set up menu and just using the amp for all sound, which is fine because the PS3 and sky+ generates all of our sound anyway.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  22. joakim

joakim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one of these receivers a few days ago and its working pretty damn sweet with the blu-ray player it came along with (special offer that a store had here in holland, av-r720, bd-p1500 and a 5.1 speaker set)

I am having some problems getting my Xbox 360 to work with it though. It's connected into the DVD coaxial and I do get audio, but unfortunately no video.

I've never had a receiver before so I'm a little curious whether I've connected it wrong or if there could be a setting either on the reciever or the Xbox I need to change? Like changing the switch on the xbox cable to HDMI? I thought that it depends on which kind signal of the X360 should put out, what my receiver then does with that signal shouldn't matter to the X360, so that's why I haven't tried that.

Obviously I will connect it via HDMI later (i.e. when I've bought one of those X360 hdmi connectors), but I've seen some people here having problems with that too..

I also haven't been able to get my digital tv box to work via the video in function either. I only get audio with that device too, just like the X360. The digi-box only have Scart out so the cable has been a scart to RCA (i think its called that right? the red, white and yellow coaxial cables).

I'm having a hard time understanding why it doesn't work, seems strange to have video inputs if you cant do anything with that video!

Right now the digi-box and Xbox is connected directly to the tv and I'm having audio output from the tv into the receiver, but if someone has gotten their Xbox 360 to work with this receiver I, and what it seems like many with me, would greatly appreciate your input!

23. Basset

Basset

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    HA!

I have the same thing happening to me a few times as well. Putting the remote out of sight solves the issue, so I assume it's the remote.

I do like the unit, I just wisch they'd made it thinner, since it actually is an empty box.

The audio is on par if not better than the HK3550 and Marantz SR2400 I had before.I find the sound more detailed.

The bad thin is, I cannot get the sub working as I want to. It's either too loud or too soft. Have to spend some time with it. It must be a setting.

24. howmanygoes

howmanygoes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one of these bought it at the weekend, connected my BDP1500 via HDMi and got no sound from cd or dvd, will try blu ray tonight

If its true whats being said on here about not reciving HD sound via HDMi can i still connect via HDMi to my AVR720 and then conenct also by optical sound or will this just confuse the system.

The whole point in me getting all this kit was to eventually end up with a decent 1080p full HD set up with decent audio as well. i will be very miffed if it doesn't work

25. czechboy

czechboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For all those interested in this amp its only £149 at Richer sounds (VIP members) at the moment so a bit of a bargain IMO

Mig

26. jingle68

jingle68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would it slot right in with this set-up?

samsung le46a856 tv
    samsung bdp 2500
    sky hd
    xbox 360

looking at the user manual, all the correct connections look there, but im a novice?

27. tonygayter

tonygayter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Do you have the email or link for this? I have signed up to the VIP emails but nothing has come through yet :(

28. musicbox

musicbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just started having the a similar volume problem, except the AVR720 increases the volume on it's own. I'm curious if you ever discovered the solution to your problem. I recently got a Wii which is close the receiver, so it may be some interference. I took the batteries out of the remote controll and the volume problem still happens.

29. czechboy

czechboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Sorry only just noticed your post. Here is the ad, it should be about 2/3 way down the ad.

Mig

mailer_11Dec_flat

30. jjellinek

jjellinek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have the same amp and the same problem with the volume every now and then just randomly going all the way down to minimum or sometimes (much worse!) suddenly going all the way up to maximum. It doesn't happen often enough to be too much of a hassle. I'd assumed it was something to do with sunshine hitting the remote sensor. I don't have or use the remote control at all.

On the whole I'm happy with the amp for the price I paid. You do get audio coming through the HDMI cable, and it seems to be 7.1 surround and all lovely from my PS3. I also recently connected up my SKY HD+ box to it, and that was a little bit strange.

Basically with both Sky HD+ box and PS3 connected to HDMI1 and HDMI2 and then the HDMI output sent to the TV, I can get it to switch the video over, but I can only get the audio to come through the amp on either the PS3 OR the Sky HD+:-

In one configuration I can have the Sky HD+ picture appear and the SKY+ sound pass through the amp and be heard just on the TV itself, and at the same time switch over to PS3 and have the picture come through to the TV whilst the sound then comes through the amp to all my nice speakers.

Alternatively I can swap the inputs and have the SKY HD+ come through the amp and speakers, but then switching to HDMI2 for the PS3 makes the PS3 sound pass through to the TV and not to the amp speakers.

It's like it can take two HDMI video and audio inputs, but it can only configure one to be used by the amp and the other just passes through. It's irritating and I find it hard to understand technically why this limitation would exist.

In addition, sometimes I get a lot of crackling or distorted image on the TV and i have to switch the amp off, wait a second and then switch back on and it all recovers again. It's like there are automatic settings that don't always get it right every time it is switched on or changed mode.

I get the feeling if I could upgrade the firmware in this box it could be improved greatly, I don't know if firmware updates for amps like this exist though!

Hope this helps someone. My suggestion is buy it if it is much cheaper than similar alternatives at the time you buy (I've had mine about a year and it was a very good bargain at the time), but consider other alternatives.