Samsung AV-R710 - couple of setup questions from newbie!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by thewibbler, Jan 1, 2007.

1. thewibbler

thewibbler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Samsung AV-R710, and have a few questions:

- I have an XBox 360 that I play games with, and stream music through. I've configured it as the "DVD" on the amplifier, and connected it using an optical cable. However, it always shows Dolby Digital, and therefore I can't use Dolby Pro Logic IIx (it states that in the manual) for music. How can I get the machine to be Dolby Digital for XBOX 360 games (which is presume is the best format for it) but Dolby Pro Logic IIx for XBOX 360 music?

- what's the difference between NEO:6 and Dolby Pro Logic IIx? Are they competing standards, and if so which is better?

2. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    With regards to the Xbox 360 - it converts everything to DD 5.1 before it output it to the amp. Stereo is therefore converted to DD 5.1 BUT only left and right channel actually carry sound. However as far as the amp goes it thinks it is receiving 5.1 and therefore Dolby Pro Logic IIx has no effect.

With regards to the difference between dts NEO:6 and Dolby Pro Logic IIx - Yes they competing standards and which sounds better I guess is a personal preference. For me it is NEO:6 Music for music and Dolby Pro Logic IIx Cinema for film/tv/etc.