1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung announces a 71 inch DLP TV for US Market

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Chanser, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Chanser

Chanser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Samsung announces a new 71 inch DLP HDTV with 1080p resolution.

The Samsung PAVV SVP-71L8UH is only 518mm deep. This huge DLP HDTV features 10000:1 contrast ratio. The full resolution is 1920x1080, ideal for Xbox 360 or Sony PS3.
    Apparently this new Samsung DLP HDTV SVP-71L8UH will be available in the US starting next month.
    There is already a 71 inch Samsung DLP HDTV on the market in the US with the model number called Samsung HLR7178W. Cannot really make out a difference without more technical details on the SVP-71L8UH. They could be the same.
    More details and photos on AVing.
    DLP HDTVs are currently maybe the more cost effective choice to get true 1080p resolution. There are Plasma and LCD HDTVs with 1080p and more are coming, but very pricey in the large sizes.

http://www.i4u.com/article4058.html

All I can say, I hope this type of TV reaches european shores :D :eek:.

2. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There really is no point talking about these massive sets from the USA.

I have just returned from the USA and Big TV's there are common and priced VERY competitively.

Where as in the UK 50 inch would seem big, over there at stores like Best Buy and Circuit City they are on the smaller end of the spectrum, with 70 inch TVs common as dirt.

3. Chanser

Chanser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    May as well lock or delete thread.

4. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    We've been discussing these new 1080 dlps for several weeks, but no-one seems very interested. The new SVP-71L8UH is probably not aimed at the US. Samsung's models designations suggest that it is actually for the rest of the World, as it most likely has PAL and SECAM capability as well as NTSC and ATSC. The US market is already served by the HL-R7168W, 7178W and many others, which are NTSC/ATSC only. They're selling like hot cakes, though.

Nick

5. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    there is only a handfull in the uk interested in tv's being that size ie, Razor and there is Razor and oh Razor and lets not forget razor lol hi Razor :hiya:
    the problem is you compare the avarage house size's us houses are a lot bigger hence bigger screens.........did i mention Razor likes big screens :clap: :clap:

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Did someone call. [​IMG]

7. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,275

Absolutely

A situation that's not going to change soon either I reckon.

Take most of the homes being built these days, couldn't swing a cat in most of them let alone get a 70" TV through the door :eek:

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    :hiya:

I agree that new build are tiny compared to the older house. I personaly thing the UK has puts to much importance on furniture rather than AV. My RD65 fits nicely in my bay window. Bay windows are a waste of space normally but not if they are filled with a nice big display. :lesson:

I can remember when the average tv set size was 21' in the UK. I just couldnt bring my self to watch a screen this size. My picture in picture is bigger than that and my bedroom tv is 46'.

Roll on big displays, you have at least one die hard fan here :clap: Although I doubt my purchases would sustain the market, time to spread the word. [​IMG]

:D

9. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a tv that size is no good because although it fits in the house, you need the space in front of it to view it......i.e 10ft away is way too close...this could be a problem even for a 56'' too. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

because the 60'' screen in currys looked rediculous, because you naturally move back before you can take a good look............only 8ft away, FORGET IT; i was reversing back to 15ft and then looking at it! :lesson:

what is bad news is.........any closer than this 15ft and i felt quite uncomfortable...``bloody hell i cant see a thing, lets move back``.....it was like standing in front of a red hot furnace....the screen simply repells you away!

the 56'' Sagem could also be too big.........i'll have to think about this

10. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    The rule of thumb for HDTVs is that you should sit three times the screen height away.

11. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Yep 71" tvs arnt really needed here, alough having the choice to buy one would be nice. I often get what the hell is that thing when people see my 46" tosh which is small fry screen size in the usa. Here 32" is seen as all thats needed and up from that people seem to think is over kill. Not me the bigger the better:)

12. skip

skip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If that set ever came in at about two grand a pop believe me we would all be knocking walls down to fit one in, and not just Razor. p.s hows the honey nut crunch going mate

13. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just put a nice new oak sideboard in my bay window :rolleyes: but actually I don't think it would be the right place for a TV as in my place that would put the fireplace behind the seating.

Personally the thought of anything bigger than a 50" in my living room is not pleasant, my 46" Sammy L6 is more than large enough when switched off, and about right when switched on. I say more than large enough because after quite a few weeks of ownership, it still seems to dominate the room when off.

I've decided to go for front projection for 'serious' DVD viewing in the evening (and a bit of Xbox play from time to time) so I can put the screen in the bay window, which will enable it to be hidden when not in use a la LV426's setup which I saw photo's of recently in another thread. The 46" Sammy can continue to show me a good sized pic for everything else.

14. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Skip :hiya:

Crunchy nut is all gone now.... :smashin:

Nice too see your in the no tv's too big crew.

15. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Count me in.

It's amazing how quickly you can get used to a 50" plasma and think "it's just about right for us, really".

Nick

16. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    How dare you all. Now go and wash your mouths out with sopa and water!!!

You sound like my wife!! The words 'too big' and 'TV' should never be put together in the same sentence!! Im disgusted!! ;)

17. skip

skip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    razor :hiya: nope as my wife says the bigger the better, on a more serious note i have had the sammy a couple of months now and i just treat it as like i did with my old 32" panny.you just get used to them 50" and i can honestly say if that 71" ever came into this country and was affordable i will be in there.starting to sound like you razor a bit now, with your 82"mits. mmm where is them honey nuts. :rotfl:

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Nice to see that there are more No TV's too Big members. :clap: :clap: :clap:

19. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

Totally agree that no tv is too big, i have to admit that if that 71" sammy arrived over here id be very tempted. Im getting a bit used to my 50 now although i still think its sh**t hot, but a bit bigger would be nice. :devil:

20. raymen

raymen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Here is another 61 ich owner.

I can`t believe i have watched for more then a year on a 50 " television...

And i wont turn back.. :smashin: :smashin:

Mvrg,
    Raymen