Samsung and Hitachi-LG planning dual-format players in 2007 says DigiTimes

StooMonster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
DigiTimes says that Samsung is "planning to offer dual-format recorders that can record and play back BD and HD DVD movies," while Hitachi (a devout member of the Blay-ray Disc Association), is also "considering production of dual-format devices." Engadget writes that they also went so far as to point out the obvious when noting that a "dual-format device would be more expensive than a single-format unit" -- but hey, it's likely cheaper than buying one of each, eh?

DigiTimes article: http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20061214PD201.html

Combo players? Would call a cease-fire in the "war" immediately.

StooMonster

It's only a matter of time - Samsung (due ot their close links with Toshiba) and Hitachi (due to their partnership with LG and the need to maintain their position as the biggest optical drive producer) are obvious choices to lead the dual format revolution. Liteon - who are already producing both flavours of drive - are not likely to be far behind with a combi offering.

And once we get the drives I doubt the standalones will be much more than a year behind...

Well here we are, more proof that HD-DVD is not going to go away.

As I have been saying for some time the drift towards neutrality is what we are seeing, not greater exclusivity in favour of one or other.

The truth is that this is a disaster for Blu-ray and it's backers; they are owed a lot of money by Blu-ray and the last thing they needed was a competitor taking sales and slowing returns and diminishing profits.

The impact of even cheaper HD-DVD devices can only be guessed at......but I think we all have a good idea - those of us not blinded by a rather ludicrous 'brand loyalty' to a (mostly) foreign multinational that is.

The truth is that this is a disaster for Blu-ray and it's backers; they are owed a lot of money by Blu-ray and the last thing they needed was a competitor taking sales and slowing returns and diminishing profits.

Once dual format players take root, that would be the end of the format war. It means both formats are here to stay. And that would spell a failure on Blurry to neutralize the other camp as it had always aimed to be the ONE and only one HD format.

and theirs blu-ray thinking it would have been all over by this christmas:rotfl:

Once dual format players take root, that would be the end of the format war. It means both formats are here to stay. And that would spell a failure on Blurry to neutralize the other camp as it had always aimed to be the ONE and only one HD format.

..........or current HD-DVD owners will gradually move over to Blu-Ray while still being able to play their back catalogue on a duel format machine.

Of the coming releases, I'll by 5-1 in favour of Blu-Ray.

Let's face it, HD-DVD releases are slowing up.

HD-DVD has plenty of studio support.

Each to their own but frankly the loss of Fox and Disney is not my idea of a major problem
(and in any event the availability of SD DVD and.....er.....shall we say 'HD sources other than retail release' make this whole supposed 'lack of studio support' laughable).

..........or current HD-DVD owners will gradually move over to Blu-Ray while still being able to play their back catalogue on a duel format machine.

Of the coming releases, I'll by 5-1 in favour of Blu-Ray.

Let's face it, HD-DVD releases are slowing up.

not saying I agree with this point, but at least its an alternative scenario. I really don't understand why dual players are so welcomed by either side - I don't see how it provides any clarification on the situation.

if most players on the market are dual format, why would studios continue to release two versions of the disc? Why would retailers continue to stock both formats?

as soon as one of the formats had a small enough marketshare of dedicated players, both retailers and studios would simply stop producing those discs, making the other format the default standard.

if most players on the market are dual format, why would studios continue to release two versions of the disc? Why would retailers continue to stock both formats?
They wouldn't, they would go for the one that was cheaper to manufacture because it would give them a higher margin.

as soon as one of the formats had a small enough marketshare of dedicated players, both retailers and studios would simply stop producing those discs, making the other format the default standard.
The cheapest of the two formats to manufacture is HD DVD, thus I imagine that Blu-ray Disc Association will be fighting against any such dual-format players.

StooMonster

not saying I agree with this point, but at least its an alternative scenario. I really don't understand why dual players are so welcomed by either side - I don't see how it provides any clarification on the situation.

Because ultimately there are studios in both camps that will stick to their chosen formats - if most players are dual format then Universal will continue to support HD DVD, Sony BluRay and the others will support whichever suits their needs best.

Either way it makes the format war irrelevant to the average consumer. A single machine to play any disc.

Fair point.

Sony, Fox and Disney would stick with Blu-ray and the others would go for cheapest to manufacture IMO.

StooMonster

Samsung ?

After reading reports over there Blu-Ray player i think i would give them a miss
Their BluRay player actually has a very poor press but is (for PQ) the equal of the more expensive Panasonic model post it's firmware update. The DVD playback of the machine is very poor though...including being unable to display SD DVD 4:3 material correctly! :eek:

Nevertheless if Samsung produces the dual format optical drive it will enable companies like Arcam and Denon to develop standalone solutions.

If Arcam announced a dual-format player I would order it now, especially and FMJ one. :devil:

StooMonster

Fair point.

Sony, Fox and Disney would stick with Blu-ray and the others would go for cheapest to manufacture IMO.

StooMonster

by cheapest to manufacture, I assume you mean cheapest to buy? The studios don't press their own discs. Not sure if its Sony directly, but I thought I read that the BDA are 'ensuring price competitiveness' with HDDVD, presumably by subsidising the cost of production so its transparant to the studios.

If that continues, then price becomes a non-issue

Yes, I do mean cheapest to buy and duplicate. But fair point richard, there's subsidies which should be considered.

However, Sony subsidising PS3 hardware and directly or indirectly software via BDA has to be a huge drain on financial resources on the corporation. Can they really fund both when the profit margin on software is supposed to off-set the losses on hardware?

StooMonster

Blu-Ray discs are cheaper in the US than HD-DVD discs, by a very small margin, and in some cases significantly cheaper in the UK.

So they're giving money away at retail too?

StooMonster

Good news about dual format players. More reason to hold on for a bit more.

If Arcam announced a dual-format player I would order it now, especially and FMJ one. :devil:

Me too but if it takes Arcam all these years to make the first universal player (for SACD/DVD-A) I simply can't wait that long for their dual-format HD player!

This is indeed good news to see the likes of LG embarking on Dual Format.

In the short / medium term it means that those that have already made a choice and bought into a format can now confidently purchase the other one when the prices drop to their comfort zone, knowing they will be supported.

Only then will we be able to apply consumer pressure on the studios by making our choices based on:-
Price
Content (extras)
Region Code (or not)
or simply availability

Later, probably much later the likes of Denon and Arcam will come in with the definitive player of choice, but by that time we'll need to replace our players anyway.

Slightly off topic, do you think Dual Format will involve a single blue laser diode with a changed angle of incidence and focus or a second switchable one ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom