Samsung all round cinema sound system is not functioning properly!

gimblegirl

Novice Member
Reaction score
Bought this just over a year ago: HT-J5500 5 speaker 5.1ch Blu-ray and DVD Theatre System

Was working beautifully!

For no reason sound has stopped coming out of three of the speakers including sub-woofer.

Samsung said do a software update – did it - made no difference!

Have done a sound check and the test shows all the speakers are working ok.

No idea what is going on – can anyone help/suggest what next please?

What source are you using, it's built-in Blu-ray/DVD or an input from other equipment?

It is a standalone Home Cinema Sound Surround Blu-Ray and DVD with six ports/connectors at the rear for the speakers. I have used it in conjunction with a projector to watch films, and also used it alone using the bluetooth function to listen to music.
It was working fine on all the surround speakers but then just stopped working - sound only comes out of two of the speakers.
I did the speaker test from the menu option and bizarrely they all work!! But then when I try to use bluetooth or a dvd sound still only comes out of two speakers?!!
I have tried putting the leads from the other speakers into different ports (they are all colour coded) and worked out that there are only two ports/connectors which play sound to the two speakers.
I hope I have explained it well enough - any ideas what might be going on?
Thanks
Gimblegirl

It sounds as though you have the wrong audio mode selected if all speakers work using the test procedure.

have tried putting the leads from the other speakers into different ports (they are all colour coded) and worked out that there are only two ports/connectors which play sound to the two speakers.
So the sound is coming out of only the same two ports at the back?

That seems right since the speaker test works on all.

Try other sources. A smart hub app, it has radio doesn't it? HDMI in? If all sources have sound on the same two ports it may be doomed.

So far the sources you have tried are 'internal'. An HDMI input like a Freeview or Sky box would be interesting.

It sounds as though you have the wrong audio mode selected if all speakers work using the test procedure.
Or that :laugh:

However the Samsung HTs are fairly simple audio mode wise and mine sticks a mode as set to each input. Still - try setting the sound modes to 5.1 and even pseudo 7.1 (if on that model) on those other inputs as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I will have a go at changing the sound mode - finger crossed!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom