Samsung Advice

antipodeansam

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I purchased a Samsung Q900R (2019) earlier this year and to cut a long story short am very unhappy with it due to lack of EARC update; the inability to ever stream av1 for 8k and the fact it does not meet Samsung’s or Lg’s 2020 criteria for “official” 8k. The store have offered me an exchange but I can’t afford the new 8k models difference in price so I’m considering would it be a significant downgrade going from the Q900R (2019) to a Q95T? (2020) other than the resolution (which isn’t really available yet anyway) it seems to meet most of my needs but clearly not as premium or as many dimming zones, also not a 10bit. What does this look like in real world terms for somebody like myself. Used for movies, tv and soon Xbox series x with the Sonos arc and surrounds, sub sound system. Any help would be awesome.

Last edited:
Why not think about a 65 oled lg cx. It has all your gaming needs earc better contrast. I see no need to buy 8k with no content on the horizon. The oled should cover everything you need

I would love to but to negotiate a nice tv with the wife she likes the picture frame feature (not scrolling) and that would rule out Oled and the store doesn’t stock much of an LG range; only Panasonic

I wouldn't bother looking to get an 8K television for many, many years yet. I suspect you'd be very happy with the Q95, or like Martin says, on OLED.

I would never let the frame of a tv rule over picture. A decent panasonic oled would be perfect

Probably the reason you can't afford a 8k model now is because TVs will be priced on the high side due to the time of year. Your cash now will go for a lot less than if you buy in a sale, or when TVs are in clearance usually around spring, for example.

With Samsung the Q90T/Q95T are the models in 2020 with the best local dimming, so those are the obvious choices if you narrow your choice due to ambient mode.

I'm not sure of your local pricing though, but here in the UK prices on the Samsung models is currently very high and a TV like the Sony XH95050 is a lot better...maybe that model locally to you is sold as X950H or X9500H.
I would never let the frame of a tv rule over picture. A decent panasonic oled would be perfect
I think he meant the Samsung ambient mode feature that turns the TV into a picture frame when not in use. Even if some OLEDs had this feature, it isn't a great idea for this anyway due to static pictures being displayed. I do agree that it should be picture quality>ambient mode though, I'd much rather have the LG CX OLED than the Samsung Q90/Q95T personally.

Yep you are spot on, but the store is offering a replacement now and not sure they will hold off until the sales. They are currently stipulating I must swap 8k for 8k and Samsung for Samsung and pay the difference but I do not think it is fair to acknowledge there is an issue and offer an exchange and then to later stipulate it must be to another 8k set because one of my concerns was around the 8k playback or lack there of. So I am pushing back on this but now may end up unable to swap. So if I sell I may wait until the sales and see what I can get on black Friday or whenever prices drop. Thanks for the feedback. I would rather have an OLED but the burn in with two kids regularly leaving you tube app open, Xbox being left on etc is a concern.

I think you have a valid reason to get a direct replacement in the new Q900T/Q950T.

The lineup in 2020 is a little different to 2019. Not only with the addition of HDMI 2.1, but also in the local dimming performance of the TVs. The Q900T/Q950T are an upgrade in dimming compared to the Q90T which puts them more in line with last years Q90R.

In other words, the Q90T might be a small regression compared to your current TV with HDR performance, and really you want to push for the Q900T or Q950T if you can.

I'm not sure what you mean by issues relating to owning an 8k TV. If its related to HDMI 2.0 not supporting a native input signal then this will be solved in 2020.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom