Samsung 950 or Denon 1920 ????

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lewisn1, Aug 3, 2006.

1. lewisn1

lewisn1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know the Denon 1920 is What Hi-fi DVD player of the year so I would guess it should be better.

But is it worth paying twice as much as the Samsung 950, which also had a good review???

I need a good upscaler for my new Panny px60 and have about £200 to spend.

Thanks,
    Neil.

2. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    I would say you don't (need a good upscaler for my new Panny px60) because the px60 does an excellent job of scaling itself.

But having said that, I would recommend an Oppo DV971H for £170 as that is my combination (PX60+971) and it is simply gobsmakingly gorgeous :smashin:

3. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +406
    If you have enough money then go for the oppo, I can't see you being that impressed by the samsung.

4. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    I've had the Samsung 950 twice (both went kaput) and now have the Denon 1920.

The Denon is HUGELY better in all respects in my opinion. The picture quality and sound quality are better, as is the error correction. I watched a DVD the other day which had skipped in the Samsung (and others) and it didn't skip a frame as far as I'm aware in the Denon.

The Denon also has SACD and DVD-A capability, as well as divx, xvid and mp3.

HDMI is incredibly good to my AE700.

I got mine for £200 in Richer Sounds after haggling a bit.

5. johnnyskullhead

johnnyskullhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    want one cant find one !!!!:lease:
    not paying prc direct 300 nicker

6. russelkhan

russelkhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    UK prices are just ridiculous. I got my Denon DVD-1920 in Singapore for £170. It was even region-free, although the firmware was an older version and I had to flash it myself when I brought it home, not that it made much of a difference!

7. Spookyville

Spookyville

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    denon no longer available anywhere so argument is moot and as far as I am aware the samsung 950 plays every single media the denon does. How do I know? because I have been doing a lot of research past few days seen as the denon 1920 which I was after is history as far as buying in shops is concearned. Denon units have also been known to fail as well you know

8. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Having had various denon stuff for years have never had a problem with any of them! Samsung on the other hand is just cheap rubbish!

Weymouth hifi:
    http://www.weymouthhifi.co.uk/

had last week 2 silver units in stock...

9. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I have had both DVD players for almost 10 months now
    My observations using each on a "lowly" 32" Phillips LCD (9830)

1) Whether in isolation or in comparison, the Samsung is not "rubbish" .. for £80 odd it is a nice player as long as you dont expect it to give highly detailed crisp images on your 60" projector. Its 720p is marginally better than 576p but on the whole its upscaling is so so . It also has well known niggles ( the "neon" lights : panel and power, HDMI not supported message, non auto swtiching NTSC/PAL and occasional fussiness with DVD -R or +R ( which the Denon has as well) )
    Like the Denon, it also does SACD, DVD-A and Divx, xvid and mp3. Its sound output is a tad above average compared to my older Panasonic s75

2) The Denon ( for the money) is not twice as good as the Samsung but apart from composite video, is way better than the Samsung both video and audio on all connections ( whether upscalled or not).
    The Samsungs replacement 960 is not in the UK ( not sure it will come) and Denon seem to have stopped making the 1920

IMHO Samsung is not" cheap rubbish " and Denon is not totally Bug free but side by side the Denon is really that much better. As for whether it is worth twice the Samsung : Yes (IMHO), if PQ is that important and your display is capable of showing it off.YMMV
    However if I only had the Samsung and were skint ( arent we all??) I could happily live with it and put up with any limitations. However I consider it a lost opportunity for Samsung as they could have made a much better player of it

The Suggestions for the Oppo may be worth looking at . Ive see it in use but havent had the oppo myself .
    :

To be sure there is a lot of life yet in SD DVD but I wouldnt go overboard for a DVD player ( unless I won a say Arcam DV 29:smashin: ).
    High Definition formats are not desperately far away ( I hope :rolleyes: )and we may yet have backward compatible multiformat players.:cool:
    Or in the meantime.. Denon might release the 1920s sucessor which may be just as good .. or better and perhaps even cheaper:D

Good luck:thumbsup:
    Off topic:
    In addition to the DVD player I have the Denon 3803 AV reciever and a Yamaha RX V740: Both very good : the point there being that all companies make great and duff kit as such, I try and avoid brand loyalty: just pray to be lucky when you get yours!!