1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung 945 experience

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by picasso, Nov 22, 2004.

1. picasso

picasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ppl,

Anyone can tell me about sound quality in Samsung HD945 ? Is this a good CD and SACD player ?

many thanks

2. picasso

picasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again ppl,

One more question, there's a Faroudja chip inside HD945 or not? The 945 make upscalling and 745 dont, is true ? this make a big picture quality diference?

Thanks in advance

3. xavk1

xavk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Picasso,

This player has not yet hit the UK as far as I can tell. Suppliers are taking pre-orders and keep reporting imminent deliveries (DigiUk has been stating "this week" for over a month now). This is why no one is commenting on its' quality etc.

There is also some confusion regarding upconverting capabilities of this device. Both the Samsung USA and UK sites have listed Faroudja as a capability, but some French enthousiasts who got their hands on one and when they took it apart, it was some other chip (cannot remember what it was, but a search on this site should reveal it).

I guess the short answer is that you have to wait for stocks to arrive for some hard answers.

X

4. silent-BOBBY

silent-BOBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just spoke to Digi UK..they've basically said samsung will get it "next week" again..so that means beginning of Dec. This was after saying samsung have definately booked in the delivery for last Friday.

So keep waiting guys..thats what I am doing until I can find an alternative that does what I want it to do.

5. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I had one of these on order in June with Digi UK with a 4-5 weeks till due notification. To be fair I don't think its their problem but this player is a real red herring....

6. Vanderlay

Vanderlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It remains to be seen what chip is in it. As far as I could call from the scattered news about the 945, Samsung had started out wanting to produce it with the Faroudja chipset, but for some reason replaced it with Zoran Vaddis somewhere in the process which was never corrected in their advertising in some countries.

If this is good or bad, I don't know

7. paul147

paul147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung experience forget it :censored: after having waited months for this player and placing an order with digi uk 4 weeks ago,i have had a phone call from them to say that this player (get this) is no longer available!! :censored: :censored: and is not possible to obtain anywhere therefore samsung :suicide: having supported you over the years you can forget about me as a prospective client ever again :suicide: .
    I have therefore looked at 2 other players see my other thread

8. alfie786

alfie786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    WHAT!!! i have not had a phone as of yet! but i did call today and they said to me we are now expecting them guess when ..... Yes NEXT week LOL!!!!

what a F joke! I am sure its all to do with the chipset personally or there are probs with the player now thinking about the DENON 1910 no hdmi but has DVi so if u get a hdmi to dvi then it will be fine on the Tosh

9. paul147

paul147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alfie now you know how i feel!!. I too believe that there is a problem with the chipset as the french spec model was different from the uk one advertised,i have subsequently spoken to other suppliers and NONE of them has this player and none of them will give a definitive answer to a simple question,as for another player well take a look at the philips dvp900sa advertised in there current catalogue.
    Regards P147

10. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I ordered one from Electrical Discount UK (which I got from the UK Samsung web site) and they emailed me back with the option to cancel since the player was not due untill ...... wait for it..... The end of December. As they are an official Samsung dealer (as are Digi UK) then I imagine Digi UK will get it at the same time. I am personally going to wait for this player.

I emailed Samsung UK about the chipset and I am happy to report this is their reply:-

Dear Robert,

Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

With regards your enquiry about the DVD-HD945 DVD Player we are pleased to confirm that it does have the Faroudja DCDI Upscaling.

I hope this is of some assistance.

If this does not resolve the issue please contact us on 08702 420 303.

Yours Sincerely,

Ray L.

Samsung Electronics

11. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Great to know that it has the Faroudja DCDi Upscaling Chip, but end of december? NOOOOOO! Don't know if I can wait that long.

How would the Panasonic DVD-S97 compare to the Samsung in terms of Picture Quality on a Panasonic AE700 @720p through HDMI?

Thanks

12. Vanderlay

Vanderlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, call me a sceptic but in my eyes it remains to be seen if it really has the Faroudja chip. My guess is they just looked on their own website and took the outdated information off of there.

I can't say this for sure of course, but on a different forum, someone got the exact opposite message from the nordic branch of Samsung and I would doubt it very much that they send out two different European versions. Also, the French guys who opened their machine said it was Zoran Vaddis inside.

13. alfie786

alfie786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The proof is in the pudding as they say wait till i get mine and get inside. I can wait not in such a hurry! If panasonic brings one out with the features then i will buy their's as they do have great PQ.

14. jrosado

jrosado
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi:

Is should not take much longer, since there are people in the avsforum (USA forum) that are starting to get their orders on the samsung 941 (USA equivalent to 945) shipped this week :)

Regards,

J. Rosado