1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung 935 via DVI

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gp2229, Dec 30, 2003.

1. gp2229

gp2229

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am looking for a helping hand before I buy the Samsung 935. I have 30" LG LCD which has one RGB Scart and a DVI (described as providing DVI-D function). I am planning to connect my Tivo/Sky box to the RGB and to use the DVI to the DVD hence buying Samsung 935.

Before I do this I was looking for some reassurance that the screen modes are compatible with the Samsung which seems to be 720P 60 Hz or 1020i 60 Hz. The screen lists its available resolutions under DVI as 720x400, 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864, 1280x768, 1280x960, 1280x1024 at a range if different frequencies.

Sorry if this is an obvious question but how do I know which of these would match the DVD output and give me the best picture?

Any help much appreciated.

Graham

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Graham,

The 935 won't output computer-type resolutions like 1280x768 or 1024x768, unlike players such as the Momitsu. It looks like the LG won't accept ATSC HDTV resolutions such as 720p and 1080i that the 935 will output. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    When I used the 935 on my projector in 720p mode the projector reported it as receiving a 1280x720 signal rather than a 720p one.

Not sure if that helps at all!

I suggest just trying each mode and see which looks best to you. After all, that is all that really matters!

Cheers
    Marc

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Marc,

Yes, 720p is the same as 1280x720, but that is an HDTV resolution, not a computer resolution so it looks like Graham's LG won't accept it on the DVI input. My Pioneer is the same in that it will only accept computer resolutions through the DVI on the standard PDA-5002 card. Hope this helps.

Steve

5. gp2229

gp2229

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help on this. Do you think therefore that the Momitsu would give me better compatibility and flexibility with with the screen?

Graham

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Graham,

The Momitsu would give more compatibility because the Samsung won't work with your screen with DVI!

Steve

7. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The Samsung lacks film mode deinterlacing according to this review of the PAL version (badly translated from german)

*edit* i'm not sure if they are referring to both anologue and DVI out...

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe..._DVD-HD935/Samsung935Test.htm&lp=de_en&tt=url

"Anologue output. The De-Interlacer used here does not possess a film mode. On the DVD noted pictorial material always like interlaced video material one treats: From one resounding picture each, a frame is interpolated. With video material this leads to acceptable results. With diagonal edges show up however easy interpolation inaccuracies, which become disturbing apparent in remarkably jerky edges. Contrary to video material motion picture films with 24 pictures per second are taken up. With more correctly progressive rendition the cinema pictures from two following each other half-images are reconstructed. The Samsung player does not know this so-called Filmmode De Interlacing or "Weaving". Instead also here, as with video material, the missing lines "are computed". This proceeding does not ensure akkurate reproduction of the motion picture film with film DVDs, which constitutes the largest part of the market with distance. The image quality suffers here clearly: The maximally possible dissolution of detail, which film DVDs offer, is not reached. Small picture elements lose structure and thin horizontal elements appear jerky with edge flares. In particular with vertical movements (e.g. camera travels) these deficiencies appear clearly: The entire picture works jerkily, picture elements trembles and "ruckeln". Lacking the similar expenditure for progressive is to be evaluated by the film mode only with sufficient. Calculated most usual application, which became "film looking", neglects.

Digital. b) Digitally differently it looks with the digital image output over the DVI interface. Here the mentioned Faroudja technology comes to the employment, with the used protruding results: Video material "is converted" very highly detailed to the double vertical dissolution. Here from Faroudja patented "DCDi" helps technology: Aufwaendiger mathematical algorithm "recognizes" diagonal picture elements and adds the missing picture information in appropriate place akkurat. Of it the dissolution of detail profits to particularly on diagonal edges, as they occur particularly frequently in the picture (e.g. trim of cars), which become "stair formation" and "Aliasing" of effects reduced. Also the De-Interlacing of filmmaterial takes place in outstanding quality. Faroudja electronics recognizes independently whether it concerns with the noted picture signal filmmaterial and activate the appropriate progressive variant. Cinema pictures are reconstructed akkurat from the resounding pictures. The result is a very well dissolved picture, with leg-printing sharpness. Also of badly gemasterten DVDs without "flags" or with incorrect additional information the Faroudja film mode cannot be brought from the peace. Only in the rarest cases it "jumps" with films into the inadvertent video mode. Thus disappointing the De-Interlacing with the similar image output, so surprisingly shows up the very good progressive representation over the DVI interface. The results shown here correspond to the current state of the art. The fact is the more incomprehensible that existing electronics in the Samsung is used not also for the similar classifications of signals. "