Samsung 935 - component PQ

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by common, Jan 1, 2004.

1. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am using the samsung 935 via DVI to my Sony HS10 pj. The quality of well mastered DVD's is awesome however some films look pants with lots of 'noise'

To combat this I have also connected the component outputs to the HS10 allowing me to switch between DVI and component depending on the movie.

Switching to component reminds me of the early days of dolby NR on tape decks - detail is reduced and image is softer - but it can make watching a film a much more enjoyable experience and I am largely impressed with the PQ

What I really need to know is just how good the component out's are on the 935 - if average I will purchase another DVD player such as a tosh 900e, onkyo 939 or Pioneer 757 to work along side the 935

any views ?

2. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  3. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Common i have exactly the same issue with my 935, i have a 935 and a 757, the 935 is fed into my Z2 via dvi and the 757 via component. For some movies i.e the right source material or mastered dvd the 935 via dvi really is stunning and the picture is just so sharp, far sharper in fact than my 757 and this is on a 9ft diagonal screen. On other movies that are not mastered very well then the image is very poor just far too much noise. I then tend to watch these movies via my 757 which is then much better as there is far less or no noise. I will however try the 935 via compenent and compare this to the 757 and report the results for you.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I am tempted to try out the Samsung on my AE100 with componant. I take it that it does progressive PAL & NTSC.
    Also what de-interlace does it use ?
    Where did you guys purchase this player from? A UK search came up negative :(

cheers

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Timh, it does both PAL & NTSC progressive and up converts if you wish to 720p & 1080i. It uses DCDi by Faroudga for the deinterlacing. I bought mine from the classifieds section as most retailers i tried were not in stock or i could not get through.
    If you keep an eye out on the classifieds over the next few weeks i might be selling mine due to a potential change in set up.

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    inzaman

Thanks for the info, it seems to have a pretty good spec for the price (£175 from digi uk).
    I will keep an eye on the classifieds section.

7. robbo24

robbo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I bought a Samsung 935 from panther online for £139, and agree with most peoples comments. Stunningly sharp and detailed pictures on some well encoded discs, on poorer discs digital noise and artifacts show and can be off putting, i tend to turn off the progressive scan and lower the sharpness setting on my pj for the poorer discs. The dvd player is slow to respond from the menu and the remote not the easiest to use, but value for money i recommend this player very highly in terms of picture quality. Dave.

8. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Right i have now done some comparisons between the 935 and my 757 via component. The main discs that i tried were Spiderman R2 and The Rock Criterion R1, i chose these as they do have some noise via dvi.
    For Spiderman there was very little difference between my 935 & 757 (non Progressive on 757) the 757 would just edge it and i mean only just. On a blind test i would not tell the difference.
    For the Rock the 757 (ntsc progressive enabled) was noticeably better, sharper and more cinematic than the 935 but again there is not a large margin in it. I did find the 757 to have more strength in the blacks, which is a bug bear of mine having a lcd pj.
    For the sound duties the 757 was better, certainly for the rears, but again not a lot in it.
    In summary if i had just a 935 and demo'd a 757 with a view to purchasing, for picture quality alone i would not part with my hard earned on the 757, it is slightly better but not several hundred pounds better. I would definitely try and demo the 668 as that is a good price and you have both dvi and component which may be better than the 935.
    I am lucky to have both dvd players so get the best of both worlds but i may sell both as i want to venture into the realms of hcpc, in the near future.

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    inzaman

Can you tell me if the 935 can be set to film mode in the progressive setup menu for componant out.

Thats a great price Dave, are you using dvi or componant?

Cheers

10. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Inzaman

many thanks for taking the time to do the test

11. robbo24

robbo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Tim,
    I am using DVI with a 5m lindy cable to my z2, but also have component cables and to my eyes there is a slight improvement with DVI. Dave.

12. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Thanks Dave :)

Tim