Samsung 8K Q950R QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

I own a 82Q950R (2019) and i found this e-manual under "support" of the product page on Samsung's regional site.

to summarize the e-manual.

The HDMI 3 (ARC) port of the One Connect Box is also eARC (v2.1 supposedly)
To be eARC the port must follow the v2.1 HDMI standard.
HDMI ARC - What is eARC? Audio Return Channel - HDMI
Maybe. Manufacturers can produce products that are compatible with both eARC and ARC. However, eARC is not defined to be backwards compatible with ARC.

AND

The e-manual is stating the HDMI 4 port is capable of (7680X4320 at 50/ 60FPS)
This is clearly above HDMI v2 that is limited to 4K but below HDMI v2.1 full specs when the resolution can go up to (7680X4320 at 120 FPS).

HDMI 4 port appears to be v2.1 compliant but has no eARC.

Because the specifications are based on the current 8K connectivity and decoding standards, future connectivity, broadcasting, and decoding standards may not be supported. Upgrading for meeting future standards may require

To me Samsung is playing a very risky game.

Question : How do you enable or disable the eARC ?

The answer is the link for the 2020 Samsung Tvs not 2019.

Last edited:
LOL, yeah...raising its ugly head again...

Nevertheless, another bit of info for those interested - given this debate above, I thought it worth trying/changing the connection to my Denon from the OCB's HDMI port 1 (supposedly v2.1) to HDMI port 4. As previously mentioned, in port 1 I get the message (image attached) that the TV is not configured for 8K/60hz & 4K/120hz, i.e. is not HDMI 2.1 specificaction...

...but when plugged into port 4? You guessed it - no message of incompatibility :cool:

In conclusion, it does appear that it is port 4 that is HDMI v2.1 not HDMI port 1? You live & learn :thumbsup:
Nice to get some clarity... 👌🏼😊

Out of curiosity, what does your Denon say if connected to HDMI 3 (ARC)?

I own a 82Q950R (2019) and i found this e-manual under "support" of the product page on Samsung's regional site.

to summarize the e-manual.

The HDMI 3 (ARC) port of the One Connect Box is also eARC (v2.1 supposedly)
To be eARC the port must follow the v2.1 HDMI standard.
HDMI ARC - What is eARC? Audio Return Channel - HDMI
Maybe. Manufacturers can produce products that are compatible with both eARC and ARC. However, eARC is not defined to be backwards compatible with ARC.

AND

The e-manual is stating the HDMI 4 port is capable of (7680X4320 at 50/ 60FPS)
This is clearly above HDMI v2 that is limited to 4K but below HDMI v2.1 when the resolution can go up to (7680X4320 at 120 FPS).

HDMI 4 port appears to be v2.1 compliant but has no eARC.

Because the specifications are based on the current 8K connectivity and decoding standards, future connectivity, broadcasting, and decoding standards may not be supported. Upgrading for meeting future standards may require

To me Samsung is playing a very risky game.

Question : How do you enable or disable the eARC ?

The answer is the link for the 2020 Samsung Tvs not 2019.

Unfortunately, Hdmi 2.1 doesn't require TV manufacturers to support all of the spec as it leaves it up to them. They can still be hdmi 2.1 compliant without earc, vrr, ALLM, higher refresh rates. You only have to look at some of the 4k 2020 models (from both LG and Samsung) which have down graded compared to 2019 in some cases to 40Gbs hdmi 2 1 ports. 40Gbs doesn't support 4k/120 12bit which makes sense given panels are 10bit. I would hazard a guess that this TV also has a single 40Gbs hdmi 2.1 port given the 8k/60 limit. Or its only capable of driving the panel at 8k/60.

As to eARC along with VRR and ALLM was introduced at Hdmi 2.1 but they don't require a hdmi 2.1 port'. So it maybe that the 8k/60 capable port is hdmi 2.1 but has no eARC and the eARC port is hdmi 2.0b.

Unfortunately, Hdmi 2.1 doesn't require TV manufacturers to support all of the spec as it leaves it up to them. They can still be hdmi 2.1 compliant without earc, vrr, ALLM, higher refresh rates. You only have to look at some of the 4k 2020 models (from both LG and Samsung) which have down graded compared to 2019 in some cases to 40Gbs hdmi 2 1 ports. 40Gbs doesn't support 4k/120 12bit which makes sense given panels are 10bit. I would hazard a guess that this TV also has a single 40Gbs hdmi 2.1 port given the 8k/60 limit. Or its only capable of driving the panel at 8k/60.

As to eARC along with VRR and ALLM was introduced at Hdmi 2.1 but they don't require a hdmi 2.1 port'. So it maybe that the 8k/60 capable port is hdmi 2.1 but has no eARC and the eARC port is hdmi 2.0b.
Yes, according to techradar's review one port is 2.1 and all the other three 2.0b. The ARC is for sure. As for playing, several guys in the Samsung forums with Q950R/Q900RB recently played in 4k@120hz 4:4:4 (12-bit) and also 8k@60hz but in 4:2:0 (10-bit) so that looks rather promising after all. Enough for me anyhow. 😉 Now if they could fix the god damn eARC... Not that you need it if just buy a decent receiver, but just because of the fact that they have made a promise, to so many, so many times.

Great work !
We can see clear enough but not totally through because the HDMI (ARC) port is #3 and supposedly eARC (v2.1) according to the e-manual :"The HDMI (ARC) port may support eARC in some models".

This possibly means a soundbar able to 8K pass through will be necessarily connected to HDMI port #4 but will not get the audio feedback from TV and uncompressed HD sound because not eARC able...:(
This also means the same 8K soundbar connected to HDMI (ARC) port #3 will be limited to 4K sources while the port is v2.1 but will get the audio feedback from TV and uncompressed HD sound via eARC.
Both ports would be extremely limited, one doing more or less than the other.
This is just a theory and deeper testings are required.

Last edited:
Thanks for this new test - ive promptly switched my HDMI used port to HDMI 4 on the TV which goes into my yamaha RX-V6A.

Nice to get some clarity... 👌🏼😊

Out of curiosity, what does your Denon say if connected to HDMI 3 (ARC)?
Yes, pretty confident now. Used HDMI port 3 (ARC port) and the same error message appears as above when trying to set it for 8K/60hz, i.e. "your TV is not configured..." etc.

But reconnecting to Port 4, it accepts the 8K link seamlessly with no issues :)

Hope it's of some use to you chaps?

Yes, pretty confident now. Used HDMI port 3 (ARC port) and the same error message appears as above when trying to set it for 8K/60hz, i.e. "your TV is not configured..." etc.

Very useful thanks

It sure is. Thanks! 👌🏼😊

Firmware update apparently today for some - not in UK though

It's in US... No eARC...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1602787803326.jpg
    FB_IMG_1602787803326.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 447
how do you test eARC ? This is something I'm waiting for but as explained in one of my posts above the port will be very limited.

how do you test eARC ? This is something I'm waiting for but as explained in one of my posts above the port will be very limited.

I have eARC running on all my devices attached to my AVR which is connected to this set now (HDMI 2.1 port 4)

@whitehart

I understand you have an eARC HUB on your AVR making the whole segment eARC
Do you also have an eARC link between your TV and your ARV ?
People are still complaining eARC is not implemented in Q950R with firmware 1371.0
TY.

Last edited:
@whitehart

I understand you have an eARC HUB on your AVR making the whole segment eARC
Do you also have an eARC link between your TV and your ARV ?
People are still complaining eARC is not implementedwith Q950R with firmware 1371.0
TY.

No eARC link up from AVR to TV - just use the HDMI 8K port (4) in europe i dont think we have the latest 1371 firmware yet sadly

No eARC link up from AVR to TV - just use the HDMI 8K port (4) in europe i dont think we have the latest 1371 firmware yet sadly
v.1371 can be downloaded from the support site now :smashin:

Sounds really tempting to update then. All the other sets I have at home have something changed after every FW update. 🤔
Given you post above with screenshot (from U.S. site) last Thurs, I reckon any changes are more functional than visual (or in the case of eARC - or lack of as it seems, audible).

I updated this afternoon & nothing specific seems to have changed, at least for me.

Given you post above with screenshot (from U.S. site) last Thurs, I reckon any changes are more functional than visual (or in the case of eARC - or lack of as it seems, audible).

I updated this afternoon & nothing specific seems to have changed, at least for me.
OK, sounds like a really boring update, and still no eARC... Talked to Samsung support today and, they are not saying it's not coming, but no one knew WHEN the eARC update would be released. As for this update, unfortunately I didn't have the time to ask what was done. My guess is they didn't have a clue anyway.

I think I'll wait to upgrade until I hear if anything useful has been made. We just have to keep each other updated as usual. 😊

LOL, yeah...raising its ugly head again...

Nevertheless, another bit of info for those interested - given this debate above, I thought it worth trying/changing the connection to my Denon from the OCB's HDMI port 1 (supposedly v2.1) to HDMI port 4. As previously mentioned, in port 1 I get the message (image attached) that the TV is not configured for 8K/60hz & 4K/120hz, i.e. is not HDMI 2.1 specificaction...

...but when plugged into port 4? You guessed it - no message of incompatibility :cool:

In conclusion, it does appear that it is port 4 that is HDMI v2.1 not HDMI port 1? You live & learn :thumbsup:
Heya mate is this for the q950r UK version buddy because I'm so confused if its port 1 or port 4 that is the real hdmi 2.1

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom