Samsung 8K Q950R QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

In here they have managed to play at 4k@120hz and 8k@60hz with the Q900R in port 4 using nvidias new monster graphics card.

Would be interesting to see if any of you guys have possibility to do the same with the Q950R? And test all ports. 😊

By the way, this was great news! 😁

In here they have managed to play at 4k@120hz and 8k@60hz with the Q900R in port 4 using nvidias new monster graphics card.

Would be interesting to see if any of you guys have possibility to do the same with the Q950R? And test all ports. 😊

By the way, this was great news! 😁
Are these the U.S. Q900R's? If so, IIRC, they're the equivalent of our Q950R...so in theory, it should likely work for us too.

Are these the U.S. Q900R's? If so, IIRC, they're the equivalent of our Q950R...so in theory, it should likely work for us too.
No, the thread is mainly about swapping OCB:s to new ones with 2.1-ports which you are eligible to do if you own the 2018 Q900R model. So most people posting there I suppose own the 2018 model. Of course this means that the Q950R has it too, we all know that. But which port? Would also like to see what the other ports are capable of.

And it would be interesting to see if there are any difference in the data transfer since Y, Cb and Cr seems to be limited to 4:2:0 10 bit with that OCB. Not even noticeable IRL but optimal would of course be 4:4:4 12 bit, that is, uncompressed luminance and colour. 😊

One more thing... What model number do you guys have on your OCB:s? Mine is SOC2003RS. Interesting to see if there are differences in between the model numbers as well.

Last edited:
No, the thread is mainly about swapping OCB:s to new ones with 2.1-ports which you are eligible to do if you own the 2018 Q900R model. So most people posting there I suppose own the 2018 model. Of course this means that the Q950R has it too, we all know that. But which port? Would also like to see what the other ports are capable of.

And it would be interesting to see if there are any difference in the data transfer since Y, Cb and Cr seems to be limited to 4:2:0 10 bit with that OCB. Not even noticeable IRL but optimal would of course be 4:4:4 12 bit, that is, uncompressed luminance and colour. 😊

One more thing... What model number do you guys have on your OCB:s? Mine is 2003RS. Interesting to see if there are differences in between the model numbers as well.
Ah, ok - thanks for that. But yes - as you infer, they should be, ostensibly, the same then.

And my model number is: SOC1006R :smashin:

Ah, ok - thanks for that. But yes - as you infer, they should be, ostensibly, the same then.

And my model number is: SOC1006R :smashin:
Yes it should be more or less the same. If anything, better, maybe able to support 4:4:4 12 bit while watching content in 4k@120hz and 8k@60hz. And... Which port is it?🤔😁

Thx for box model info!

Yes it should be more or less the same. If anything, better, maybe able to support 4:4:4 12 bit while watching content in 4k@120hz and 8k@60hz. And... Which port is it?🤔😁

Thx for box model info!
Port? To my knowledge, our 2.1 port is HDMI 1 👍

the e-manual is stating the ARC (HDMI 2.1) port is also eARC compatible but not for all models, no detailed list of compatible models.
I believe other HDMI ports are just 2.0 and can't be used as eARC hub...
On 2020 Q950TS series, eARC has to be enabled.
All of this is more than confusing.

Last edited:
the e-manual is stating the ARC (HDMI 2.1) port is also eARC compatible but not for all models, no detail list of compatible models.
I believe other HDMI ports are just 2.0 and can't be use as eARC hub...
Confusing is an understatement. To make it even more confusing Samsung support has on several occasions talked about other port/ports supporting a "HDMI 2.0b" "standard", which, according to their claims, would make it possible for that (those?) port/ports to support eARC as well, but not gameplay in 8k.

Just wanted to add that to make everybody even more confused. 🤣

the e-manual is stating the ARC (HDMI 2.1) port is also eARC compatible but not for all models, no detail list of compatible models.
I believe other HDMI ports are just 2.0 and can't be use as eARC hub...
IIRC, the 2.1 port is HDMI 1, which - in turn - is not the ARC port...I believe that is HDMI 4 (or is it 3?) that is the ARC port?

This means... that if this TV has only one port that is HDMI v2.1 compliant, the future of 8K gaming on this TV will necessary get through a next generation soundbar allowing 8K and acting like a hub with pass through over the single HDMI ARC (v2.1 supposedly).

Last edited:
IIRC, the 2.1 port is HDMI 1, which - in turn - is not the ARC port...I believe that is HDMI 4 (or is it 3?) that is the ARC port?

My understanding is the 2.1 port is HDMI 1 and the ARC port is HDMI 3 - the latter is clearly marked on my OCB.

The manual is for the Q900RB - is that the U.S. version of our Q950R?

Yes, I think you're right, it is the HDMI 3 port (port 4 was ARC on my previous Q9FN)...

...but I note that the manual does also refer to HDMI port 4 as the one for 8K 60hz etc., therefore 2.1 specification, not Port 1. So, the U.S. OCB is different to ours, or we're acting on the wrong information. The confusion intensifies 🤔😬

The information I provided was for a UK set - model as per my signature. Hope this helps

The information I provided was for a UK set - model as per my signature. Hope this helps
Has anyone on this thread actually got confirmation that our 2.1 port IS HDMI 1? The only info I've ever seen that was semi-official is from reviews of the 950 around its release time (Spring 2019). It does seem odd that the 900RB OCB has its 2.1 port on HDMI 4? 🤔 🤔 🤔

Interestingly, when I've enabled 8K mode on my Denon 4700, I get a message saying (via my connection of HDMI 1) that it is not 8K 60hz compatible??? TBH, I just thought this was a handshake 'glitch' but maybe it's not?

Has anyone on this thread actually got confirmation that our 2.1 port IS HDMI 1? The only info I've ever seen that was semi-official is from reviews of the 950 around its release time (Spring 2019). It does seem odd that the 900RB OCB has its 2.1 port on HDMI 4? 🤔 🤔 🤔

Interestingly, when I've enabled 8K mode on my Denon 4700, I get a message saying (via my connection of HDMI 1) that it is not 8K 60hz compatible??? TBH, I just thought this was a handshake 'glitch' but maybe it's not?
Well, over at the Samsung official forums they have a couple of guys successfully played in 4k@120hz and 8k@60hz on Q900RB, port 4. Here is a quote:

"I can confirm that I was able to successfully play games on my Q900RB in 8K@60 10bit and 4K@120 10bit with my RTX3090 graphics card. I have only tested it on HDMI 4 but will at some point test the other ports 🙂"

Haven't seen anyone try the Q950R yet. Someone should have the possibility I hope?

Check here: - Samsung Q950R 8K QLED TV review

It clearly states: - "The One Connect box is quite large and surprisingly heavy, but it remains a clever idea. The first HDMI input is 2.1 (8K/60p) and the other three use 2.0b."

Again not sure what all the fuss is about

Check here: - Samsung Q950R 8K QLED TV review

It clearly states: - "The One Connect box is quite large and surprisingly heavy, but it remains a clever idea. The first HDMI input is 2.1 (8K/60p) and the other three use 2.0b."

Again not sure what all the fuss is about
Yes I think I've read that one about 20 times. 😂 Still, would be very interesting to see someone actually testing it in 8k@60hz and 4k@120hz just to hear what the impression is. And why is his Denon 4700 denying 8k@60hz?

Yes I think I've read that one about 20 times. 😂 Still, would be very interesting to see someone actually testing it in 8k@60hz and 4k@120hz just to hear what the impression is. And why is his Denon 4700 denying 8k@60hz?
Yeah, I've read that one, amongst a couple of others, but nothing official. However, the above official manual posted by @daibaron (albeit relevant to the Q900RB) specifies HDMI 4 as the port capable of handling 8K/60hz.

So, as said earlier, they either have a different OCB, or we're working on incorrect info.

As you say Stafford, an actual test (as above with the 3090 GPU) of it would settle this - but doubt anyone on the thread can do this (yet)...

hmmm yeah the whole which port is HDMI 2.1 springs up again - i think this is why if eARC is given it would be useful in HDMI 1 or 4 (which ever is the HDMI 2.1 port) and not on 3 unless 3 is actually the HDMI 2.1 port lol

hmmm yeah the whole which port is HDMI 2.1 springs up again - i think this is why if eARC is given it would be useful in HDMI 1 or 4 (which ever is the HDMI 2.1 port) and not on 3 unless 3 is actually the HDMI 2.1 port lol
LOL, yeah...raising its ugly head again...

Nevertheless, another bit of info for those interested - given this debate above, I thought it worth trying/changing the connection to my Denon from the OCB's HDMI port 1 (supposedly v2.1) to HDMI port 4. As previously mentioned, in port 1 I get the message (image attached) that the TV is not configured for 8K/60hz & 4K/120hz, i.e. is not HDMI 2.1 specificaction...

...but when plugged into port 4? You guessed it - no message of incompatibility :cool:

In conclusion, it does appear that it is port 4 that is HDMI v2.1 not HDMI port 1? You live & learn :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 20201013_155923.jpg
    20201013_155923.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 99

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom