Samsung 8K Q950R QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Bratfud Recusant

rozel

Sorry can't help you - I have looked at several retailers but all are out of stock. Got mine from Samsung but they are out also.

leeboo

Novice Member
same here all out of stock had mine 3 weeks now and love it , just wish they update the codec so I could play 8k videos of youtube , just have to wait for the next gen consoles to do it instead that's all

leeboo

Novice Member
and got mine direct from samsung , it's my second set as the first on they delivered would not display a picture so set it back and they delivered this one next day , I am still messing about with the picture setting , and how do I get the screen to stop the backlight going dim in some scenes then bright again in the next screen .

lee

Bratfud Recusant

...how do I get the screen to stop the backlight going dim in some scenes then bright again in the next screen .

lee
Regrettably, you can't - one of the few 'cons' of this screen; it's a "side-effect" of the over-aggressive local dimming algorithm...it can be minimised with a calibration of the sets image, but you'll never actually get rid of it as the local dimming can't be switched off :thumbsdow

rozel

@gadget377 said: - "My only problem is; when watching on any channel the set displays, at the top right hand corner: “the network is connected: OK,” I have to press Ok on the remote and it goes, this announcement appears at least 3 times per evening. Is there away to prevent this via a setting? The set is connected to my router via a lan cable.

May I ask if you ever found a solution to this popup appearing? I get this too, again I'm ethernet connected. Strange message if you ask me and it's very annoying.
Anyone please?

peterve

Anyone please?
It's good that you're ethternet connected because that rules out wifi trouble, I guess. Are there any switches between the TV and the router? It sounds like the TV is loosing connection and than when it reconnects it reports it to the viewer, annoyingly. Did you try to disconnect all your ethernet, restart any switches and the router?

Last edited:

rozel

It's good that you're ethternet connected because that rules out wifi trouble, I guess. Are there any switches between the TV and the router? It sounds like the TV is loosing connection and than when it reconnects it reports it to the viewer, annoyingly. Did you try to disconnect all your ethernet, restart any switches and the router?
Well! Your advice just might have sorted a few issues in out Home Network :thumbsup: I've lost count of the number of times I've reset my router these past few months - my wife's study is fed from a switch near my router and another to connect her devices in there. My HTS is also fed by a 3rd switch. I have never ever thought about resetting the switches! Two of them have reset buttons, I never realised as these switches are tucked away. So I have reset the switches, the router and have unplugged and replugged in the small switch in the study and we will see what happens. My wife has struggled recently with Zoom/Teams and I've checked everything, including all the internet cables and nothing has resolved. Sometimes our PC and laptop don't instantly connect as well as the connectivity issue with my TV. To cap it all, a further switch I gave my son recently failed to give him anything like a decent speed, so he immediately went out to Currys, bought a new one and hey presto he had 60mbps as he should have had. Again I never thought about unplugging and replugging.

OK, a lot of hope now that things will improve, so fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞 but thank you for drawing this to my attention as a possibility - I've ruled just about everything else out bar this - even had a continuity (Lan) tester on all our cables! - I'll keep this post updated

peterve

Happy to hear this, I hope everything works out for you now and that your Internet connection remains stable without any interruption and without annoying messages on your TV. Best regards, Peter

rozel

Hi Peter, yes, so far so good :) Yesterday we didn't see the "connection message" at all and a test "Zoom" meeting went very well indeed albeit the shortcomings this time were at the "other end". We will run more extensive tests next week.

whitehart

Well after recieving this set last week its gone back already - had wierd marks on the top of screen - first and last ever open box TV im buying - Ive managed to source another proper new one,(just waiting on my refund) I have a daft question with the energy rating of this being D, how bad a juice drinker is this TV compared to a A or A+ TV is it enough to notice - my other half shes noticed its a "D" and is worried.

Last edited:

Bratfud Recusant

...I have a daft question with the energy rating of this being D, how bad a juice drinker is this TV compared to a A or A+ TV is it enough to notice - my other half shes noticed its a "D" and is worried.
The biggest drain will, in all likelihood, be when watching HDR material. In SDR mode, the running costs will be fairly average IMHO (depending on the level of the Backlight). Don't have anything more accurate unfortunately...

HTH's? :smashin:

whitehart

The biggest drain will, in all likelihood, be when watching HDR material. In SDR mode, the running costs will be fairly average IMHO (depending on the level of the Backlight). Don't have anything more accurate unfortunately...

HTH's? :smashin:
Thanks for that so really not much of an issue in terms of energy being used, it will be mainly used for gaming/pc and film watching. broadcast TV we hardly watch

Bratfud Recusant

Thanks for that so really not much of an issue in terms of energy being used, it will be mainly used for gaming/pc and film watching. broadcast TV we hardly watch
Again, how much material will be used in HDR? If minimal, then I'd hazard-a-guess that energy use would be just a tad over average for a screen like this, but if you're playing/watching alot of HDR material, that's when the power usage will kick in.

Bit of a older article here, but a worthwhile start to understanding the difference for UHD/HDR screens:- Ultra HD TVs consume 30% more energy on average - HDR feature uses up to 47% more power per movie - Myce.com

Hope it's useful?

rozel

Deleted

Last edited:

peterve

I agree HDR will use more energy than SDR. That said, I have a 65 inch Q800T and I can feel the heat radiating when I hold my hand 40 cm away from the TV. I’ve read somewhere this is the case also with the Q950T although this model’s One Connect Box may help take away some of the heat-production from the screen, I’m not sure. In any case, this year’s Samsung QLED 8K televisions produce a lot of heat and use a relatively large amount of energy.

rozel

@peterve - got the popup again last night - grrrrr. I'll have to Search some more along the cable chain.

@Bratfud Recusant Yes Indeed, I've noticed a significant rise in my electricity consumption (on my smart meter) which I've got to put down to my TV. Watching a lot of HDR stuff with max Backlight - previous TV (65" KS9500) went to max 20 this 75" animal has max 50. So I'll do a few tweaks and see if it alters my viewing experience and cuts down electric.

peterve

@rozel that’s just too bad. I don’t want anyone to stumble over network cables, but would there be a possibility for you to make a direct connection between your router and the TV and let it sit there for a few days? If the pop-up does not come up, that would be another clue that it’s not your TV, assuming for a minute that your router is functioning correctly.

Have you tried disconnecting the network cable and relying solely on Wi-Fi? Is Wi-Fi even turned on, on your TV? I know it happens a lot of times that my iPhone nor my iPad are able to find my television in my network when I try to turn on my Q800T through the SmartThings app.

As for the energy use, I guess it’s not only HDR, but also the lots and lots of processing that is going on in order to upscale 99% of all the content watched on our 8K televisions.

That looks a lovely set up and I don’t know if it’s just your camera but the blacks look awesome.
Thanks mate! Much appreciated the black levels are awesome just as good as OLED. These Samsung TV pictures are so natural too like nothing I have seen from Samsung before.

whitehart

well Ive ordered another one of these from a different source this time - hope the screen isnt all messed up like the open boxed one. Not too worried about energy used so long as it dont double my bill lol. again another decent price considering how much it cost (the 55) even only 6 months ago