1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung 850 or 745? Which one is better?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by indyjones, Sep 9, 2005.

1. indyjones

indyjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was just wondering why the 745 costs more than the 850 (don't higher numbers usually mean better performance?)? Is the Samung 850 a decent Player? I'm going to buy myself a Pana 700 Projector, and I want a HDMI/DVI DVD player that can upscale to 720p. I was going to go with the Denon 1910, but the Samsung is almost half the price. So which one should I buy (if I should buy a Samsung at all)? Thanks a lot!!!

Indy :)

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I found the Samsung 745 output via DVI far too soft for my liking. I suspect it's a Samsung trait and the 850 may be similar.

I recently bought the Oppo from ITSupplies.net. Far clearer pic on a projector, and the panning shots are a lot smoother. You can select a DVI to HDMI lead for free.

Slightly more expensive at just over £170 but very much worth it...PJ :)

3. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    If your after an 850 i have one in the classifieds.

4. indyjones

indyjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, but I'm on the mainland right now.

What do you mean when you say "soft"? I can get the 850 for 135 Euros here, which is pretty damn cheap. I'm going to buy a HD player anyways in a couple of years, so I don't want to make a big investment now.

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    It simply lacked detail. I'm sure it would look fine on a 42" plasma but when you are looking at pics 7ft diagonal you need a player that can pass through the signal with pin sharp clarity.

My Pioneer 575 via component was a much better pic than the Samsung 745 via DVI. The Oppo is ever clearer than the 575, albeit you see more noise on poor DVD transfers. Must stress I haven't seen the 850 in action so I'm not certain it will be the same as the 745.

Like you I'll be investing in HD in a couple of years but the Oppo will more than prove its worth in that timeframe I'm sure.

...PJ :)