Samsung 850 or 745? Which one is better?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by indyjones, Sep 9, 2005.

1. indyjones

indyjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was just wondering why the 745 costs more than the 850 (don't higher numbers usually mean better performance?)? Is the Samung 850 a decent Player? I'm going to buy myself a Pana 700 Projector, and I want a HDMI/DVI DVD player that can upscale to 720p. I was going to go with the Denon 1910, but the Samsung is almost half the price. So which one should I buy (if I should buy a Samsung at all)? Thanks a lot!!!

Indy :)

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I found the Samsung 745 output via DVI far too soft for my liking. I suspect it's a Samsung trait and the 850 may be similar.

I recently bought the Oppo from ITSupplies.net. Far clearer pic on a projector, and the panning shots are a lot smoother. You can select a DVI to HDMI lead for free.

Slightly more expensive at just over £170 but very much worth it...PJ :)

3. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    If your after an 850 i have one in the classifieds.

4. indyjones

indyjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, but I'm on the mainland right now.

What do you mean when you say "soft"? I can get the 850 for 135 Euros here, which is pretty damn cheap. I'm going to buy a HD player anyways in a couple of years, so I don't want to make a big investment now.

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    It simply lacked detail. I'm sure it would look fine on a 42" plasma but when you are looking at pics 7ft diagonal you need a player that can pass through the signal with pin sharp clarity.

My Pioneer 575 via component was a much better pic than the Samsung 745 via DVI. The Oppo is ever clearer than the 575, albeit you see more noise on poor DVD transfers. Must stress I haven't seen the 850 in action so I'm not certain it will be the same as the 745.

Like you I'll be investing in HD in a couple of years but the Oppo will more than prove its worth in that timeframe I'm sure.

...PJ :)