samsung 709---help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by seq2, Oct 18, 2001.

1. seq2

seq2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Message to anyone who may be able to help...ie moderator etc......

yesterday i bought a samsung 709 for £50.....and tried to do the new hack on it to multi reg it but it does not work....ive opened it up and on the firmware chip it says that it was made on 25-6-99 has v3.18 firmware, and is dvd709 xeu.........ive checked out the 709online.com faqs and there were upgrades in dec 1999 (i remember it well, i bought a pioneer 626, which i still have) and every one was going mad to get their samsung upgraded......the last firmversion that i know of that came out was v3.29.......DO YOU THINK I CAN GET MY MACHINE UPGRADED FOR FREE.....it cant be multied and it also wont play the MATRIX.....im ringing samsung today(thur) to tell them about this, and if they dont do anything, watch out at the county court for the 709 test case......due to being unfit for its purpose..........any suggestions.......does it need a chip or a cd upgrade......are there any sites i can burn the new firmware on to a cdr?... ..cheers.

2. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    When I bought my 709 back in 1999, like you, I had trouble playing certain titles including 'the matrix' so when richer sounds(whom I had bought it from) indicated that all players bought from their store would be firmware upgraded for free , I took my player, had it moded and found when I got it home, that it worked a treat.
    If you know where your player was bought, you could give them a buzz and see if they can still upgrade the firmware for free - you might need proof of purchase.
    As for the hack, they do work - in my case, it took several tries before I got mine hacked and to date have no problem playing all regions and rce.
    ;)

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +664
    Take a look at the forum on www.709online.com

There is little that these guys don't know about the 709.

You have a couple of options.

1. Ring Samsung and tell them that you need the firmware for a customer. Make up a company name and tell them that you are qualified... They will sometimes send PROMs out in the post to people, if they believe that they are 'trade'

2. There are a few people on 709online who sell the latest software.. Not for profit, just to cover their costs.

You can get the latest firmware for about £5.

Good luck

4. seq2

seq2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys....its a good idea about claiming im a dealer......i acually repair philips/marantz cd players any way...but not samsungs.......however a mate in the trade is now going to get me the eeprom for me, so hope fully it will be sorted out soon.............
    Ive also hacked it with the aiwa remote and it plays region 1 and records r1 to video via ntsc to pal 50 with macro off absolutely fine.......does anybody know if the new hack with the original sammy remote, and new firmware still allows a region 1 and 2 disc to be recorded with macro off on the 709........i know that the 511 can be multied with new code but i never tried recording with a 511................thanks in advance......