Samsung 55H7005 (H7000) clouding/bleeding problem

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Misham, Jul 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Misham

Misham
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unnamed.jpg Hey guys

I recently bought a new Samsung UE55H7005 (Scandinavian specs, same as H7000) led tv.

I set the picture by following the Picture Perfect instructions and almost everything is more than fine with this tv... EXCEPT for clouding/backlight bleeding which I experience every time the picture is very dark or black (in a darker room, I might add).

I am thinking about returning the tv, but since they have no more on stock, i would have to og for another model (and I love this one). Samsung offered to send over a technician to check it out, but they are trying to put down the problem...

Could you look at this Picture and tell me if I should be complaining? I know it is an edge-lit tv, but still cannot be too happy with this... (note that the room was dark and the backlight was turned up)

Thanks in advance :)

2. aTycho

aTycho
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm waiting for mine, so I hope this is not big problem.

In most reviews they set the backlight to hit a reference light output of (I believe) 120 cd/m^2. In the picture perfect they tell you not to worry too much about the backlight control but adjust it so you have a comfortable picture for day or night viewing. My impression from the review of mid-level TV's they comment on the amount of bleeding in the reference setting. My guess is therefore that you're back-light control is set too high for night-time viewing and the problem should be (almost) gone if you set it to the reference level. Where is that? Well, the black bars on the top and bottom of a letterbox-film should be almost black.

In Trustedreviews.com's review he says:

"Care also needs to be taken with the set’s various processing options (as is the case to some extent, actually, with every TV we test). In particular we’d suggest you only set the dynamic backlight/contrast system to its lowest strength to avoid image instability; that you only use the Motion Plus processing system on either its Custom setting with blur and judder elements set to three or not at all to avoid flickering and ‘haloing’ artefacts; and that you don’t use noise reduction with HD sources.

It's worth adding here that images don't seem to suffer too badly through the UE46H7000 only having a Quad Core processor rather than a Quad Core Plus one.

Further recommendations are that you actually don’t use the Football Mode for football as it doesn’t seem very happy handling motion, and that you activate the set’s Cinema Black feature during ultra-wide films which have black bars above and below them, as this significantly reduces the chance of you being distracted by any light bleed or clouding."

I hope this helps you (and soon me). When you have the solution please post it :)

3. Misham

Misham
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello aTycho, thanks for your reply! :)

You say that my backlight is probably too high for night viewing, but it is at (only?) around 9-10 (out of 20)-do you feel that that is still too high? Should I set it by following your advice, while viewing a letterbox film?

On the same topic, this tv doesn´t seem to have an easy way of switching between night and daytime viewing. I have to enter the many and manually change the parameters each time... or am I missing something here?

When it comes to processing, I have set everything to OFF as Pictureperfect suggests... and of course NO football mode for me :)

4. aTycho

aTycho
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have mine yet (arrives today) but this is what the "almighty" reviewer at TrustedReviews suggests:

"In the UE46H7000’s case, our key recommendations are that you set the backlight to between 12 and 14 and the contrast to 80-83 for TV viewing in a bright room, but reduce backlight to as low as 7-8 for watching films in a dark room."

So I guess that 9-10 may be too high. I want to use the LED Clear function which reduces the light emission so I expect that I will have to turn it up.

Rtings that I think do some of the best testing (although on US models) gave it H7150 fine remarks on black uniformity. They give some background to the various issues here:
    Black Uniformity of 2015 TVs: Clouding and Flashlighting
    Since issues can be created from stress in the assembly you may just have a bad one.

In terms of the photo you probably also have to be careful with the exposure time so that it reflects what you eye actually see. Any LED/LCD tv will have light penetration and edge-lit TV's will have some non-uniformity. This means that if you have a sufficiently long exposure time you'll see some ugly pattern regardless of how good it looks in real life. The photo that rtings have recorded is miles away from the one that you have. It seems that there is something very different in the ways the image were recorded (see http://www.rtings.com/images/reviews/h7150/h7150-uniformity-medium.jpg)

About turning off all functions: the TrustedReviews guy left some of them on "low". Maybe you want to try whether that works for you as well?

5. Misham

Misham
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the instructions, but nothing I do seems to help me get rid of those nasty little "clouds", probably because I am too focused on them now anyway :)
    Did you get your tv? Your impressions?