samsung 5500 smart tv & buffalo nas storage

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by dundeered, Feb 26, 2013.

1. dundeered

dundeered
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: losing the plot. bought a samsung 5500 smart tv thinking i would be able to connect through superhub to buffalo ls-xl94f nas . tv is seeing nas but when clicking on it . am only getting 3 folder options ??? then states no media files found even though there is 90gb on nas.
    someone please help or the tv's getting it..

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,113
    1) Make sure firmware is up to date on the Buffalo NAS & that the folders holding the media are monitored by the DLNA server.

2) A quick Google (may not be accurate) says Buffalo supplied Twonky v4 on their LS-XL 94 NAS, this may be too old as Samsung use a custom version of DLNA and Twonky v6 or v7 is required for the Samsung compatibility profile contained within those versions.

If that is accurate then your up a creek without a paddle, your only solution would be to upgrade to the latest version of Twonky on the NAS. If your lucky Buffalo have updated the version of Twonky in the latest firmware.

You can manually install newer versions of Twonky but the means to do so on Buffalo NAS is complicated and unless you know someone with command line/linux skills it might be beyond your means, builds here, instructions here and unofficial Buffalo forum.

3. dundeered

dundeered
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying . Think I'm stuck up **** creek , bloody raging as thought DNla certified meant compatible. Didn't know about samsungs personnel profiles. There's no way I can update the software myself as no idea about Linux .

4. celsius

celsius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Even the most expensive smart TV has very limited abilities in do the "smart" things.
    Use a media player instead.
    But it means you have to spend (small sum) and need another HDMI input to your TV and another power socket.
    If you can afford these it saves you alot of hassle, now and in future.

5. dundeered

dundeered
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Link a media player to nas ??? Then hdmi to tv

6. celsius

celsius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    yes

7. dundeered

dundeered
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you be kind as to suggest a media player that would be compatible

8. celsius

celsius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Almost all the HD media players available can do the job. e.g. WD.

But I would suggest realtek based media players which are generally cheaper but capable.
    Realtek 1073 - very old, a nd very cheap but adequate to play video files.
    Realtek 1185 - still old, capable of player most 3D files.
    Realtek 1186 - can play almost all 3D files including ISO.

If you do not play 3D, you may be able to pick up a realtek 1073 player for 20-40 quid.

Do not confuse these media players with multimedia players, which are not network capable.

9. dundeered

dundeered
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Struggling to find a Realtek player that costs under s hundred. Found a western digital tv live streaming media player on Btshop.com .. Would that do the trick ?? Really appreciate your help

10. celsius

celsius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I find it difficult to understand why it is so difficult to get an realtek based HD media player in UK, or so much more expensive. If you do not mind getting one from China/Hong Kong you can get a 1186 based player for under £60.

WD TV Live Stream Media Player is a safe option and available from many shops in UK. You can get one for a little more than £70 if you shop around.

The only gripe about it, being sigma chip based, is that it does not support rmvb video, and 3D support is not as good as realtek 1186 chips.

11. celsius

celsius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Note:
    These sigma/rt1186 based media players have been out for a long time with no significant upgrades in recent year or 2. I suppose there is really not much improvement needed in this area. I have been using an rt1186 palyer for almost 2 years and I do not see the need for a newer player.
    Many new 3D BD players have the same (almost) media player built in that is capable of playing (streaming) most videos over network, and with many other new features.
    As always, newer means cheaper and more capable.

If you are in for a 3D BD player as well as wanting to play video over network, you will do worse than looking at this option. One can be had for not much more than £100.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  12. dundeered

dundeered
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help. Bought the ad live media player so will try that out when I get in. I've really no interest in 3d films, think quality is poor , can't stand the glasses, and get a headache wTching 3d ..