Samsung 55" TU8000 Simplest Audio Set-up?

MrSquifler

Hey, I'm thinking of finally upgrading to a 4K TV but cables and connections drive me crazy. What's the simplest way of using this TV to hook up my Xbox, PlayStation and BD player to a sound system? I was thinking of buying the Sony HT-S20R. Could I plug all my devices into the TVs HDMI and just use the optical audio output? Would the be easiest method?

Dodgexander

If you buy a TV and soundbar supporting eARC you can plug devices into the TV using HDMI and have a single HDMI going to the soundbar transporting all the audio.

Just beware of codec support. Samsung, LG and Panasonic TVs do not support relaying DTS audio. Not an issue really for games, but if you want to use Blu-Rays some of them use DTS audio.

MrSquifler

If you buy a TV and soundbar supporting eARC you can plug devices into the TV using HDMI and have a single HDMI going to the soundbar transporting all the audio.

Just beware of codec support. Samsung, LG and Panasonic TVs do not support relaying DTS audio. Not an issue really for games, but if you want to use Blu-Rays some of them use DTS audio.
The TV has 1x eARC input and the soundbar has 1x ARC output.

Would that work? Seems backwards to me, surely the subwoofer should have the input and the TV the output.

But could I do the same method using the optical audio?

Dodgexander

It will work, just won't with HD audio since the soundbar only has standard ARC and not eARC.
For consoles its a big issue since they tend to use HD audio, it can depend on the game, with some older games still offering a Dolby Digital soundtrack though.

Luckily most films on disc have a separate standard Dolby Digital soundtrack, so you'll have to switch to that when using a disc with Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos. If you come accross a disc with DTS you will not get audio at all unless you set your player to stereo or the disc happens to have a Dolby Digital soundtrack to switch too.

You can bypass this by connecting devices via your soundbar.

All in all, you're best searching for a soundbar that also uses eARC to match the TV. Then you won't have to worry about secondary soundtracks or HD audio not working.

MrSquifler

It will work, just won't with HD audio since the soundbar only has standard ARC and not eARC.
For consoles its a big issue since they tend to use HD audio, it can depend on the game, with some older games still offering a Dolby Digital soundtrack though.

Luckily most films on disc have a separate standard Dolby Digital soundtrack, so you'll have to switch to that when using a disc with Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos. If you come accross a disc with DTS you will not get audio at all unless you set your player to stereo or the disc happens to have a Dolby Digital soundtrack to switch too.

You can bypass this by connecting devices via your soundbar.

All in all, you're best searching for a soundbar that also uses eARC to match the TV. Then you won't have to worry about secondary soundtracks or HD audio not working.
Thanks for the info, this is all such a pain in the arse.

Would there be any issues from just using the optical audio?

Dodgexander

Would there be any issues from just using the optical audio?
Yes, the same issues as using HDMI ARC. You'd need eARC at both ends to not have any issues really, plus you'd need a TV that supports DTS audio also.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom