Samsung 55” Q70A for £636 or pay more for Sony?

pompeydean

Hi all, hoping for some help

I’ve been trawling the threads trying to decide on a 55” tv to replace one that my toddler just broke (painful subject), and still need a bit of advice.

It’s for a dining room and not my main TV so not really worried about OLED. Just used for kids / wife to watch when they’re in the kitchen and some sport when friends are over.
I can get a bit of extra discount on Samsung through work, so am leaning towards them from a cost perspective, but open to suggestions.

Options I think are suitable:

Samsung 55” Q70A - £679
Samsung 55” Q75A - £636
Samsung 55” Q80A - £639
Sony Bravia 55” X89J - £899

Question is, should I buy one of the Samsung’s as I can get a bit more discount on them, or is there a better option that may cost a touch more?

Thanks

Dodgexander

The Sony Samsung equivalency of lineups looks like this:

Q70A/Q75A (same TVs) - Sony X85J/X89J (same TVs)
Samsung Q80A - Sony X90J

So you can see for you Samsung is definitely better value.

Beware that these TVs use VA type panels, so viewing angles will be narrow, that may not suit a kitchen TV if the TV is going to be viewed at a variety of angles.

pompeydean

The Sony Samsung equivalency of lineups looks like this:

Q70A/Q75A (same TVs) - Sony X85J/X89J (same TVs)
Samsung Q80A - Sony X90J

So you can see for you Samsung is definitely better value.

Beware that these TVs use VA type panels, so viewing angles will be narrow, that may not suit a kitchen TV if the TV is going to be viewed at a variety of angles.
That equivalency lineup is really useful, thanks.
So looks like the Q80A at £639 is the best value of all - plus I read that this is an IPS panel as well, is that info wrong?

Is there another option in this price range that offers a wider viewing angle?

Thanks

Dodgexander

Yes, provided you don't need wide viewing angles.
Q80A in Europe is using a VA panel, not IPS like in the Americas.

Wider viewing angle TVs in the same price range offer worse picture quality in other areas such as blacks, contrast and screen uniformity. You should decide on the type of panel you want on the TV before comparing VA TVs to IPS, and its only really until you reach OLED level prices that you are able to get both good viewing angles and good picture quality in one package.

pompeydean

Yes, provided you don't need wide viewing angles.
Q80A in Europe is using a VA panel, not IPS like in the Americas.

Wider viewing angle TVs in the same price range offer worse picture quality in other areas such as blacks, contrast and screen uniformity. You should decide on the type of panel you want on the TV before comparing VA TVs to IPS, and its only really until you reach OLED level prices that you are able to get both good viewing angles and good picture quality in one package.
That’s really useful thanks. With the few occasions I’ll need a wider viewing angle, I think I’m better off with VA for the majority of its use.
Q80A looks like the right choice.

Appreciate the help 👍🏻

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom