1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung 50" - UK and US versions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Neelix, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading the problems with the Optoma and NTSC playback I have now pretty much discounted them as an option even though they are great performers and the 65" screen :cool: Soooo, it would seem that perhaps the next in line are the Samsung 50". Having looked at the Samsung UK site and Samsung US I can see they have a lot more models which is to be expected :rolleyes: What I want to know is if the following two models are exactly the same, just different model number?

US Samsung 50" - HL-P5085W

UK Samsung 50" - SP50L7HX

They look identical but the spec sheets are not easy to compare on both sites and they don't mention which chip is being used, HD2+ I presume? I would ideally love the 56" version but that doesn't look like it will apear here any time soon. So what do you guys reckon, are they the same model? Aesthetics aside, is this the best DLP currently available for PQ and HDTV compliance in the future?

Edited to ask what is to stop me importing a US tv? Are these DLP sets not PAL and NTSC compatible and 50/60hertz variable. Obviously the voltage would need to be stepped down but that's easily done. Am I missing something? :confused:

2. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the SP50L7HX in Currys today running through an RGB Scart DVD player. It looked very impresive indeed with good black levels and shadow detail, certainly better then the LCD RPTVs I have seen. The SD feed through normal RF aerial wasn't very good. Obviously it is about as bad a signal that you can get but it certainly looks worse on a big screen DLP than a 36" CRT tv. That said, I don't plan on using a poor analog signal and I think we are all looking forward to HD sky :) I would have liked to have seen an HD feed like the Axium but I have no doubt the Samsung will look every bit as good if not better.

I also had a look at the info on the back of the pedestal and it said it was 50/60hertz and 100/240v compatible. This leads me to believe that the US version should function over here no problems at all :thumbsup: I am going to look into the cost of shipping one over (tax and shiping costs) as it may work out a fair bit cheaper and also allow me to get the 56" model ;)

3. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Don't forget - no scarts on the US model. Also no widescreen switching as a consequence. Also bear in mind that the built-in tuner may not support PAL (if that bothers you).

4. himpressive

himpressive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Can't these "problems" no scart and widescreen switching be rectified using a gizmo like iscan or lumagen scalers? :)

5. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Of course, but you've just added a grand to the price. Plus you will need to add a widescreen-switching gizmo (see the sticky in the plasma section) to tell the scaler when to switch between 4:3 and 16:9, if I understand their operation correctly in this regard.

6. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not to mention all warranty problems if something happened here, no one would even care about taking this TV when it's from the U.S