1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung 46" v 50"

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Shooter1, May 4, 2005.

1. Shooter1

Shooter1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    After reading all the great threads on this forum, I think i'm gonna go for a sammy, but cant really make up my mind on which one.

I also want to buy the Denon all in one HC package for about £400, but I cant see the better half being too impressed with spending the best part of 2.5k on a tv and HC package. (she had just aboout agreed to me spending £2k on the Tosh 46" & Denon, but I'm not going for the Tosh after reading the reviews on here))

What is the sound like on the 46" & 50"? Is it as good a quality as the picture or do I need to invest in a HC package as well?

What other advantages,apart from 4" & asthetics does the 50" offer over the 46"?

All responses welcomed

2. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Go demo them both mate dont make a blind buy. Every person is different you may like the pic of make x better than make z its all down to personal choice. And demoing is a must before you drop big wonag on a tv.

3. JZEE

JZEE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I can speak for the 46" and as far as I'm concerned, the sound it has is more than enough. Someone earlier said on this forum that his SP50's sound was a bit weak but in my case, it is pretty good for HT use. I would really just get the TV for now and then upgrade to an HC system later (if you need to i.e.).

As for differences between the two, the 46 comes with the HD3 chip that is supposed to display a smoother and softer image whilst the SP50L7HX uses the HD2+ chip that is sharper due to a higher contrast ratio. The 50" also has a pedestal so you have to consider them from an aesthetic point of view as well.

Try to have a look at both of them ideally side - by - side and take it from there.

4. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,275
    Ditto, although atm I have a nice Speaker System but only a crappy tv. Not enough room for a big telly where i'm living :(

A tv of the size that your getting deserves to have a decent speaker setup to accompany it.

Have only heard the Samsung at lowish volume (in stores) but it will be pulversised by even a modest HC speaker system.

5. RekalinSimms

RekalinSimms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd go with the 46" which won't be as sharp in contrast, but that's just my opinion.

6. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

Id definitely demo both sets, i went for the 50 and only have mass praise for it, looks better to in my opinion. Take a bundle of dvds to a store and get them to hook up a player. I spent arond an hour demoing both sets before deciding. The sound on the 50 isnt brill (better than my 43 crt rp) but its by no means bad just a bit weak on the bass. An HC set up is def better. :smashin:

7. Shooter1

Shooter1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming.
    I'm torn between going for the 46" and a good HC setup or just the 50"!!

8. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,275
    If it were me i'd go for the biggest screen I could afford and get the HC setup later (assuming later is months rather than years ;).

My new tv will hopefully last me a good few years before I decide on upgrading again so i'll want to get the best one I can.

My HC setup has been fine tuned over the years (better front, centre speakers) Sub, etc etc and you can always drip feed funds towards it as time goes by.

9. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wait for the Sammy 56'', that'll blow your socks off ........ :D

10. Shooter1

Shooter1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Malso, it does sound awesome, but out of my price range :(

11. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    get the sp50, ur right i cant see the 56" being sold fo rless than 3000 when it first comes out, then u will have to wait another few months for the price to drop, then we will all be saying wait 2 months more for the new samsung xxx60xxx as its new technology etc etc. u will be an old man before u finally get ur tv. u wait to long u may miss out on a good deal :)

12. JZEE

JZEE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I agree with Indie - actually someone like Malso impresses me because I personally don't have the patience to wait for something forever. On the other hand, you do not want to wait for new technology to come out because there will always be something else that is newer on the horizon. Did you know for example that the DMD that will follow the xHD3 (HD4?) will boast a 10000:1 contrast ratio? What are you going to do wait for that as well?? And it goes on and on and ......

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Im waitng for 3D DLP. ;)

Seriously though you could always be waiting for the next technology. Where do you stop waiting and start enjoying. :)

14. Shooter1

Shooter1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Anyway, to get back on track :D :D Are there any Sammy owners out there who have these TV's but no HC set up.

If they do, what is the sound quality like?

15. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Your never going to get the desired effect of a HC with the dedicated TV speakers. If my memory serves me right a few people have mentioned that the samsung 50' set's speakers lacked bass and a external sub is needed to ballance this out. I would say buy the set and ugrade your spreakers in a month or so, after all the sound plays a massive part in the total HC effect and enjoyment.

Years ago I did it the other way round, I bought £1200 speakers and a £600 reciever and hooked it up to my 21' Tv in my bedroom. Within 3 weeks I had a 46' rear pro.... lol. It just looked all wrong big sounds and a tiny pic.

Good luck, you cant put a price on quality. I am sure you can get a 0% finance deal somewhere. :thumbsup:

16. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,275
    Me too, got meself £1500 worth of AE speakers and a Yammy Amp a few years back to accompany my 29" Sony CRT.

Unfortunately, I still have the same bloody TV!!! Arghhhhhhhh! :(

Not got bloody room no I need to move home to get a new tv.

Buying is out of the question and to rent a decent size place costs sh*tloads too so it's either buy a smallish LCD (<32") or carry on looking for a new home :mad:

17. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

That post made me laugh. :D

Is it the width or depth of the set which you cant accomodate. DLP sets are very shallow, far less than a 29' crt tv.

18. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,275
    I'm aware that the tv would sit further back than my monolith that is my Sony CRT. I'm currently sitting only 6ft away from the tv (room size is pretty small and obviously not designed form Hone Cinema purposes! (don't even get me started on why they put the stairs where they did :suicide: ).

Assuming I had a DPL/LCD the viewing distance would increase to 7ft. That's just too close (imo) not to mention my room would look stupid with a tv that size :)

It's bloody frustrating as I have the funds for a new tv but it just aint gonna happen in my current place.

I ain't/can't afford/wouldn't get 150K to buy a house with a room/lounge that's a decent size (say 20ft x 12ft) nor am I willing to pay £800 odd a month to rent somewhere (in a reasonable area - so my tv won't be walking out the door when i'm at work ;) ) with a decent size lounge.... :(

19. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

You could always try the sagem 45. If that is too big I did read somewhere that they will be a 40' DLP set released soon.

20. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,275
    I've seen the Sagum in comet and nice it looks indeed. However, it can't match the looks at the Samsung which (imo) is pretty much the best looking tv (be it DLP, Plasma, LCD) on the market.

First time I saw it I though WOW!!!! I want it :)

I'm still looking for a more suitable place to rent (i'll find somewhere one day) and by that time I guess most DLP's, LCD's will be 1920x1080 :D

One more quick question i'm sure you'll know given how much time your on these forums ;)

When HD-DVD/BR comes out, what resolution will the films be, 1080 (i or p) or 720p or both????

21. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

The samsung is a lovely looking and performing set, get looking for a new place asap. :D What are the dimensions of your lounge?

HD material will be availible in both 1080i and 720p. I think the 720p will be the more popular of the two as more displays will be 1280x720 rather than 1920x1080.

I personally cant wait for the HD revolution to kick in, thats when these HD DLP sets really come to life. I cant wait to see 25-50 gig versions of my favourite movies. I have some HD material at the moment but movies are typically 7-8 gig. No where near HD 's full potential.

:thumbsup:

22. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,275
    Don't worry i'm looking :)

Property Rental guide every Monday, Rightmove website nearly every day :)

Lounge Dimension atm are about 13x11ft but there are issues such as the stairs which **** things up.

Remember i've got 4 large AE speakers to accomodate so idealy i'd like a 20ft long lounge so I can sit a good 10-12 ft away from my tv and not have my rear speakers right next to my ears either!

I'm hoping that by the time HD/BR players do start appearing (4th quarter) not sure here though... i'll be all sorted.

Only experience of HD (besides viewing some material on my 18" TFT monitor) was with a sat feed on a Pioneer 43" Plasma which was breathtaking. Made DVD look pretty ordinary....

Have an open mind about LCD/Plasma/DLP and have not decided but have started looking round the DLP forum's of late (mainly due to the fact that i've fallen for the Sammy big time :D ).

Ok there not flat like LCD's Plasma's but they sure do look good....the prices are good.....screen sizes are nice and large.....

My only gripe about the Samsung is placing of the centre speaker. I don't know if i'd want to go to the trouble of wall mounting and there's nowhere on the tv that mine can sit.........it's not small and weighs several kilo's.

I'll carry on viewing the threads and looking at all the pictures to see how other posters get round this...

23. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Rightmove and Find a property are my 2 fav property sites. The room size doesn't look to bad but it all how its laid out, you say the stairs are in the way. Shame

I think you find that the pic from a DLP set is better than that of a Plasma. Better blacks (IMO) and no screen burn.

Centre speaker can be mounted standing under the screen in an upright position. Indy has a pic of this if you need to see it, I am sure he has posted one or would if asked. (Indy :hiya: )

HD will blow you away especilly if you have never seen it. The true tests of these sets will be in a year or so time when we are used to HD, only then can we really judge all these displays. You also have to factor in the quality of the HD source as this can vary considerably.

:thumbsup:

24. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    here it is :)

Attached Files:

25. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,275
    Thanks Indy.

Looks pretty good. Does it bother you at all when listening with the centre not being positioned exactly in the middle?

26. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    lol no, as long as the speaker is aroudn the middle it will sound as if its coming exactly from themiddle of the screen. ur ears will not tell the difference. also the screen is so wide its still in the middle !!! if u know what i mean. :D

27. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,275

LOL :D :D Yep, gotcha :)

28. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Looks like its problem solved. I hope so anyway. :)

I wish I had an AV shop, I could sell this stuff all day long as well as play around with it. :D

29. nick.stratta

nick.stratta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gents,

Hi new here! Just redecorated the living room and the better half has requested a new TV. Being a a bit wary of the movement problems on plasmas and having seem some that were about £6000 2 yeas ago and being less impressed than I should have been my search led me onto LCD TVs and the What HiFi and What Plasma magazines, which had a review of the Themescene RD50 which opened my eyes [big telly for little tell money?] and an internet search of the RD50 led me in a roundabout way here!

After spending about 5 hours reading the board and registering it seems the Samsung 50" DLP has come down from £3500 to sub £2000 [£1982 at empireditrect actually] and seems to be getting universal acclaim.

However what about the 46" Samsung? It's physically a lot smaller - 109cm wide instead of 139cm - but doesn't look as 'in your face' but only about 10% cheaper and in stock in a fair few places [electricdiscount seems the cheapest].

Which TV would you all go for?

Aditionally, what are these other Samsung 46" TVs I've seem - the SP42W4HX for £900, the SP42Q2HLX for £750 and the SP42Q2HL for £636? These are less than half of the others - abotu £1000 cheaper, so are they different types of TVs and do they have differnt picture qualities? I've noted that they all seem 50cm - 57cm deep so I think they may be.

All advice welcome here please!!! :lease:

Best egards
    Nick

30. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Welcome to the forums nick.

I woud personally steer clear of the RD50 as it cant take a 60hz picture (region 1 dvd's/NTSC) without judder.
    I would personaly go for a 50 samsung if I had to choose a good 50' DLP set.

The other models you mention arent DLP technology and will be inferior in picture quality and wont be High Def ready.

What ever you go for demo the set hard with a number of dvd's both good quality and bad so you can see the set at its best and worst. Some people can accept a poor feed on a large screen. Also look into the rainbow effect are you one of those people that cant view DLP technology becuse of seeing rainbows. If you dont see them then dont worry.

Good luck mate, I hope you find what you are loking for. :thumbsup: