SAMSUNG 43" AU9000 Crystal UHD 4K HDR Smart TV (UE43AU9000KXXU) Review!

shaynzka

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Here is my review of the AU9000 43" variant!

Summary

Pros
  • VA Panel // Semi Gloss (not full gloss)
  • 4K 60Hz with HDR + FreeSync
  • 1080p 120Hz + FreeSync
  • 1440p 60Hz (manual resolution aka override on Xbox video output)
  • ALLM
  • Insane Low Input Lag Sub-10ms (bye bye gaming monitors)
  • Super Ultra Wide Aspect Ratios 21:9/32:9 // 2560x1080 // 3840x1600 // 3840x1080
  • Game Bar // FPS Counter // HDR // FreeSync // Aspect Ratio // Screen Position for Ultra Wide Aspect Ratios
  • Smart Remote with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, SAMSUNG Bixby
  • Ambient Mode
  • Tizen 6.0

Cons
  • 10bit (8bit = FRC)
  • ~350 Nits
  • Dolby Vision
  • Dolby Vision IQ
  • Average Speakers
  • Standard Remote Control Poor Quality
  • Motion Xcelerator Turbo
  • No HDMI 2.1
SAMSUNG were promising support for 4K@120Hz on AU8000 and AU9000 via Motion Xcelerator Turbo. I've checked the UI and used the Xbox Series S|X and couldn't get 4K 120Hz working with any HDMI 2.1 cable. AU9000 doesn't support HDMI 2.1

Available in white variant at 43" and 50" so far!

Thank you, I like your review, I am also looking for a good gaming TV atm and I consider AU9000 or AU8000. What bothers me is the tv stand, it does not look that nice especially combined with a soundbar. AU8000 looks better, but it's only 60Hz at 1080p unfortunately. I'm wondering if I would use 120hz anyway, because 1080p does not look nice even at 27", I prefer WQHD for everything above 24". While from your clip (Rogue Company), the picture looks good at 1080p, but from my point of view it's hard to tell really.

Maybe is your 43" version
for example, the 32" the frame 2020 have some spec cuts.. so this can be your case

The only way tov erify this is test a bigger variant

Thank you, I like your review, I am also looking for a good gaming TV atm and I consider AU9000 or AU8000. What bothers me is the tv stand, it does not look that nice especially combined with a soundbar. AU8000 looks better, but it's only 60Hz at 1080p unfortunately. I'm wondering if I would use 120hz anyway, because 1080p does not look nice even at 27", I prefer WQHD for everything above 24". While from your clip (Rogue Company), the picture looks good at 1080p, but from my point of view it's hard to tell really.
Stand doesn't look nice which is the case with most SAMSUNG 4K TV.

If you going to use next gen games console then 120Hz would be better. Also a TV that has 120Hz panel over 60Hz panel, the motion handling will be better.

When it comes to monitor its different. When viewing 1080p content on 4K monitor you will see a lot of loss details in pixels as you will be sat close. With TV 1080p on 4K will look better than a monitor. I've tried Gears 5 and Fortnite at 1080p and looks fine.

Stand doesn't look nice which is the case with most SAMSUNG 4K TV.

If you going to use next gen games console then 120Hz would be better. Also a TV that has 120Hz panel over 60Hz panel, the motion handling will be better.

When it comes to monitor its different. When viewing 1080p content on 4K monitor you will see a lot of loss details in pixels as you will be sat close. With TV 1080p on 4K will look better than a monitor. I've tried Gears 5 and Fortnite at 1080p and looks fine.
yes I got a PS5 already. But that stand still bothers me, is it possible to remove the front plate? If so, can you provide an image without that plate? I would appreciate it.

yes I got a PS5 already. But that stand still bothers me, is it possible to remove the front plate? If so, can you provide an image without that plate? I would appreciate it.
You can use it without the long middle stand 👍

thank you shay. I consider putting my soundbar onto the front plate, can you say the height of the plate? it's like 1cm?

it's roughly 1.6cm in height the front plate of the stand. However you can use it without front plate but the legs will look naked (with those tiny plastic clips for the front part of the stand).

thank you. Oh well that would be too high for my soundbar unfortunately. Yeah I just saw it on another video, the naked legs don't look good either.

I don't like the design of any stand on SAMSUNG TV. This is something SAMSUNG need to improve on. SONY, LG and Philips have better stand design.

Had the TV for a little while impressed with the picture quality and OS ( first time with Tizen ) does need tweaking to get the best out of it .

Few dark scene problems when using HDR content and Filmaker mode - no problems with the Normal picture mode with same settings.

New TV model guess it needs a few firmware updates to sort out .

Just picked up a Xbox Series X and generally happy with this TV , But HDR does need tweaking individually for games and there is a HDR calibration app on the console. Once this is done games like Red Dead 2 and Forza Horizon 4 look stunning. If you dont setup the HDR the game either looks washed out or dull.

Did have issues with the Iplayer APP on the TV crashing on launch occasionally and notice it has not been updated for a while.

Interesting about the HDR app making it look stunning. I guess the contrast of the VA panel compensate for the lower brightness levels of 350 nits, at least I hope it does. My main concern is how this tv will look on ps4, I don't want to be seeing a messy image like blurring and screen tearing.

Is 1080p the only resolution that this TV will give a true 120hz output? Would it accept 1440p with 4:2:0/2?

I'm also curious to know about whether a soundbar is worth pairing. I read there's a specific samsung soundbar that you need in order to utilise the sync capabilties. Otherwise it's a hassle to use multipe remotes to control the volume output. Does anyone have any insight into this?. And also whether soundbars are worth it in general and if a subwoofer is required for good bass or if the bass is sufficient without it. Some people even argue that they're fine with just the tv speakers. From experience, I don't mind tv speakers, they sound ok to me and I'm a gamer.

Is 1080p the only resolution that this TV will give a true 120hz output? Would it accept 1440p with 4:2:0/2?

Not sure about the latter but ye 120hz can only be ran through a 1080p signal which is featured on the PS5 and both Xbox platforms. Freesync mitigates this I think but it only features HDMI Freesync 2.0 which both the Xbox Series S and X have. It's frustrating that Sony doesn't include 2.0 capability. Only the PS5 has freesync over HDMI 2.1 which this tv does not have. But taking that aside, it's a feature packed tv and at least there's the capability for freesync if we ever decided to own an Xbox which I'm encouraged by considering I have this tv.

Btw a heads up for anyone wanting the AU9000, I got mine price matched for the great price of £458 which is fantastic considering it's a feature rich 4k tv. Here's what you need to do:

Buy it from Richer Sounds (includes 6 year warranty, best service alongside John Lewis). Then email [email protected] to request a price match with Costco who are offering an £80 reduction on the tv. Richer sounds will price beat it, coming down to £458 in total. They asked me for evidence of being a Costco member but all you have to do is sign up to the basic Costco membership £15, take a screenshot of ur membership number then your good to go.

It's only 15 pound for that membership then you'd get £80 off the AU9000, so its worth it because you're still getting the tv for less. John Lewis won't price match it due to their stringent policy regarding online only businesses and discounts.

Here's the costco offer that I price beat from Richer, hope this helps :):

Btw a heads up for anyone wanting the AU9000, I got mine price matched for the great price of £458 which is fantastic considering it's a feature rich 4k tv.

That's very handy. Will be doing this if Amazon don't come up with anything better next week! Thanks.

Interesting about the HDR app making it look stunning. I guess the contrast of the VA panel compensate for the lower brightness levels of 350 nits, at least I hope it does. My main concern is how this tv will look on ps4, I don't want to be seeing a messy image like blurring and screen tearing.
Games on PS4 will look fine on 4K TV. I play games like Fortnite, Gears 5 etc at 1080p 120Hz.

Games on PS4 will look fine on 4K TV. I play games like Fortnite, Gears 5 etc at 1080p 120Hz
Played a few games so far, the picture quality is nice but the tv doesn't feel as bright as it should be. It may be fine for some but games lack that punch due to the really limited 350 nits. Been playing Assassins creed valhalla and i wish it was so much brighter because the colours and contrast is beautiful, it's just held back by how dim everythin looks which is frustrating. I've had worse samsung tvs but they were much brighter despite their lack of features.

Played a few games so far, the picture quality is nice but the tv doesn't feel as bright as it should be. It may be fine for some but games lack that punch due to the really limited 350 nits. Been playing Assassins creed valhalla and i wish it was so much brighter because the colours and contrast is beautiful, it's just held back by how dim everythin looks which is frustrating. I've had worse samsung tvs but they were much brighter despite their lack of features.
Have you tried out my calibration? You can make it brighter compared to the default settings.

Would the Q80A be substantially better than the AU9000?

Get the 55"+ anything below 55" has 60Hz panel.

Q80A
4K 120Hz + HDR
1440p 120Hz
1080p 120Hz
Input lag using Game Mode is literally under 6ms for all modes and resolution.
FreeSync
IPS Panel
Auto Low Latency Mode
Game Bar
HDR Peak Brightness around 900 nits (way brighter than AU9000). Good for HDR!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom