Samsung 42F5000 or LG 42LN540V?

Ossie77

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Can anyone advise me on the strengths and weaknesses of these two sets?

I am pretty sure that they are both back lit but not sure whether or not the LG has an IPS panel.

The F5000 replaces the much acclaimed EH5000 so at the moment it is in front by a nose. I can't find any reviews about the LG at all. The F5000 has also had a few favourable reviews from Amazon customers.

If only Currys fed freeview channels through its display models the decision would be a lot easier to make!

If anyone has either of these two TV's could you let me know how they perform in SD/HD and sports? How are the blacks? Blu rays? Judder etc...?

Design wise the LG is easier on the eye and has a slightly smaller overall footprint.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

ps. for any avforums regulars who are wondering why the hell I am still looking for a TV when I had the 39E6 I took it back because its was too small and cant afford the 42"!

I took the plunge and picked up the F5000 yesterday. So far it has completely blown me away. SD is much better than the EH5000 as is HD. Its back lit so black levels are superb. Also screen is semi matte. Watching movies is far better than on the es5500. Gaming is a pleasure. Input lag is ridiculously low. The design is sooooo 2013. The es5500 transparent trim nonsense already looks hugely outdated. There is a little lip just to the left of the bottom right corner which has an led which glows red every time you enter something into remote. Its like the TV equivalent of 'KIT' from Knightrider! Do i sound excited? Well...I am!!! Its only taken me 5 bloody months find the right TV!

Got problems with the F5000! Intermittent horizontal banding top and bottom of screen and also an occasional blank screen when I exit the tv guide back to channel I was watching!:(

Thought I would post some pics of my soon to be returned Samsung F5000. It only lasted 3 days!

Attachments

• Taunton Deane-20130506-00261.jpg
    Taunton Deane-20130506-00261.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 5,841
  • Taunton Deane-20130506-00273.jpg
    Taunton Deane-20130506-00273.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 8,926
  • Taunton Deane-20130505-00251.jpg
    Taunton Deane-20130505-00251.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 3,563
That's a shame, was interested to hear that this is back-lit instead of edge-lit? I guess the blacks were pretty good, but can you confirm no uniformity issues or clouding/bleeding in dark scenes in a dark viewing environment?

That's a shame, was interested to hear that this is back-lit instead of edge-lit? I guess the blacks were pretty good, but can you confirm no uniformity issues or clouding/bleeding in dark scenes in a dark viewing environment?

Blacks are very good. I am assuming it is back lit due to depth of TV. There is a large area on the left of the screen which has clouding when dark.
My decision now is whether or not to get a new F5000. I am looking at the LG LN540v and panasonic E6 as alternatives.

Hi,

I'm about to return a UE40EH5000 (buzzing whilst watching HD sources) and was looking at the F5000 or LN540v. I guess you have just been very unlucky with a duff set. Otherwise you sounded very positive about it!

The picture quality is very good but I have huge reservations about trying another Samsung.

Should of got a es5500 ossie. One of the best 2012 screens for gaming on. also 16ms input lag...

Should of got a es5500 ossie. One of the best 2012 screens for gaming on. also 16ms input lag...

Haha! You might be right. 40" isn't quite big enough though and gaming isn't high on my list of priorities.
I have just been to Currys and they are happy to exchange the F5000. Its now a choice between the Panasonic 42E6B (ÂŁ599) or the Panasonic X60B(ÂŁ349) which is plasma.

The E6 is obviously full HD but the X60 HD ready.

Not bothered about smart really just picture quality. The question is whether an entry level plasma is better than a mid-range LED!

To the Samsung F 5000 owners

Is there much glare / reflection from the screen ?

Why not try another samsung but explain to them if you have anymore problems you want to swap it for the Panasonic e6

Why not try another samsung but explain to them if you have anymore problems you want to swap it for the Panasonic e6

I swapped for the E6 yesterday. ÂŁ599!!! So far its really impressed me.
I have it connected to a BT vision box with loads of recorded films on it which I also played on the F5000. The E6 does a much better job of upscaling these films. Also DVD's played through my 1st gen Xbox are better too. There is far more detail in the picture and black levels are also very good as are skin tones. The F5000 maybe had a sharper HD image but the E6 is more balanced and colours are better which, for me, makes it more enjoyable to watch.
Build quality is much better too. While the F5000 was a good TV the E6 is definitely more versatile. But then it is more expensive!
Gaming was much, much better on the F5000 though.
ps. The F5000 had a warmer picture than the E6. The Panasonic has a cleaner picture. This is very unusual as normally its the other way round with Panasonic and Samsung!

Last edited:
Update. Xboxing on true cinema mode and lag is vastly improved! :clap:

whats the motion like on the e6 when playing fps games online

Same as any other led tv I'd say not perfect by a long shot

Just received my F5000 and im very pleased with it! Ive come from having a LG LM620T! I didnt want any gimmicky 3D or smart features, thats what my PS3 is for :) Lovely HD picture on the F5000, almost plasma-esque blacks which was a big suprise. 100hz deals with slow to medium speed motion excellently and because its not silly processing doing it theres no soap opera effect like on the LG. It does have LED dimming to help with motion also. I much prefer the backlit screen as the edge lit LG has cloudy patches on the edges. I can see a previous poster had a problem after a couple of days so i will update in a week or so with anything i notice, good and bad. First impressions though, its a fantastic looking 'cheap' tv :)

Also want to add that when i switched the f5000 into game mode it had no trouble handling a bit of COD. No lag that i could notice and the motion was great (dont forget cod runs at 60fps so it should look smooth on most tvs) havnt had time to test on another game. But as a gamer im very impressed with my f5000 :)

Also want to add that when i switched the f5000 into game mode it had no trouble handling a bit of COD. No lag that i could notice and the motion was great (dont forget cod runs at 60fps so it should look smooth on most tvs) havnt had time to test on another game. But as a gamer im very impressed with my f5000 :)

Try FIFA 13, kick a white ball about and if it don't have any white trail when the ball is lofted into the air then your TV panel is good :D

Ages back I got a LG 3D TV had issues with gaming :(
Had trails on the football, playing certain games had issues.

had my heart set on buying a 32" samsung f5000, having purchased and liked a couple of samsung tvs in the recent past.

but the store (richer sounds) people all said that it couldn't handle fast motion very well, so it could struggle whilst displaying sports or gaming. I couldn't verify this myself as they didn't have a demo model on display, but they seemed knowledgeable enough and i'd used them before.

they recommended the similarly priced lg 32ln540v that i ended up buying. so far i've watched hd sports and a blu ray film from last year (ice age 4) and it looks beautiful.

:smashin: Congrats! The LG is a great looking TV. As for the motion blur...personally I haven't had any trouble with the F5000 so far. Maybe its because I don't know what to look for but its not once made me think 'oh no what the hell was that?!'.

Quick question regardin the F5000; is it proper 100hz, or just Samsung's marketing spiel for '50hz with software interpolation'?

If the latter then I think I may go for the 42ls5600.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but both of these TVs are still very common and cheap so I'm sure others found this via Google.

To answer the question directly above, the Samsung is not true 100Hz. It's their Clear Motion Rate technology, the TV is 50/60Hz.

I have had both of these sets, originally I opted for the LG, unfortunately after a couple nights it started to power cycle, within a few days I was lucky to get an hour out of it so I returned it and replaced with the Samsung. I'm no expert so bare that in mind and I've only spent a week with each set but here's the pros and cons I found.

LG 42ln540v Pros:

• Good calibration tools with ISF wizard
  • Game mode
  • Decent image (out of box image fine)
  • Nice clean menus
  • USB mode was relatively quick and worked well with average file support
Cons:

• Not great blacks
  • Very slight edge clouding/bleeding
  • No 3.5 headphone port
  • Poor sound
  • Fairly 'chunky' design
Samsung [XXX]F5000 Pros:

• Better image
  • Better blacks
  • Far better speakers/sound
  • 3.5 headphone port
  • Sport mode
  • Slimmer design compared to LG
Cons:

• Menus look rough (not HD and different from higher end models)
  • USB mode slower than LG
I should point out I've tried to be really picky to get a few pros and cons. If the LG wasn't faulty I would have been happy enough with it. However the image on the Samsung I believe is quite a lot better and the sound is far superior. My understanding is the Samsung is direct lit, while the LG is side lit.

I was 'lucky' enough to have both at the same time for a few days and if I had the choice, I would pick the Samsung if for no other reason than the image and blacks being that much better. If you're using the inbuilt speakers you'll also be thankful of the Samsung.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom