Samsung 40inch 7020 shimmer/flicker on left hand side?

FizzyAV

Standard Member
Hi All,

Been doing some searching on this TV as I've had it a month or so and its got an annoying problem.

When watching using calibrated setting suggested from various reviews, there is a very noticeable flicker/shimmer on the left hand side of the screen, going almost half way across. Most noticable with lighter coloured screens. The right hand side is fine and rock steady though....

It seems most noticable on std def pictures, and tends to get hidden by hi-def pictures. Its not noticeable on the test picture in the menu that I can see, but I guess thats a hi-def picture too.

I've tried removing any unnecessery cables, made sure no other equipment is close etc. Also updated the firmware twice now.

The only way I seem to be able to cure it is put the backlight up to 9 or 10, which kinda defeats the object of being able to adjust it - its more like hiding the problem. :(

I've also had the occasional brief "blackout" when using hdmi inputs, even from samsungs own bluray player that was supplied "free" and using high quality hdmi cables.

Does anybody else get this problem, or does it sound like I have a faulty tv? (presumably a backlight issue?).

Thanks,

- Ian.

K

kuby

Hi,

Im getting the exact same problem with my 40" series 6 LED. Annoying me aswell.

Would like to here a fix for this.

Thanks.

ramil1980

Standard Member
Hi All,

Been doing some searching on this TV as I've had it a month or so and its got an annoying problem.

When watching using calibrated setting suggested from various reviews, there is a very noticeable flicker/shimmer on the left hand side of the screen, going almost half way across. Most noticable with lighter coloured screens. The right hand side is fine and rock steady though....

It seems most noticable on std def pictures, and tends to get hidden by hi-def pictures. Its not noticeable on the test picture in the menu that I can see, but I guess thats a hi-def picture too.

I've tried removing any unnecessery cables, made sure no other equipment is close etc. Also updated the firmware twice now.

The only way I seem to be able to cure it is put the backlight up to 9 or 10, which kinda defeats the object of being able to adjust it - its more like hiding the problem. :(

I've also had the occasional brief "blackout" when using hdmi inputs, even from samsungs own bluray player that was supplied "free" and using high quality hdmi cables.

Does anybody else get this problem, or does it sound like I have a faulty tv? (presumably a backlight issue?).

Thanks,

- Ian.
I also had the HDMI blackout on my recent PS3, and had shimmer/flickering more visable when watching BluRay's for some reason. I've got eh 40" 559, Which i upgraded the firmware and the blackout have now been cured. The flickering is better but still is visable sometimes

FizzyAV

Standard Member
It does seem to differ in intensity. Just checked now and I can hardly see it - so may be heat related or something. The same way that sometimes the shutdown tone/jingle makes the speakers resonate a bit but other times is fine. Its tempremental. :D

Having said that I've just gone into the service menu and disabled the CE Dimming option which seems to have helped a bit (although will have to watch it for a while and see whether it comes back). Couldn't get into the advanced menu before as nothing happened when I pressed "0000".

I've also had the hdmi blanking since the last firmware update but it doesn't seem to be doing it anywhere near as often. When I first had it it would do it at least a couple of times during watching a blu-ray movie. :O

Last edited:

Graham

I had this problem on my Samsung 786 - it had to go back as i noticed it straight away. It was most noticeable on the lower half of the screen and only occured on 50hz signals - it disappeared on 24/60 hz material. Very odd. I could see it clearly on still picture on, say, a menu screen from a DVD - but during sport it was obvious during normal play when there was a lot of light green grass for example.

FizzyAV

Standard Member
I had this problem on my Samsung 786 - it had to go back as i noticed it straight away. It was most noticeable on the lower half of the screen and only occured on 50hz signals - it disappeared on 24/60 hz material. Very odd. I could see it clearly on still picture on, say, a menu screen from a DVD - but during sport it was obvious during normal play when there was a lot of light green grass for example.
Thanks - did you get a replacement or a refund? If the former was it any better?

Trying to way up whether its worth the hastle of trying to deal with samsung support, or comet or just live with it.

Clive101

Standard Member
HELLO I have a samsung 7020 55" series 7 and have white lights in all four corners shinning into the screen with white clouds showing in the centre of the screen. Have sent back for a new replacement. Maybe i should ask for my money back instead any other ideas?
Regards Clive

Last edited:

Clive101

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply am sending back the TV should I get a new one or purchase a different TV. If so what should I purchase?
Regards Clive

haujobbz

Basically im in the same boat as you, i bought a 40 inch version and get the problems you describe:(

Im getting a replacment tommorrow and am willing to persist cause these screens are so good ..i love mine but i cant deal with these issues..:confused:

If the next one from john lewis is bad or worse, im going to try a third..if that isnt ok i will try to tweak it more to improve things..cause i really want to keep this set.

Clive101

Standard Member
Yes I agree the picture is fantasic, I may give the Samsung one more try. The only problem is that other people seem to have the same problem and Sansung today said this was the first they had this type of complaint.
When the 28 day return or money back rule has expired it may well be a different issue.
I did purchase a 5 year extended warrenty but a shimmer is open to interpertation and perhaps the insurance company may not pay out. Possibly the tech is too new. After the second tv I will not go back for a third. Good for your persistance. Please get back to me for an update. I realy hope the problem is solved and the new tv is perfect for you. I shall keep my fingers crossed.
Regards Clive

Clive101

Standard Member
Went to the suppliers today to see the new tv and test it before it was shipped. Yes the shimmering - torch lights are still there but not as bad.
Think i may purchase a different tv any suggestions?
Regards Clive:lease: