Samsung 40F71BX v Sharp LC42XD1E

fran24

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

My Dad wants to buy an LCD TV and we have narrowed it down to these two. Can anyone out there recommend which one is the best or any pro's or cons etc. We looked at these TVs in our local currys and the picture on the samsung looked fantastic but it doesn't have freeview and is a bit more expensive.

He will only be watching sky through it as he is 70 and doesn't own any games consoles ha ha.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Ps I am a girlie so not too technical replies please!!!

Fran,
Does he want it now ? or can he wait a few weeks, as I understand the Sharp is to have a revamp, the new set sounds as though it will be even better.
IMHO the Sharp is the better unit, although I have read a lot about banding issues. That said I'd still go for that set over the Samsung, all the demos I've seen show the picture quality to be better on the Sharp.

Ian

Hi Ian,

He is in no rush we were going to see if they were reduced in the sales anywhere.

Why is the Sharp having a revamp, i thought it had only just come out??

Plus how will i know when it comes out and if it is one of the new batch etc.

Sorry to sound a bit thick.

Thanks

Fran

Hi Ian,

He is in no rush we were going to see if they were reduced in the sales anywhere.

Why is the Sharp having a revamp, i thought it had only just come out??

Plus how will i know when it comes out and if it is one of the new batch etc.

Sorry to sound a bit thick.

Thanks

Fran
This is completely normal as soon as one model range comes out the talk starts to drift towards the new models to be announced. We won't see the new Sharp model until Spring, which is about right in the normal timescales of manufacturer releases, ie, a new model every 6 mths or so.

the 42" sharps are free from banding.
There is a rumour of a new model coming out from sharp, nothing official. Some rumours say the new model will have a built in hard disk to record programs on (makes sense going by the model name), others say there will be an upgraded spec.
I don't think the XD1E will be discontinued when the HD1E comes out.
It is believed that the HD1E will be announced the second week in Jan.

I thnik the Samsung F series is the one that can't do 1:1 pixel mapping - can anyone verify ?
( in simple speak if you had a high def source such as sky HD or a HD DVD or bluray drive 1:1 mapping *should* mean you get a sharper picture.).

Thanks for all your help thinking i learning a bit of stuff on here.

The Sharp it is then, but will wait a bit before we get it.

Will have to keep looking on here coz you guys will no when the new model is out.

:clap:

Fran

the samsung has a firmware update now so 1.1 pixel matching will be an option. Everyone who has the F series samsung seems to love it. check the thread. I think its the one ill be getting in the new year.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom