1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung 40" LCD - LE40R51B

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by grimboy, May 13, 2005.

1. grimboy

grimboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Has anybody got one of these or thinking about getting one of these?

I am looking for a large screen sutible for all functions on Media Center 2005, including PC usage, DVD's, and freeview. After searching high and low for a plasma with a high res (1024x768) I came across this LCD which is very resonably priced from be-direct.co.uk.

Can anybody give me the low down on this screen and what issues I might come accross? I'm still quite new to all of this and there is a lot of products out there.....

Cheers all,

Dan

2. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    1024 x 768? Surely not, as this is 4:3, most LCD's @ 16:9 are 1366 res as is the new Samsung 40", looks like a fantastic LCD with good specs, I have decided against this panel due too the fact that it only has a HDMI and D-Sub input, not a DVI, which in my opinion is a must have for HTPC use.

3. grimboy

grimboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes sorry as was aware that the LCD panel was 1366 x 768, I actually meant that I need at least a res of 1024x768, so the screen would be sutible for pc use on the couch.

Why is DVI an absolute must for HTPC? Can't you get a DVI-HMDI cable? Would you get better quality from this rather than vga dsub? There again I think on this model I read that you cannot use the HMDI with a PC input? Do you know this might be?

Also, if you've discounted this one what others are you considering at a sub £2k price?

Dan

4. grimboy

grimboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody else comment on this screen?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes, I've seen one run, not my cup of tea at all, it's got a shocking response time, only suitable for an estate agent's window IMHO

6. grimboy

grimboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what's do mean by responce time and how does that effect the viewing of it?

Sorry for the beginner q's...

Dan

7. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    the response time quaoted on many specs is how quick the individual pixels used to make up the image are switched on and off. The quicker the better slow response times measured in milli seconds, usually means a slight juddering or blurring of the image. Good response times of around 12ms should mean a decent picture.:clap:

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Usually means 'smearing', like the mouse pointer you can use. In mouse properties, switch on 'trail' and you will get some idea. Fast moving objects leave an after image behind, the new image is not created in their place quickly enough.

9. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Are you sure it was the Samsung 40" LCD - LE40R51B and not the previous 40" LCD, as I thought this model is a pre-order and not available until at least June, also the Response Time is quoted as 12ms, which is up there with the best currently.

10. grimboy

grimboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So this might be the better option then?

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    One of the privileges of my position. Quoted time and real world time are not always the same. Saw it along with a 24" 1920x1200 panel that did impress me. So much so I'm thinking of one for myself.

12. aknott@knottron

aknott@knottron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was about to order a LE40R51B, but now not so sure. Is the response really that bad? Anyone else seen one? Any ideas where i can see one? SW London area? Perhaps I could just order it and send it back if i don't like it, although bit of a hastle and big postage costs I imagine..

Cheers

13. newsagent

newsagent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Crosses off the only LCD screen I was considering and heads back to the plasma forum :rolleyes:

14. locutus

locutus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tested one of these in Currys using the Day After Tomorrow and the picture looked great. Didnt see any smearing, colours were vivid and the contrast was good.
    I am ready to put down the £1700 for this tv but wish that somewhere hada review up of it.