Samsung 37" R88 (R) Panel? + SD Quality

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by merlinski, Apr 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. merlinski

merlinski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been following with great intrest the threads on different quality panels inside the R8 series Samsung LCD's so I checked out in several different stores the R88 and 87 models. Now unless I've been looking in the wrong place (which I'm sure I haven't I've looked at the photos posted?) in the brackets is an (R) on the panels I've seen today!

What is this panel?

Also is it me or am I the only one who feels they are actually taking a MASSIVE downgrade in quality as far as standard def goes, because I'm not being funny but my Trinitron Sony 32" of about 4 Years almost appears to give neer high def performance in DVD and Freeview with individual hairs and texture, where it is all lost now in what I deem to be unacceptable, or below minimum standard, viewing on what I now come to call Non-SD Compatible panels. I know all about the technology reasoning etc, but spending up to a grand on a downgrade apart from my console needs is really making me feel gutted. What's the point in even broadcasting digital SD chanels if not a single modern panel can show it acceptably. £2000 X2000 Sony panels included.

One last Q, if I buy a 1080 set, what does a 720p game look like on it - worse than on a 720 set?

Cheers guys, sorry my first post is such a negative one - I still want a set, just for PS3 really but am gutted about this drop. Am I looking at a good set with the R88...

PS. For some reason today I continually found that the R88 sets looked better on screen than the R87!?

Help ease my weary mind!

2. merlinski

merlinski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, my mistake - I believe I should be looking for something after the (R), but I don't recall seeinga letter at all!?

All help appreciated still as I'm still intrested, why I don't know after what I whitnessed today in stores!? lol

3. jason g

jason g
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,778
    i went in currys today to have a look about and i had a look at the 88 series along with a toshiba C3030D.
    not really sure what the feed was on display but the sammy looked a bit better than the tosh but the tosh might not have been set correct.
    it looked ok though and the r88 was one that for looks was one i shortlisted.
    the 26 inch looked really small though to the other ones.
    i liked the blue light on the front as well.
    there was an orion one for 400 quid that i liked the look of as well but there was no freeview, but i could get a freeview box so that wouldnt worry me.
    i couldnt see the sammy 87 so i cant compare it to the 88 but the 88 looked quite nice, and 2 ladies actually bought one of the 26 inch ones while i was there so for looks its good, and the picture looked ok.
    problem is, is that u cant really see how good they are in stores due to them all connected up and after a while i had to get out because it was doing my head in constantly looking at the tvs. :suicide: