Samsung 37" R87 vs. M87

rjtaylor

Standard Member
Hi,

My search of the 37" LCD market pretty much led me to the LE37M87. Seems the firmware updates have the majority of the reported issues sorted. However after reading a number of posts, and seeing this months "what home cinema" reporting the R87 being the best 37"'er, I'm wondering if its worth paying the xtra ~£200 for the 1080p model on a 37" TV?

Most people seem to say you need a tv >40" to see a difference of 720vs 1080, so why did Samsung release the M87?

I'm willing to pay the extra money if it is really worth it - what are people's views?

Thanks in advance. :clap:

Yojimb0

Standard Member
I too would like to see an answer to this, (as my own topic was ignored by all but one person who pointed out that i could get the 40" M87 for more or less the same price as the 37"). Also I have never seen a website that has reviewd both sets so its hard to see what you are paying for with the M87 (other than 1080p)

JamesMcC

Standard Member
Can someone please help with this. I am thinking on purchasing the LE37M87. I will be watching TV via a standard arial (for the time being) and using it also for a PS3. Is there a big difference between the 37R87 and the 37M87? Bigger screens are not an option so I would appreciate if these are not compared to 40+" screens. Thanks in advance for any replies.

turco

I am also stuck with this model.I think M87 will be better while playing 1080p games.

davejm

I have the 37" M87, and I think it's fantastic. It doesn't have the Super Clear Panel like the 40", but I'm still really happy with it.

I can't directly compare it to a 37" R87, but I don't really think there's going to be any difference apart from the panel being 1080p.

I'm glad I went for this set, as I can sit close enough (around 6') to notice the extra resolution. High bitrate 1080p content looks superb, and even Sky through RGB SCART looks fantastic now that I have it setup right.

Blackbolt360

The main decision you need to make with an R8 Samsung vs an M8 is if you want 1080p or not. M8 has 1080p (1920x1080 native), R8 doesn't, its 1366x768 native. Thats the only deciding factor between the two models.

JamesMcC

Standard Member
The main decision you need to make with an R8 Samsung vs an M8 is if you want 1080p or not. M8 has 1080p (1920x1080 native), R8 doesn't, its 1366x768 native. Thats the only deciding factor between the two models.

Average sitting distance from the TV would be 6 to 9 ft. Would I get the full value from Full HD 1080p from these distances?

davejm

At 6 ft, I think you would. I can definately notice the higher resolution on mine at that distance. Any further away and I'm not so sure.

Blackbolt360

It all depends on your eye sight. If you have crystal clear vision then you'll notice, whether or not that difference is worth the extra cash, is totally upto you.

Slider09

Is the only difference between the two that the M8 has a 1080 panel?

JamesMcC

Standard Member
Yeah I have one... see my above post mate. :)

Can you tell me what it is like with a Standard Arial signal and also for watching normal DVD's? I am getting a PS3 next month so the DVD's can be watched through that, however standard arial is what I have at the moment.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom