Samsung 32" problems with Currys mastercare :(

S

Slarty66

Recently my samsung 32" LE32R51BD had developed a bad problem with the screen.
It started out as a faint line across the middle of the picture but a few months later dark patches started appearing at the bottom right of the screen.Looked like the backlight wasn't working in that part of the screen.
This problem became more apparent when my sky Hd arrived.Not too good as the lcd was only a year old.
As i'd bought it at currys ( i know :rolleyes: ) i was covered by a 5 year mastercare plan.
They sent out some engineers,two young guys who spent 10 mins in my house agreeing that yes the screen was knackered and that the tv would more than likely be written off as this model is'nt made anymore.
They also said that sky hd was amazing as they had'nt seen it working before !!! Great training then :D
So last monday they came picked up the tv and was told it would be either repaired or i'd get a replacement.
Phoned today and guess what they have sent off for a replacement tft which is still on order,the lady on the phone said that they will contact me when it has arrived and that it should be repaired within two weeks.
After searching on this site and reading other people's stories about they're dealings with mastercare i'm a bit concerned.
According to the agreement they must repair the item within 21 days but guess what,'Sometimes it's very difficult to get hold of the right buttons,knobs and casing for damaged products.So we don't dissappoint please be aware that this may take longer than 21 days.When a product is still operational and safe to use a 21-day replacement will not apply'.
So from what i've gathered it loks like i could be in for a long wait.
I can see them trying to fix my tv,keep it for another couple of months and then coming to conclusion that they can't fix it :thumbsdow
Anyone else had this problem ?

I sympathise buddy and well hate to say but you could be in for a long wait. I bought a toshiba rear projection tv from currys last year, anyway in January i noticed a colour stain develop on the right hand side, i phoned currys and one of the engineers came out and agreed there was a problem and that it would have to go away to mastercare. They collected it a few days later, well it was nearly a month before it returned and guess what....... the fault was still there so god knows what they had done. Called currys again and another engineer came out, he had a a look at the shop report and said that what they had done was not needed and that they needed to do something else (didn't feel me with alot of confidence). Anyway a few days later the tv was picked up again, nearly another month went by before it returned STILL with the same fault, the funniest thing is that when we got the tv it wouldnt stand up right.......... would you believe it checked under the tv and they hadn't even put the feet in the correct holes lol by this time i was fuming. The annoying thing was that at the time the tv had gone away the first time i had just bought a xbox 360 and well for 2 months i could not play it, well that's a lie, my parents did lend me there 14ich portable but trying to play cod2 on there was ridiculous so i just packed it away. Anyway the long short of it is i went into currys and demanded a refund which i was given. Wth my experience if i ever have a tv that goes faulty again and it has to be given to mastercare i think i will just go out and buy a new tv. It's more than likely and from what i've read from other people your get a refund evetually anyway as they just don't seem to be able to fix anything.

Well shock horror after recieving a letter today telling me that they had sent for the replacement lcd tft,out of the blue i got a phone call telling me that the tv was being written off and my vouchers were in the post !!
Seems that ive been lucky this time,pity i still have to use currys/dixons for my next lcd !

You don't have to accept the vouchers, under the sale of goods act you are entitled to a refund, replacement or repair - vouchers aren't a refund as such and you can request cash.

Thanks i might have to try this as according to the agreement the vouchers will be only worth the cost of a tv of 'equivalent specification'.
As i paid £1199 for it last year and now the latest model costs £899 it looks like i'll be out of pocket.But then again i suppose thats not they're problem that they cost less now :rolleyes: !

You should be able to get the full £1199 back if they refuse start hinting at the small claims court.

you will recieve vouchers for equivalent spec thats stated int he t&C of the extended warranty hinting at small claims will get you nowhere as to trying to get cash refund they are basically replacing the screen via vouchers so that out of the question.
been there and done it
edit we are not were

Update :-
Phoned mastercare as my vouchers had'nt arrived yet ,they said that they were sent 3 day ago ,no surprises there then!!!
Was told they were sending £899.99 for the tv and £237.30 refund for the remaining coverplan all in vouchers.
Went to my local currys and noticed that all the lcd's that i would be interested in are all priced at £999.99,mmm i thought i was getting a tv at the same specs as my old tv ?
I asked a salesperson and they phoned mastercare who kindly faxed a picture of the tv they have recommended for me a philips 32pf5521:( .
Not in stock and only availble on order.Plus it has no SVGA connection for my xbox360.
Went home a bit on the angry side,phoned mastercare and was told that i could ask for £100 on top of the price but id have to wait for a manager of the store to authourise it and then only mon-fri during working hours!!
Oh and i was told that the price of tv's do go down and that this tv was quite a good deal,pity my tv was only a year old and that they're 5 year coverplan was a waste of time.
After calming down i phoned the bristol branch of currys and talked to a guy who knew what i was talking about understood what i needed and said that mastercare have no idea about pricing and that they have no end of trouble with customers being fobbed off with undervalued items.
He said that i should have been told that the refund for my whatever happens policy can be used for my purchase.So infact i have £1139.29 to spend.
Why could'nt my local branch and mastercare not tell me this and save me the upset and the waste of a day!!!
So now it seems i will get a replacement...once the vouchers do arrive !!!

Got the vouchers today,straight up to bristol and got a sony kdl32s201.
The first salesperson said i could'nt use the refund for my coverplan with my purchase but he said that he'd ask his manager.
Turns out he was the guy i talked to yesterday,so 30mins later i've got a tv and to balance up the vouchers a new iron for my wife as ours blew up last week !!!
Now its just a question of me getting the tv settings set.
A big thank you to Ashley a rare breed a currys manager that knows what they're talking about !!!:D

Yes its always pleasing to find good staff - a rare breed indeed.

Its often the company ethos that makes the mostly rubbish staff what they are...

hotmaj said:
you will recieve vouchers for equivalent spec thats stated int he t&C of the extended warranty hinting at small claims will get you nowhere as to trying to get cash refund they are basically replacing the screen via vouchers so that out of the question.
been there and done it
edit we are not were

T&C's cannot overrule british law, as you are covered by the sale of goods act 1979 as ammended you can request a full refund and hinting at the small claims court may get you nowhere but actually issuing a small claims proceeding will get you a full refund and possibly (depending on how you play it) interest at 8% from the day you bought the TV

Blacksheep1979 said:
T&C's cannot overrule british law, as you are covered by the sale of goods act 1979 as ammended you can request a full refund and hinting at the small claims court may get you nowhere but actually issuing a small claims proceeding will get you a full refund and possibly (depending on how you play it) interest at 8% from the day you bought the TV
You are quite true Ts&Cs can't overide british law but as the TV was just over a year old the most under the sale of goods act he could if hoped for was a free of charge repair. If the TV had the problem from day one (it is up to the retailer to prove otherwise) and you had reported it to them within a reasonable amount of time (6 months I seem to remeber is the limit) then yes you could press for a refund through the small claims court. The small claims court will not always rule in favour of the person making the claim as factors such as wear and tear and the amount of useage are taken in to consideration. Normally issuing a small claims against the company will spur them into action if it is uneconomical to defend the claim.

Just my observation anyway!!!:rolleyes:

part of the sale of goods act is to do with being fit for puropse and that includes lifespan now you might not expect a £5 kettle to last for ages but it is reasonable to expect a £1k+ telly to last more than 12 months and as such you can claim and if (as was found) they can't repair it they either have to replace (with same model or equal) or give a refund.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom