1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung 32 LCD and sky

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by utailor, Jan 10, 2005.

1. utailor

utailor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have any ideas i have the samsung 32in lcd and my sky currently connected to it via scart but the image seems pixalated and blocky at times I have been told by and AV shop that this is a know problem with LCD and sky. How ever this can be corrected by getting a RGB to component converter and using the component connectors on the back of the tv now this converters not cheap at 152 so was wondering if anyone else experiences this problem.

when i use the normal channels via the arial the image is much better.

Thanks

2. TrevorC

TrevorC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a 32" Samsung and indeed the picture is pixelated on some channels. I bought an RGB to component converter and the picture is better, although it does not get rid of the blockyness. LCD's are less forgiving with low bit-rate programs (Some Sky channels) than a CRT. I think I payed £75 for a crypt RGB converter.

I take it you have set the Sky box to output RGB?

3. utailor

utailor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply when you say set the sky box to output RGB is that via the menus on the sky box. Curently its just connected via the scart.

Would you recommend the converter you have or do you think I should go for the more expensive one.

I connected the PC to the unit last night this worked a treat

4. chris210972

chris210972
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    look in the sky box menu set up and see if u have selected rgb, otherwise it'll be outputting composite/pal which is very poor quailty anyway.

5. TrevorC

TrevorC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am very happy with the converter I have. There have been reviews of the more expensive ones on this forum in the past. I have not tried them so cannot comment.

If you have connected your PC to the screen, try playing back some HDTV material. That shows what the screen really can do.

6. utailor

utailor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the pc connected via VGA as my current laptop which is a toshiba widescreen one does no have the output so I am not sure if i can connect via that i think. what do you think

7. utailor

utailor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Message for trevourc hey I just bought a converter for 75 which is the CYP one it came with some cheap cables so I am waiting for better ones. However I connected the unit up so it went from sky to converter and then to TV set the signal from sky to be RGB and the picture quality seemed to worse am i missing something or due you think its the cables. I did also try connecting the sky box to the dvd recorder and set it to receive RGB and out put RGB and then put the converter after the dvd and still the same.

8. TrevorC

TrevorC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The setup I have is as follows.

Sky+ (TV scart) ->
    1m Cambridge Audio Fully wired scart lead £20 from Richer sounds. ->
    Cyp RGB - YUV ->
    1m RGB cables (nothing special) ->
    Component in of Samsung LW32A23 32"LCD.

From my experience of playing with the TV, the screen settings took a long time to get right. I cannot remember the actual setting I have but the contrast set to about 93 and the colour about mid way. I do use DNE on the TV, I know a lot of people are against any form of digital processing but I think it does improve contrast ratio.

I think the quality of output also varies between the digibox manufacturer. The Panasonic standard Sky box I did have, had much better picture than the Pace V2 Sky+ box that I have now.
    The channels that will give you the best picture on sky will be the movie channels. The horror channel is really really bad, all shopping channels are also terrible, ITV is also quite poor.

Hope this helps a little.

9. utailor

utailor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right its exactly what i have in terms of copnfig same converter by the looks of things think i might have to mess around with the tv settings. When i first received it , it did take some time before i got the picture right had serveral trips to currys thinking i might have a dud comparing it with the one on display.

10. TrevorC

TrevorC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you are still unhappy on Monday I will post the settings that I use. I'm at work at the moment so I cannot check. Everyone’s preferences are different, but it may provide a starting point.
    Note that optimal settings are different depending on the input that you are using. My S-Video settings are different to component settings, the TV does remember each inputs config which is good.

I have also linked up the Sky box via a Sweetspot card in my PC and then using Dscaler. As far as I can see the picture is not too much different, although the recordings are superb.

11. utailor

utailor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would be great Im hoping its just the cables coming from the converter but i doubt it we shall see i think a weekend of dabling is in order.