1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung 26in LCD and 1080i

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Ol!ver, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Ol!ver

Ol!ver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Now Im a bit of a newbie to HD, and have read as much as I can. I'm a little confused with one thing though. Based on the max resolution of my Sammy, the best it should be able to do is 720p correct? Now Ive had XBMC running in 1080i and all the menus etc get smaller than when running aat 720p. Now this to me means it is actually running at that res. This shouldn't be possible should it?

Am I missing somethng blantently obvious?

Chees
    :D

2. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's showing the signal, but not all of it - it's throwing info away - as you say, if there are 720 physical pixels in the height, there's no way to show 1080

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The LCD like all flat panels can accept an input source which has a greater resolution that the panel actually has (lower resolution input as well), it then uses it's internal scaling engine to resize the video to match the native resolution.

4. Ol!ver

Ol!ver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Yes that's what I would expect. But doing that should just drop it to 720i shouldnt it, meaning it looks the same as if I'd set it to that in the first place?

5. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    The scaler in the LCD is downscaling to 720. There's also de-interlacing going on in there, to convert to the necessary progressive format (720p). If the the signal from your XBMC was originally 720p, then it would be better to leave it as it was, rather than re-processing in the LCD.

6. mitor

mitor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Hi

In laymans terms when it downscales the image it doesn't actually change the "size" of the image just the detail level.

The small font will still be small but just less detailed if that makes any sense?