Samsung 2020 QLED Series TV Motion/Judder/Stutter/Frame Rate (Firmware Bug/Glitch)

I think they did something with the local dimming to try and stop blooming. It's made everything a bit darker and the dimming is slow to react and you can see it changing all the time in dark to light scene's. To make it light you can change the shadow detail up a few .it does my head in these sh*te updates .they carnt sort the big one out though !!.this tv is always going to be within spec with Samsung ,because they have washed there hand of it !!!
Thank you for the reply, I'll try shadow detail when I get the TV back tomorrow and see if that helps.
The PS4 menu screen, which is bright blue, used to be blindingly bright but it's just so muted now.
Something I didn't mention was that the TV used to get really hot. This wasn't a bad thing and to be expected given it's energy grade was G. After the update it ran a lot cooler which tied in with the lower brightness.
Blooming wasn't a huge deal to me, I just want my nice bright picture back :)

Thank you for the reply, I'll try shadow detail when I get the TV back tomorrow and see if that helps.
The PS4 menu screen, which is bright blue, used to be blindingly bright but it's just so muted now.
Something I didn't mention was that the TV used to get really hot. This wasn't a bad thing and to be expected given it's energy grade was G. After the update it ran a lot cooler which tied in with the lower brightness.
Blooming wasn't a huge deal to me, I just want my nice bright picture back :)
I remember something a while back regarding EU power regulations update. It remember some users reporting similar things. Seems Samsung can botch your telly whenever they like, last piece of technology I will ever buy with Samsung printed on it.

I remember something a while back regarding EU power regulations update. It remember some users reporting similar things. Seems Samsung can botch your telly whenever they like, last piece of technology I will ever buy with Samsung printed on it.
Yes this. I remember an update or two ago made the tv much dimmer than before and other people also said they noticed same. Again, regulations surely only affect models released after that time not previous released models so yet another bad showing for Samsung.

That was in a firmware update for many Samsung tv's, not just the 2020 versions but also with my q90r. Made no difference to the pq at all with my TV..

That was in a firmware update for many Samsung tv's, not just the 2020 versions but also with my q90r. Made no difference to the pq at all with my TV..
Think it was on this forum but someone was lucky enough to see both TVs which were same model but running the two different firmwares. They said that you could tell which one was running the latest firmware as the screen was dimmer. So make of that what you will.

Indeed my eyes do :)

Did anyone ever discover any work arounds that can help fix the judder on the Q90T when watching 50hz / 25fps content in the UK? Or is there literally nothing you can do about it?

Only Game Mode gets rid of it, but you can only use game mode with an external source (not in built tuner)

Ok.... I found some trick about changing to the Natural picture mode then back again, but that was for the Q80T.... I take it that doesn't work on Q90T? I'm trying to help my brother, so can't actively test this end!

So I got the TV back today from repair with exactly the same dim screen issue. It is still apparently 'within spec' although there is no way it outputs 2000 nits. I found an EU power regulation setting in the engineer menu (power off TV then press info, settings, mute, power) but all that does is add a message saying you may increase power consumption when changing eco settings... etc.
Is anyone able to confirm that their TV starts off bright for 5-10 seconds and then dims when rebooting by holding down power on the remote as that would be really helpful and confirm that my set is faulty or Samsung have just severely nerfed the firmware.

I have been following this thread for a while. I have a Q60T and have had the same issues with juddering, mostly during live sporting events. I have tried game mode, which helps some, but the problem still persists. Or did…

The problem I think is that the processor is not fast enough to account for dropped frames, and there is some effect still being applied even when all motion settings are turned off.

I turned off ambient light mode, performed a clean up, and then decided to turn off the network connection. I don’t need the tv to be connected to the internet because I use an AppleTV for all content. After doing this, I found everything worked faster and no juddering during live sports. Time will tell if this works long term, but it may be worth a shot. I will report back in a few days.

Did keeping that network connection disabled turn out to be a fix for you in the end, in terms of stopping the judder?

Did keeping that network connection disabled turn out to be a fix for you in the end, in terms of stopping the judder?
No, not a complete fix by itself, but I think it helped reduce the judder. I have settled on the following and have very minimal judder.

Game mode
Network off
Eco Solution off
Apple TV Match Frame Rate

I also regularly run “Device Care” to clear the memory. I am running the latest firmware.

Unfortunately even with the amount of posts on this thread and fact a number of people have returned TVs because of the issue, the fact it’s not been fixed over a year later goes to show they have no intentions of fixing as apparently according to them ‘it’s within specs’.

for me game mode is the only way to go and luckily this mode does get rid of the judder/stutter for me on the shows that show it the most. I would say that game mode on its own really messed with the colours and showed some text on a darker screen really over illuminating. However, turning on game mode motion plus and switching to custom and 0 on the sliders corrects the colour again and haven’t noticed any judder on this firmware using that method.

on my setup I have Freesat box plugged into receiver along with PS4 and roku. I put this input on game mode and leave in game mode for these devices. I watch football through Now on roku player.
then for other content I just use built in apps and the other content I’ve played eg. Disney, Apple, Netflix, YouTube and Amazon prime have been judder free as well as anything on Now that isn’t sport.
doing this has meant I haven’t got to keep switching between game mode on and off etc as it’s already on for devices that need it and off for anything else.

Did we get any confirmation if 2021 QLED series TVs were fixed and no stuttering noticed ?

I did post few months ago here with a tv reviewer on ytube, who mentioned some slight stuttering on his 2021 Qled panel, so just assumed it wasn't fixed.

Last edited:
So my Q80T decided to force a non existent update last night? Promptly bricked itself and then magically fell from my entertainment unit and died a graphic death... (boohoo)

Insurance is paying me out this week and then I'll probably not buy another TV and wait till next year and see where we are at... Good luck everyone else.

So my Q80T decided to force a non existent update last night? Promptly bricked itself and then magically fell from my entertainment unit and died a graphic death... (boohoo)

Insurance is paying me out this week and then I'll probably not buy another TV and wait till next year and see where we are at... Good luck everyone else.
I would definitely call that the best stroke of luck you will have this year!!!🤣🤣

I'm pointing my 1yr old in the direction of my Q80T in the hope she bashes it with her favourite heavy toy.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have this exact type of issue on a LG OLED BX - like a dragging effect (stutter or judder?) on things like game shows when people move their heads, snooker is particularly hard to watch with the balls dragging. I can actually even see the effect on the menu when I'm scrolling through the channels on Sky Q. It wasn't always there though, started about a month ago, which makes me wonder what happened and why... Putting it in game mode eliminates it all though so thanks for the tip on this thread. Had to play about with the settings to get the picture better but it looks good now.

So confused that people are complaining that the update made their TVs dimmer, yet mine was made brighter and other members in this thread too and also in the American forums. A tv testing site did a test on the latest firmware and can confirm the peak brightness has been increase.

game mode looks stunning and deep inky blacks.

So confused that people are complaining that the update made their TVs dimmer, yet mine was made brighter and other members in this thread too and also in the American forums. A tv testing site did a test on the latest firmware and can confirm the peak brightness has been increase.

Did some one not post that the usa had a separate update a month or so back and we were waiting to see if it came to Europe, that might be why it's brighter for them 🤷‍♂️👍

Did some one not post that the usa had a separate update a month or so back and we were waiting to see if it came to Europe, that might be why it's brighter for them 🤷‍♂️👍

I am talking about firmware
  • ver 2014.1

I am talking about firmware
  • ver 2014.1
USA are on 2016. They were on 2014.1 and then, about a week after that release, they got 2016.

On another note, I was using the q80 over the past few weeks to watch sport while the rest of the family used the main TV and I'm sure the stutter has got better a bit. It doesn't appear to be as bad as it was. And some shows that had it before and were awful are now watchable.
Anyone else notice this or is it just my eyes are getting old?

Agree.

How are you finding v2014.1 with regards to the stutter problem?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom